R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: are we on the verge or not  (Read 5064 times)

trexrox

Re: are we on the verge or not
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 04:42:45 AM »

Quote:

NEVER before has anyone had this ability to sample indie music outside of your local scene.

Yes they could.  There was this thing called touring that bands used to do.  They would even quit their dayjobs just to go on the road.

Just because the majors are looking at indie artists the way wall street looks at penny stocks, doesn't mean anything is on the verge of anything...

The music revolution on the internet is already over.  Everything that can be done already has been, and it's just going to get more and more commercialized or more homogenous.

I'm not saying you're completely wrong, you brought up a few good points, but I just don't see any kind of "huge punk rock revolution on the internet".  That seems almost oxymoronic in a way.  Kinda like calling it "popular underground music".

Another wierd thing is, I would hardly call most of the bands you mentioned as being indie or punk.  It might be good pop music.  But punk???

Sorry, I know this sounds almost like one of those cliche "I'm more punk than you" arguments, which I could really care less...

oh well... maybe we ARE on the verge of something.  It's just so cool that noone even knows about it.  

Maybe it's Low Power FM.  Wouldn't that be cool?  It hasn't hit my city yet, but I think it would be awesome if it does...

trexrox

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 04:49:18 AM »

Whoa I take that back, I guess it has...

Fellowship of Holy Hip Hop Batman!

Bivouac

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2004, 11:27:51 AM »

Well, the point I was trying to make was that the fact that any of these bands are popular at all says a lot about how their name got around the internet early on.  By the time they were touring around the country, they were selling out shows and selling ass-loads of merchandise along the way.

This internet marketing concept is now a standard, and THAT'S the revolution...

I don't disagree with you that those bands aren't exactly "punk" (although a lot were when they started out).  I was just using some obvious examples of how the internet has really helped some music careers.  Certainly not of my musical taste...

I'm pretty sure bands tour as much as they used to as well.  I've seen bands two or three times a year for as long as I can remember...

I'd love to see radio make a comeback but it just seems pretty hopeless now that every station is centrally owned by SOMEBODY.  Even college radio has sold out...

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2004, 06:47:16 PM »

Bivouac wrote on Thu, 12 August 2004 01:26

Right about now, we're getting to Pinback, Explosions in the Sky, and Vanderslice...Smile

god i sure hope not... i mean i remember feeling betrayed in a stupid way when jimmy eat world had bleed american. i'm fine with having every single joe schmoe fratboy loving pinback and jv (pinback more likely since it has a good party beat) but eits... some bands i feel are special because even though they are everyones music the joy of seeing someone react to their first godspeed you black emperor listen is quite enjoyable. whether we want to admit it or not we're all more or less elitists of sorts (have you met anybody that thinks that they have bad taste in mucic?)
mogwai love you and need you

trexrox

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2004, 05:32:26 AM »

Bivouac wrote on Thu, 12 August 2004 11:27

I'm pretty sure bands tour as much as they used to as well.  I've seen bands two or three times a year for as long as I can remember...

I'd love to see radio make a comeback but it just seems pretty hopeless now that every station is centrally owned by SOMEBODY.  Even college radio has sold out...

Yeah, my saying they're not touring was meant to be tounge-in-cheek based on a comment that I made about Atlanta bands not touring... But you're right, there are a lot of good bands that are touring out there.  

The radio thing, Low Power FM can be owned by anyone, and even though it is supposed to be for educational/ non-profit purposes, I think it just means that you can't sell commercials for profit on the station.  I don't think they are going to pull someone's liscence for playing good music.  That COULD be considered educational in a way...

I think LPFM could be a very cool solution to the crappy rock stations out there.  They're limited to only a certain wattage, so there's not going to be a lot of distance covered, but that can be ok in a city...

If it's non-profit, I'm sure someone can figure out a way to create an indie non-profit station funded by grants and donations... why not???  The Hell's Angels are a non-profit group.  Why can't indie radio be?  

anyway... it's late, I've been up all night setting the tensions on my JH-110 machine... getting the new 1/2" heads next week... woohooo!

Bivouac

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2004, 02:08:31 AM »

mogwailoveyou wrote on Thu, 12 August 2004 16:47

Bivouac wrote on Thu, 12 August 2004 01:26

Right about now, we're getting to Pinback, Explosions in the Sky, and Vanderslice...Smile

god i sure hope not... i mean i remember feeling betrayed in a stupid way when jimmy eat world had bleed american. i'm fine with having every single joe schmoe fratboy loving pinback and jv (pinback more likely since it has a good party beat) but eits... some bands i feel are special because even though they are everyones music the joy of seeing someone react to their first godspeed you black emperor listen is quite enjoyable. whether we want to admit it or not we're all more or less elitists of sorts (have you met anybody that thinks that they have bad taste in mucic?)

Ok, maybe that's just MY tastes in the last two years Smile

But you get my point...

I felt the same way with Bleed American; Clarity means more to me than a lot of albums ever will.  I loved static prevails too...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 16 queries.