R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: modest mouse vs. franz ferdinand  (Read 15437 times)

mogwailoveyou

Re: modest mouse vs. franz ferdinand
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2004, 06:27:09 PM »

pitchfork is an interesting cookie... what other place on earth will more often than not rate the newest p. diddy single over bonnie prince billy... haha i love it, it's this strange blend of indie pop, experimental music, and mainstream rap (how the hell is crunk considered a form of music?!?!) but gotta love the news section, plus they are probably the most balanced general news info place for new artists etc. (for every thrills album they review something great and obscure like max richter).

as far as local music, being from tx we have quite the variety of music. what kinda stuff are you into (in general of course)... eh actually i'll just make you a mix of my favorite local bands (i hope you like neo americana) email me at alittlemogwai@hotmail.com or talk to me online at mogwailoveyou on aim.
mogwai love you and need you

how_gauche

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2004, 07:12:46 PM »

Emailed! As far as crunk goes: crunk's amazing! Hip-hop's the only music going right now where the mainstream is actually interesting. Are you trying to tell me you can listen to a Lil' Jon beat without totally losing it?? 'Cause I can't!

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2004, 03:39:27 AM »

haha i'm gonna have to completely disagree with you on that topic. i'm hoping you're being sarcastic but maybe it's the scrawny white guy in me but all i hear is an extremely intelligent guy throwing on a wonderful facade of stupid yelling and drum machines to induce millions of african americans into a lifestyle that will profit him and keep the african american culture as far seperated from corporate white america as possible. haha does infinte more to keep african americans down than the kkk ever did (disclaimer: this is not a racist comment or in any way in support of those kkk bastards) but social discussion aside i find it too funny and overly entertaining to find viable as music. there's so much music that can make someone move that doesn't involve a man with gold/diamond teeth... maybe it's just me but nothing makes me wanna dance more than joy division, can, gang of four, and misfits (especially when drunk.)
mogwai love you and need you

MB

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2004, 07:41:15 AM »

Franz Ferdinand is a direct rip of a early 80's Scottish band Josef K. Themselves part of a movement around the Postcard label (Orange Juice, Aztec Camera - quite influential really). Listen to Josef K and Franz Ferdinand becomes completely redundant. It's actually quite amazing. Even down to the historical name rip (Josef K being a Kafka character).

tiggie

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2004, 12:16:35 PM »

The Arcade Fire are indeed ace.

Speaking of local bands, I'd be interested to know whether J has heard Piney Gir, she's from Kansas City but lives in London, her album was recorded at the studio I work in. Her album's not out till December in the US though...

j.hall

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2004, 03:56:30 PM »

never heard of her.

is she good?

tiggie

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2004, 05:41:49 PM »

I think she's ace. It's kinda my job to say that, but still...

j.hall

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2004, 10:42:24 AM »

website?

mp3's to listen to?

kansas city girl in the UK......that's pretty funny.

tiggie

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2004, 10:53:38 AM »

http://www.pineygir.com (I know her website looks like shit) she appears to have put the entire album up for download in the mp3 section... and we wonder why the label never has any money...

The singles are Janet Schmanet, Greeting Salutations Goodbye, Jezabel and Creature.

j.hall

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2004, 11:55:52 AM »

hmmmmmmmmmm

interesting stuff.

a more rock version of haley boner.  (Chair Kick Records, duluth, MN.)

trexrox

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2004, 07:04:10 PM »

nemo wrote on Sat, 18 September 2004 00:20

I don't have an opinion either way, but everyone tells me the FF single is a rip off of Trampled Underfoot. Anyone concur?

I just listened to TU and WHOA... it IS the riff.  No wonder I liked the FF song so much.. HA!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.