R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodyne DNA plug in - the long awaited crash machine  (Read 19850 times)

JGauthier

Melodyne DNA plug in - the long awaited crash machine
« on: December 02, 2009, 01:18:02 PM »

If you have ever used Melodyne, and I mean SERIOUSLY used and counted on it to work its magic, you have probably expierenced its "quirky" nature...

The program NEVER worked 100% but the results of flogging it to fruition were, IMHO, well worth it. Especially if you tried to work with multiple tracks... Boy could it get squirrely!

So Ive been waiting with baited breath for the new polyphonic melodyne. Even if it has artifacts and gets fishy, the ability to change a note in a chord is huge. Huge.

Luckily they sent us all beta versions to try which worked fine, but they weren't the plug in version.

Well the plug is out and it crashes. Hard. I mean press the button manually on the tower to restart crahses... And this room its in FLIES all day long with 200+ tracks... We have had ZERO crashes in months.

So a heads up to those who are excited or considering purchase- it still doesn't work. They pushed it back what a year, realeased beta versions and it still doesn't work.

So no review of DNA itself. No review of the interface. No review of sound quality. To review those things, it needs to not crash and actually work.

Im sure things will get better and please post in this thread ANYTHING related to Melodyne DNA. I have to buy it eventually... For now, Ill just let it crash studio A.

maarvold

Re: Melodyne DNA plug in - the long awaited crash machine
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:08:35 PM »

The Melodyne PlugIn has always been just about a stone's throw short of unusable on my quad core [Intel] MacPro 2.2 gHz.  It just takes over my computer and does whatever it wants, leaving me saying "wtf" a lot.  I'll grant you, it's powerful and it does do a lot without too much hassle, but--in addition to it 'hijacking' my computer every 5 minutes or so--there's a bug that makes it chase the midi map (in PT 8.x) and it varispeeds the audio clocking of the captured audio somehow and makes things sound grainy and creates zipper noise when the midi tempo map changes occur: a heartbreaker if you didn't catch the problem until all the work is done and you are ready to print the repaired track.  If you notice this happening, you can delete the midi tempo map and capture the audio again.  I never got into it deeply enough to see if the repitching already performed would still be intact, but my guess is no.  

Long-winded story short, on my computer, plain old Melodyne takes so much computing power that I can't see a polyphonic plugin version running on any but the very fastest machine, probably with Snow Leopard.  YMMV.
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 09:58:44 PM »

I guess I'm sticking with AT until they fix this.  I just wish that AT had formant control, so I could avoid chipmunk effect during large interval changes.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Tomas Danko

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 07:07:20 AM »

FWIW, I've been running Melodyne Cr8 v3.2 on my Dual G5 2.7 GHz Power Mac for years and it's never ever been a problem in any way. I've used the AU plug-in as well, but prefer working separately in Melodyne. It's never hogged the CPU etiher.
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

JGauthier

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 09:47:19 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Sun, 06 December 2009 04:07

FWIW, I've been running Melodyne Cr8 v3.2 on my Dual G5 2.7 GHz Power Mac for years and it's never ever been a problem in any way. I've used the AU plug-in as well, but prefer working separately in Melodyne. It's never hogged the CPU etiher.

Thats good to hear. Ive run it for years in Protools and its NEVER worked 100%... And I mean for anyone I know. I tried stand alone a few times and it was definitely better, but I want a plug in PT not stand alone, so Im stuck..

The Melodyne bridge was complete ass. Talk about random crap happening... But I still flogged through it. It really is way better than auto tune IMHO...

But Im about to buy auto tune again... It works, all the time.

jetbase

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 10:17:49 PM »

I mentioned problems I had with the regular Melodyne plugin earlier this year in this thread over in 'Whatever Works':
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/428972/6028/?ms g_428972

We battled through it for that project, but I believe the producer has since purchased Autotune Evo rather than continue to deal with the Melodyne problem. I still like Melodyne as a stand alone program, but it's not as convenient as using a plugin in Pro Tools.

Has anyone used Waves Tune? Care to comment &/or compare to Autotune & Melodyne?
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

maarvold

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »

JGauthier wrote on Sun, 06 December 2009 18:47

...But Im about to buy auto tune again... It works, all the time.

My very informal... well, guess is really the correct word at this point, is that AT might sound smoother and more 'high res'/less glitchy.  But if someone has spent some time sorting this out, I'd love to hear their take on it.  Neither one, for me, has a really great graphic mode interface, but they're both pretty good in that regard, just different methods to accomplish the same end.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 12:39:34 AM »

The problem with using it stand alone is that I really need to hear the vocal in context with the music to know if it's right or not.  Going back and forth between the two programs like that is just too time consuming.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 12:53:27 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 07 December 2009 00:39

Going back and forth between the two programs like that is just...

...not an option.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 06:29:11 AM »

I guess the reason why I actually prefer the stand-alone version is that I never use it in automatic mode. Instead, I overhaul the vocals manually and tweak things until I think this will be the vocal tracks in the song and be done with it.

So practically speaking, I put on my scrutinizer hat for a while and alter pitch and timing across all vocal tracks. From there, I just update the audio files in the song project and go back to arranging and mixing etc.

I like to commit to the source material, and not deal with pitch issues or comping etc once I'm doing the final mixing.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 06:49:38 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 07 December 2009 05:39

The problem with using it stand alone is that I really need to hear the vocal in context with the music to know if it's right or not.  Going back and forth between the two programs like that is just too time consuming.  

Far from ideal work flow wise, but you can bounce out an instrumental of the mix and run it on one track in Melodyne while futzing about with the vocals.

I feel that the end result you get with Melodyne is totally worth the extra work.

jetbase

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 04:46:14 PM »

Sometimes I load in a bass or acoustic guitar track to reference the vocals to. But I must say, I don't seem to have problems if I just use the plugin to tune a line here or there.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

marcel

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 07:28:28 PM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Sun, 06 December 2009 04:07

I have been using the RTAS plugin successfully for years, also on a G5.  Perhaps some of the problems are with Intel-based computers?  

I am, however, very strict with my workflow.  I tune a track (or a section), print it to another track, and immediately remove the plugin.  Otherwise I get CPU chokes (2x2GHz G5) pretty quickly.

I do have 2 specific complaints about Melodyne:

-Loss of HF image, or 'air' or whatever you want to call it.  Probably an inevitable result of this type of processing, although I don't remember it being as bad with AT.

-The inability to tune particular phrases without 'cycling' or 'warbling' artifacts, similar to the MIDI mapping problems Michael described above (I think), but without the MIDI events.
Best, Marcel

maarvold

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 02:47:08 PM »

marcel wrote on Mon, 07 December 2009 16:28

I do have 2 specific complaints about Melodyne:

-Loss of HF image, or 'air' or whatever you want to call it.  Probably an inevitable result of this type of processing, although I don't remember it being as bad with AT.

-The inability to tune particular phrases without 'cycling' or 'warbling' artifacts, similar to the MIDI mapping problems Michael described above (I think), but without the MIDI events.

The 2nd one is as I remembered: a sort of warbling/zipper type sound sometimes.  The only thing that I get with AT 5 (as an AudioSuite plugin, which is how I usually use it these days) is the very occasional chirp.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

letemin

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 05:45:16 PM »

Anyone at all using the new editor plugin with success? Are problems related to OS by any chance?

As an aside, I see the new DNA stuff as more of an experimental production tool as opposed to a fix-it tool, so if manipulation yields a loss of air or if there are artifacts or, that's fine by me.  Like an instrument, it's got it's own type of sound (artifacts).
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 19 queries.