R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know this machine OTARI MX 5050 8D  (Read 3916 times)

,,deda,, Tim Porter

Anyone know this machine OTARI MX 5050 8D
« on: November 28, 2009, 01:34:33 PM »

I am looking for anyone with an opinion on a 1979  OTARI MX 5050 8D 1/2 inch 8 track recorder.

One I have not seen before and nothing on Google about it at all.

I'm thinking parts wise that most parts that wear out on tape deck  are the rollers. transport parts etc. and that any Otari 5050 would have the same parts.

If anyone knows anything about I'd love to hear it. I was real curious if it had any crappy Dolby C or B built in or if one could bypass it if it did.

Thanks to all in advance for you help, regards ,,deda,,

index.php/fa/13821/0/
http://i33.tinypic.com/2yltiyo.jpg

"Practice does not make Perfect, Perfect Practice makes Perfect" Vince Lombardi

,,deda,, Tim Porter

Re: Anyone know this machine OTARI MX 5050 8D
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 01:36:31 PM »

Another photo, regards ,,deda,,

index.php/fa/13822/0/

,,deda,, Tim Porter

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »

Another picture, regards ,,deda,,

index.php/fa/13823/0/

,,deda,, Tim Porter

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 01:40:43 PM »

Another picture, regards ,,deda,,

index.php/fa/13824/0/

,,deda,, Tim Porter

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:44:14 PM »

This is the last one picture.

Here's to someone with a lot of knowledge of this tape deck, Flecther, Jim Williams?

Thanks to all on any info or links about this deck, regards ,,deda,,

index.php/fa/13825/0/

Nobtwiddler

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 06:41:52 PM »

Bought one of those new, when the machine first came out.
Wonderful sounding recorder.
Built like a tank.

Musta been sometime in the early 80's, I believe?

I do remember something about having to modify it to do punches?
I believe channels that were in record would not play back automatically.
Something about the Similsinc?
I recall having to go to the machine itself to take it out of record after a punch.
But then after the mod everything was fine...

Sorry I can't be of more help. Long time ago....but I would check into it a bit further.
PS...NO dolby as far as I can remember..
Funny enough I recently transferred tracks that were cut on that machine, and I gotta tell ya, they sounded pretty damn good for back then~!

,,deda,, Tim Porter

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »

Thanks a bunch Paul your on hands use of the machine and the fact that it sounds  good are real plus's for me. I can not find a thing on this machine but will keep after it.

If you can scan the pictures a couple of more times maybe the Punch In Mod will come to mind. Jim Williams probably knows the mod so I'll pursue him as well.

Your comments and detailed explanation of the machines quirks that would need modding are Gold.

Thanks again you have been a huge help, regards ,,deda,,

Nobtwiddler wrote on Sat, 28 November 2009 17:41

Bought one of those new, when the machine first came out.
Wonderful sounding recorder.
Built like a tank.

Musta been sometime in the early 80's, I believe?

I do remember something about having to modify it to do punches?
I believe channels that were in record would not play back automatically.
Something about the Similsinc?
I recall having to go to the machine itself to take it out of record after a punch.
But then after the mod everything was fine...

Sorry I can't be of more help. Long time ago....but I would check into it a bit further.
PS...NO dolby as far as I can remember..
Funny enough I recently transferred tracks that were cut on that machine, and I gotta tell ya, they sounded pretty damn good for back then~!

McAllister

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 10:16:09 PM »

I owned one for a lot of years. Did my first serious (well, as serious as I get, anyway) multi-tracking on one.

I loved it.

Yay, 8-track.

That said, you'll need someone to set it up, or teach you how to do it. Buy lots of head cleaner. Have fun.

I got a 1/2" splice block, if your interested....

M
Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.

DarinK

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 12:06:55 PM »

It's definitely a step up from the Tascam & Fostex 1/2" 8 tracks of the same time period.  It is a pro multitrack recorder that you can actually align easily, unlike Tascams & Fostexes.  If you want a 1/2"  8 track, this is the one to get.
All the usual concerns about head wear, parts availability, etc., do apply, of course.
(A buddy of  mine has had one for years & lugs it around to practice spaces & such to record bands, and gets great results. It does generally take two people to carry the thing.)

,,deda,, Tim Porter

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 03:33:25 PM »

Thanks for your input it helps a lot. I have heard nothing but good about it so I aill give it a go.

I wish I was analog only with a 16 track 1" or 24 track 2" but the good decks are so expensive, not like 20 years ago but still $5,000 low end to $15,000 for the big name decks.

BUT I also do not have nor can I find a great 32 x 24 x 24 minimum sized analog console, also  very expensive when they are for sale. So this console issue has to be fixed 1st before I could even access 16 tracks or 24 tracks.

Then throw in the price of 1" or 2" tape neither of which is cheap. The console is the biggest problem though at this point.

I do have a very good English made console that would work with this 8 track Otari.
AND I have a huge stash of 1/2" 456 and GP9 with some 499. I'm talking 150 rolls of tape I won't need to buy. AND it's the good stuff which sweetens the pot.

Thanks again for  your post, regards ,,deda,,

DarinK wrote on Sun, 29 November 2009 11:06

It's definitely a step up from the Tascam & Fostex 1/2" 8 tracks of the same time period.  It is a pro multitrack recorder that you can actually align easily, unlike Tascams & Fostexes.  If you want a 1/2"  8 track, this is the one to get.
All the usual concerns about head wear, parts availability, etc., do apply, of course.
(A buddy of  mine has had one for years & lugs it around to practice spaces & such to record bands, and gets great results. It does generally take two people to carry the thing.)

,,deda,, Tim Porter

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 09:57:23 PM »

Thanks to all who took the time with very helpful detailed posts, it was 100% positive on the deck and I'll prove you right because I did buy it. $499.00 for a 8 track pro level tape machine is a steal and I cannot wait to get it here.

I have a top notch new friend of 6 months, top notch in civility, ethics both character and work ethic. He is also VERY Top Notch in everything music and all that 5 letter word implies, a buttload.

When I met him through one of my guitar player's he was getting off the road and  coming home for good to finish off his own personal "Walk Of Life". He has been doing front of house for the last 15 years and for many many well known artist's so his Live Sound reinforcement is top notch.

THEN he has been doing studio engineering, mostly tracking though he knows it all, during the same period and at great studios across the US so he's top notch in the studio including every type of format from analog tape to Pro Tools. To "Sweeten The Pot" he also is a geekslut and can fix anything.

THEN he is one hell of a guitar player and his band is busy as hell and in 2 weeks their locking out 3 days at a great studio to track their 1st record of all originals, damn what can't this man do.

When we met on my porch that night we clicked like we had been best friends all our lives. I love it when that happens, immediate trust. Enough so that I took him to my private personal studio on my land. I'm in the progress of starting a complete  rebuilding at this point but I have all my gear in a VERY secure and clean room that I show no one.

All my gear, house, land and studio is paid for so I can be private but for him it was basically what's mine is yours. It's just a given here in what my wife has coined "Our  Utopian Separatist Homeland" if a person is trust worthy.

I told him he would always have a place to come and work and for free. He was stunned and immediately offered up all his expertise to help me build, connect and just "Push Play" in my new digs and teach me the task of extreme difficulty, engineering.

Moral of the story is I'm busy as hell on untold projects required, I'm doing it all myself. BUT I'm loving the hell out of it and put in 20 hours a day 7 days a week and wish I could do 22 or 23 hours a day but I sleep a little.

I hate sleep with a passion and always have. It's the biggest waste of time man is bound to. I don't dream when I sleep or if I do I never remember a damn thing. The 20 hours I am up and at'um I day dream like a MF'er and can act on the dream/thought/idea/epiphany right then and do. It's not for everybody but I'll be 60 on 12-30-09 and have done it for the last 40 years so tis no bother, tis a blessing.

I guess all can tell I'm pumped about my new studio and as stated above busy as hell.

That's why I owe you guys big time for your help these last 3 months, I don't have the time to spend checking things out properly so your my source, period, well along with a few other forums which by the way were also 100% positive about the Otari MX 5050 8D.

I'll start a new thread on this question but if your still hanging with me and know the answer please voice your opinion.

The question is I, as well as all others here know there are many many Otari 5050 series tape decks from 1/4" to 2". Does anyone know if the parts that are in common on a tape deck, the transport mechanism, rollers etc. etc. are interchangeable?

Well I know I'll find out here if anywhere in the World. In the last 3 months 15 for 15 from you guys, 100%, great job and keep it up.

Thanks again and "Mi Casa Es Su Casa", regards ,,deda,,

,,deda,, Tim Porter wrote on Sat, 28 November 2009 12:34

I am looking for anyone with an opinion on a 1979  OTARI MX 5050 8D 1/2 inch 8 track recorder.

One I have not seen before and nothing on Google about it at all.

I'm thinking parts wise that most parts that wear out on tape deck  are the rollers. transport parts etc. and that any Otari 5050 would have the same parts.

If anyone knows anything about I'd love to hear it. I was real curious if it had any crappy Dolby C or B built in or if one could bypass it if it did.

Thanks to all in advance for you help, regards ,,deda,,

index.php/fa/13821/0/

Hallams

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 08:18:23 PM »

Great to see another happy Otari 8 trk owner. I have had one since the mid 90's and use it often still in the studio and live. Mine was virtually new having only seen a few hours use. As many here in Oz were used in radio stations, most that go for sale have seen a lot of use.
Mostly humble setups, but to have a listen to some recordings  tracked on my machine, the 2nd and 5th tracks on my myspace page were recorded using it. The Hard Land track was an 8 track recording, in a mates house, and the Lyndon Wesley track was drums, bass, electric guit and vox on the otari in my mud brick home, and the organ and overdub tracks were onto hard disk synced using timecode at a studio i worked at.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 16 queries.