R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bass synth  (Read 2548 times)

j.hall

bass synth
« on: November 29, 2009, 12:30:22 PM »

has anyone here ever had any quality time with the elusive Akai Deep Impact bass synth pedal?

what about the Korg G5?

i'm wondering if these pedals do anything SoundToys Filterfreak can't do.

thoughts?

Podgorny

Re: bass synth
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 11:24:17 AM »

I've wanted a Deep Impact ever since I heard Time is Running Out, but there was no way I was going to pay $700 for one.
Now that the gear market has gotten a little more reasonable, I might start looking.

But no, no personal experience.  You're welcome to borrow my WMD Geiger Counter though.  It makes some pretty wacky synth bass sounds.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:47:03 AM »

one just sold on ebay from the UK, after money conversion it was about 680.00

i think they hold their value well.  part of me thinks it's an investment as well.  it appears that you really won't lose money on owning one.

i'm just a bit skeptical that i can't do everything it can do with filterfreak.

though, having it right in front of you and just turning knobs right then and there certainly has value to me.

mdbeh

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 10:26:30 PM »

I don't know the Akai pedal, so maybe it's not a relevant comparison, but the Boss Bass Synth Pedal is fun and way less than $700:

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/SYB-5/

It's a pretty cheesy, low-fi sound, but it has that kind of physical grind/throb/whatever that I've yet to hear out of plugins, even good ones like Soundtoys.
Brian Harper
Chicago, IL

mdbeh

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:53:16 PM »

Perhaps I should read my own links more closely:

The BOSS SYB-3 was the world’s first bass synthesizer to be packed into a compact pedal, and it found favor with experimentalists and tone afficiandos alike. Today, the next-generation bass-synth pedal has arrived —the SYB-5. Utilizing the latest in DSP technology, the SYB-5 faithfully reproduces the fat and sharp sound characteristics of classic analog synthesizers.

... so it may not be that different from Filterfreak after all.  I think I've only used the SYB-3.
Brian Harper
Chicago, IL
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.