R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: When do you use a Linear Phase EQ over a Minimum Phase EQ?  (Read 19448 times)

bruno putzeys

Re: When do you use a Linear Phase EQ over a Minimum Phase EQ?
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2009, 02:18:24 PM »

That's a lowpass filter with "maximally flat" phase inside the pass band. There's no equivalent highpass, bandpass, shelf, notch or bell filter. The bessel filter is strictly minimum phase, but its slow roll-off behaviour makes its group delay relatively constant. Other than the order and the cut-off frequency there are no other options to shape the response.
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 09:29:04 AM »

Gold wrote on Fri, 20 November 2009 17:36

dcollins wrote on Fri, 20 November 2009 18:26

http://www.meyersound.com/products/processor_drive_systems/c p-10/

A friend of mine has one of those. It's a very good sounding EQ. I'm told they are popular in Nashville.

I demo'd one of these about ten years ago.
I really wanted to like it, the price was friendly.
But I didn't care for it at all, so I passed.
The ergonomics left something to be desired as well.

JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Gold

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 10:09:41 AM »

It's not in a mastering studio. I never considered getting one. I like switches. I dismiss out of hand anything that can't be used all day every day with ease. I thought it sounded good though.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

KAyo

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 11:59:17 PM »

Schallfeldnebel wrote on Fri, 20 November 2009 17:49

In the analog days, some engineers were making analog tape copies in reverse mode. They said it sounded better that way, because the slewrate of the whole system was better.
SFN

I concur.. Couple of years ago, when I was at Qrecording Studios [formely Rhino INXS studios] in Sydney, we did that reverse copying and and even recording, all the time, and it did sound better to me..

My questions is; So was it actually better? or was it a placebo? Cause, I heard it, and it did sound better for sure.. Gosh!I am lost and puzzeled now.damn..

KAyo
http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 09:13:17 AM »

Dear KAyo,

If you quote me, please quote me completely.

I wrote: In the analog days, some engineers were making analog tape copies in reverse mode. They said it sounded better that way, because the slewrate of the whole system was better. This is not correct.

What you do with reverse copying is the same as the back and forth method of filtering used in IIR EQ's, compensating for phase shift, in this case for phase shift in the record amplifier, not anything to do with slew-rate.  

SFN
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

KAyo

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2009, 04:10:04 PM »

Thanks for clarifying that, Schallfeldnebel.

KAyo
http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

Geoff Emerick de Fake

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 06:36:59 AM »

In the analog days, some engineers were making analog tape copies in reverse mode. They said it sounded better that way, because the slewrate of the whole system was better. This is not correct.
The only reasons I know of for doing reverse copies were:
a) in the (false) hope of avoiding print-through pre-echo
b) to save time when numerous copies were to be done (saves rewinding time)
Quote:

What happens in a tape recorder, besides the NAB or IEC/CCIR equalisation, the recordhead needs also EQ to be able to get a flat response into the higher regions. The phase shift from the NAB and IEC corrections is cancelled during playback. But the phaseshift caused by the record amplifiers eq not.
This is absolutely untrue: the phase-shift is, as in any minimum-phase process, the derivative of the frequency response. If the frequency response is flat, the phase response is too.
Quote:

By reversing the tape direction of the playback tape, the record amplifiers apply the same equalisation for the copy, but in reversed direction. (music played backwards and recorded backwards on the copy) When later the copy is played back in the right direction again, this process has equalled out all phase shift from the record amplifiers. A reversed copy results in a phase linear analog recording, and therefore it sounds better.

Anyone with a half-decent technical knowledge knows this is pure invention. There is no relation with the electronic phase-shift introduced by the record EQ and the travel direction of the tape.
Quote:

The same you can do with any analog EQ.
Can you really do reverse copy in analog?
There are some possibilities to produce a linear-phase analog filter, basically involving all-pass cells. Each all-pass cell, for being considered linear-phase in the audio bandwidth, is capable of about 2 microseconds (Apogee used a dozen of these in cascade to compensate the 22.675 microsecond shift in the early D/A converters). If you want to make a linear-phase EQ with those, you will need to cascade 500 of them to create a 1kHz EQ, 10 000 for 50Hz!

Laarsø

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 11:49:22 AM »

Geoff Emerick de Fake wrote on Sun, 29 November 2009 05:36

In the analog days, some engineers were making analog tape
copies in reverse mode. They said it sounded better that way, because the slew rate of the whole system was better.
This is not correct. The only reasons I know of for doing reverse copies were:
a) in the (false) hope of avoiding print-through pre-echo
b) to save time when numerous copies were to be done (saves rewinding time)

It also saves fragile tape from overuse.  Simultaneous ingest of two sides of a half-track mono or 1/4-track stereo reel can be realized this way.

Quote:

What happens in a tape recorder, besides the NAB or IEC/CCIR equalisation, the recordhead needs also EQ to be able to get a flat response into the higher regions. The phase shift from the NAB and IEC corrections is canceled during playback. But the phase shift caused by the record amplifiers' eq, not...  
Quote:

This is absolutely untrue: the phase-shift is, as in any minimum-phase process, the derivative of the frequency response. If the frequency response is flat, the phase response is too.  

This is absolutely untrue.  Looks at the step response graph of the Revel loudspeaker.  The frequency response is near perfectly flat (is ironically too flat?), but the phase of the groups is not flat as evidenced by delayed flatulences of woofers wrt tweeter.

Geoff Emerick de Fake wrote on Sun, 29 November 2009 05:36

By reversing the tape direction of the playback tape, the record amplifiers apply the same equalization for the copy, but in reversed direction. (music played backwards and recorded backwards on the copy) When later the copy is played back in the right direction again, this process has equaled out all phase shift from the record amplifiers. A reversed copy results in a phase linear analog recording, and therefore it sounds better.

Anyone with a half-decent technical knowledge knows this is pure invention. There is no relation with the electronic phase-shift introduced by the record EQ and the travel direction of the tape.

Anyone with half-decent technical knowledge knows your name is pure inwention! (; Seriously, you are misinformed, or else AES Fellow, Robert Orban, and analog tape machine guru, Cary Cornett, are!  Here's what Orban, writes to Ampex user list:

{begin quotations}

"There's a fairly well-known trick in DSP to make phase-linear
non-realtime IIR filters -- run the signal once through the filter, reverse the result, and run it through the filter a second time. It can be shown that the magnitude response (in dB) is twice that of a single filter (an intuitively obvious result) but any group delay distortion is completely eliminated (perhaps not so intuitive). The "copy tapes backwards" technique works on the same principle."  

[Bob Orban]

{end quotations}

And here is what Cary Cornett wrote at same group list:

{begin quotations}

"The equalizer networks used in recording and playback are used to correct for frequency response changes that happen between the heads and the tape.  The EQ networks introduce phase shifts that change with frequency.  The heads/tape do not have these variable phase shifts.  As a result, the record/play process "smears" the phase of the audio in a way that alters the waveform.  Copying a tape backwards causes the shifts between the original recording and the copy to sort of self-cancel.  Sneaky trick here: if you are making a copy of a "reversed" copy, you need to run that one in the FORWARD direction, otherwise you are adding more distortion, just in the other direction. If you go more generations, the 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc. should be run in reverse and the 2nd, 4th, etc. should be run in the forward direction.

"There is an old AES paper somewhere that explains this much better than I just did.  I bet Jay knows which paper.

"To make this whole thing more complicated, some professional tape machines include a phase rotation network [to] compensate for this problem.  In some 3M recorders, this compensation was put in the playback circuit.  In some Otari recorders, the compensation was put in the record circuit.  In the Ampex ATR-100, the record equalizers are designed so that they don't create the problem in the first place.  A tape originally recorded on these latter machines does not need the "reversal" for correction.  If you are playing a master on a machine that "corrects" in playback, again you don't want to do the reversing bit.  The nasty thing about all this is you need to know what kind of machine made the original tape to know whether it needs reversal.

"Cary B. Cornett
Cornett Technical Services"

{end quotations}

Laars
Space Camp Mastering

laarsoglethorpe@gmail.com

"Lack of DSD post filtering fried a lot of expansive twitters." (D. L.)

Barry Hufker

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 01:22:44 PM »

Geoff Emerick de Fake,

As I understand it, you are a relative newcomer to these forums, if so, you might want to wait a while before posting what you "know" to be "absolutely true".  There are many fine minds here.  I've been in this business 37 years and people like Schallfeldnebel always teach me a thing or two.

Barry

compasspnt

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2009, 02:17:03 PM »

Laars

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2009, 06:01:01 PM »

Thanks Laars
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Laarsø

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2009, 03:32:38 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 29 November 2009 13:17

No.

A copy is... A COPY.

STORING tape tails out MAY help reduce "pre-echo".

And wow Laars
Space Camp Mastering

laarsoglethorpe@gmail.com

"Lack of DSD post filtering fried a lot of expansive twitters." (D. L.)

Alexey Lukin

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2009, 03:37:03 AM »

Laars

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2009, 06:18:16 AM »

Loudspeakers (esp. those with crossovers) are not miminum-phase systems - so, their phase response is not derived from frequency response. Geoff Emerick de Fake has been referring to minimum-phase systems, which include many non-linear-phase equalizers.

How many analog EQ's are minimum-phase?

SFN

Alexey Lukin

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2009, 07:48:16 AM »

Schallfeldnebel wrote on Mon, 30 November 2009 06:18

How many analog EQ's are minimum-phase?

I think that most of them are.
Bruno may be better informed on this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up