R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP 23 Discussion Thread  (Read 12388 times)

jdubdrums

Re: IMP 23 Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 10:30:15 PM »

Listening through these mixes, I find a few things interesting:

1. The wildly varying amounts of midrange frequencies between mixes. I'm hearing a lot of versions with scooped-out low mids and others with lots of high mids. My mix is quite "wooly" compared to most of the submissions. I guess I can contribute that to not using any reference material while mixing to see where I stood.

2. Quite a few of you used a really deep snare sound, which I find really puzzling. The source tracks provided a snare drum with a lot of "crack" to it. Ian's comment on my snare sound to be a little anemic is spot on, and his snare sound has that body that mine is missing.

3. A few of the mixes have vocals that are pretty cloudy.

I intend to ask a few questions as I listen more to everyone's work. My first question is directed at iCombs, since he submitted the tracks:

What is going on with the snare-rim track? it has a strange attack on the front end of each hit.

My next question is: how many of you used every single drum track? I did, and felt that every time I took one away, I felt I was losing something important.
"It's having fun that you grow! Oh!" - Tony Williams

www.jdubdrums.com

j.hall

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 11:24:07 PM »

Reno wrote on Fri, 13 November 2009 13:14

JHALL
Whaou!!! It’s just amazing... The guitars are awesome (use what?, how you made it sound so SWEET and powerful) The bass is just perfect... Drums are big and depth... Vocals ARE HUGE!!!!!  Nothing to say

I stop for tonight...

after listening Jhall mix, I connot be objective before 2... years ...lol

thanks man!  although there is plenty wrong with my mix.

i'll take a look at what i did to the guitars in the next few days.  i did this mix FAST.  probably spent 1 hour on it.

Reno

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 12:47:19 AM »

1 hour?!???

sometimes the best results are the fast work... just went to the essentials and it's good... with a rock song why not?

I use everydrums tracks exept the rim one...

Billybehdaz

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 06:09:43 AM »

jdubdrums wrote on Fri, 13 November 2009 21:30

Listening through these mixes, I find a few things interesting:

1. The wildly varying amounts of midrange frequencies between mixes. I'm hearing a lot of versions with scooped-out low mids and others with lots of high mids. My mix is quite "wooly" compared to most of the submissions. I guess I can contribute that to not using any reference material while mixing to see where I stood.

Agreed.  The tracks themselves were quite wooly.  I noticed this after setting levels and importing the reference I chose.  I'm embarassed to admit what I used for this track (and I don't want to offend Ian!) but it was a modern male rock track mixed by one of the big names.  I ended up using a lot of subtractive EQ throughout the low-high mids on various tracks to get my mix as bright as it is.  Every time it tried to go the other way and add lows/highs it started to get boomy and harsh.  It still ended up way brighter than I would normally mix, but I attribute that to the reference I used (which was an out of the ordinary choice for me).

jdubdrums wrote on Fri, 13 November 2009 21:30

My next question is: how many of you used every single drum track? I did, and felt that every time I took one away, I felt I was losing something important.

Not me - didn't use the mono OH and had the near and far room tracks very low in the mix, relied on the mid tracks for the rooms.

Off to work (5am on Saturday!) should have some time tonight or tomorrow to offer comments.

getyoursnackon

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 08:28:11 AM »

i used a tom lord alge mix for referencing... my main goal was to get a lot of perceived loudness in the mix, and a really phat commercial sound (L1-ed a lot of stuff to oblivion!)

i used all the drum tracks besides the mid and far room tracks -- i just L1 crushed the near room track and it seemed to sound huge enough for my liking  Very Happy

iCombs

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 11:32:13 AM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 13 November 2009 22:24

i did this mix FAST.  probably spent 1 hour on it.

IMO, that sort of impulsive energy that comes from making a decision quickly and building from those first impressions is EXACTLY what I was talking about earlier...once you've got your chops together, using your instinct and not waffling back and forth will only serve to make a better mix.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

martthie_08

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 05:14:16 PM »

ok, just as quick as I pulled my version of this mix, here some short opinions on the submitted mixes Smile

Greg Dixon
cool, somehow reminds of me of DinosaurJR, very earthy sounding with good punch, needs some EQ in the mastering, bass git too midrangey for me

Billybehdaz
wow, this one sounds very exciting but at the same time I'm missing a natural touch, I guess sometimes one can't have both

southboundloco
tasty smack on the snare, good chorus transition, cool overdrive on bass git, but vocals too distant / chambery sounding in verse, something is dragging me to the left in the stereo image

Music_Junky
like the drum sound, nice and direct vocals, good overall energy, bass a bit too plugin disto sounding for me, somethings pumping right from the start

el duderino
sounds nice and open, good balance, pretty wide mix, snare drum might deserve a more hifi verb / cymbals a bit heavy in the chorus.

danko
cool, sounds pretty hard rocky to me, has a special character, like the guitars and vocals in this context, but the drums sounds are not my world...

martthie_08
ok, I had some new plugins to try out, that is one of the reasons I love the IMP sessions Smile The BXdigital V2 with Stereo Spreader was one of them, the other one the Sonalksis Mastering Limiter, both Plugins kind of pushed to the max on the 2-Bus.
I think the recordings for this imp were swell and I wished other producers would send me files as well prepared as these, haha. The Drum Room setups really gave some options, also cool that there was a mono overhead (what model was that mic?). I augmented the Snare with a lower pitch sample.

jdubdrums
somehow I couldn't download this mix, must check it again later, moving on to the next mix...

osumosan
aspects of this mix I really like, the vocal processing, cool delay on the guitar solo, but overall too roomy / uncontrolled sounding for me

Baddo
cool trem on the verse guitars, like how all the vocals go together in the chorus good work, overall pretty compressed, cool ending

rankus
a rather roomy / wet mix, I like how in the overall picture everything blends together nicely.

Reno
nice direct mix, good balance and vibe, I like the "dirty" guitars, maybe the kick sticks out a bit in the verses

Miguel M.
nice weight on the kick makes the verse groove interesting, nice sizzle on the lead vocals and cool use of the doubled chorus vocal, top end is a bit closed (maybe overheads up?), snare sample or processing not my cup of tea Smile

iCombs
very modern / rock sounding, good balance and overall controlled sound. like the chorus with the dirty bass kicking through, kick beater is a notch too dominant for my taste

mafigi
wow, this one is loud. cool work on the spongy bass sound, maybe it is the 2 bus compression that brings up the room too much

d gauss
nice thick guitars, cool short "breath" verb on the snare, juicy drive on the bass guitar, earthy vocal sound.
dynamics on the verge of "swimming", could be a bit more open on the top

mdifazio
interesting approach, boxy and very vocal up! though the playback is overall too small sounding, might be cool for strokes / kinks 60ies stuff but this band need a more hifi sound!

Fiasco
nice steady and solid drums, instruments need more separation with regards to eq and stereo imaging though...

Jonah A. Kort
solid mix, love the guitar sounds,  good "open the curtain" on the chorus, overall a bit scooped and a bit too much subs

graham
sounds very natural and unpretentious in good way, vocals could need a push, drums are kinda overpowering

Josh McArdle
has a "live sound", as if you were watching the band on stage, everything is in one roomy context, individual approach that sets this one apart from all the other mixes.

j.hall
powerful mix, could profit from some automation, chorus sounds great, wide and open. cool that the vocal is rather dry, kick drum sounds a bit too mechanical though, works well with the bass for a solid low end though

getyoursnackon

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 12:04:38 AM »

let me know what you think of my mix as well if you get a chance !

mafigi

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 05:54:42 AM »

martthie_08 wrote on Sat, 14 November 2009 23:14

ok, just as quick as I pulled my version of this mix, here some short opinions on the submitted mixes Smile

mafigi
wow, this one is loud. cool work on the spongy bass sound, maybe it is the 2 bus compression that brings up the room too much

Hi, thank you very much for listening, yes, the full drums and the rooms, are  grouping in two bus:  1) drum aux  and  2) parallel compression aux, with different gain fader.
I am like much.  

Billybehdaz

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 10:34:27 AM »

I downloaded all the mixes, here are my critiques in no particular order -

dgauss - little heavy in the low mids.  very dry overall.  nice lift in the chorus.  Out of tune bk vox stands out a lot.  Nice mix overall, just needs a little sculpting in the low mids and maybe a little more excitement.

graham - kick/bass balance off (too little bass)nice vocal sound, but like the previous mix tuning issues on bk vox are grating when featured this much.  Like the delay idea after 1st chorus - go for it more, turn it up!  I'd like to hear the snare a little wetter, at least in the chorus.  Good tones overall, just a little bass (guitar) light, especially in the verses.

jdubdrums - looks like I downloaded an HTML document instead of your mix, I'm gussing you didn't link directly to it?  My daw's not on the internet so I'll go back and try to get it again if I have time, sorry man..

MGT - sounds kinda monoish right off the bat, now it's opening up in the verse.  Little wooly in the low/low mids.  Vocal kind of steps on everything in the chorus, I'm guessing buss compressor.  Again with the monoish guitars, into/break kinda loses it's impact.  Like the snare sound, what did you do?  2nd chorus sounds more balanced.  Woa, like the dueling panned solo section, nice!  Pretty solid overall.

southboundloco - Great intro, nice and bright!  Good pop on the snare.  Verse vocals don't really fit the brightness of the track, sound kinda tubby.  Drums maybe too agressive in the verse (like my mix, I think Ian commented on this).  Low end gets sucked up in the chorus, probably due to all the mids/upper mids in the vox/guitars.  I like the overall agression, it's what I went for in my mix as well.

jhall - lots of sub-ish lows, but not overpowering, at least on my monitors. Kick sounds like a typewriter, not sure it fits this track, pretty metal.  Also not sure about the distorted bass in the verse, doesn't fit the vibe and it's a little clanky.  I'm missing the guitar licks in the choruses.  I would like to know you treated the bass/low mids?  Really nice overall, just not sure some of your choices fit the song, but that's subjective I guess.

OK - time for a break!

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 10:50:48 AM »

Southboundloco - Guitars a bit forward, perhaps a tad too much verb on the

snare, a bit more bass needed but maybe thats the guitars poking out. All in

all I liked it, felt dynamic.

shuv2000 - Not sure about that opening woo. Bass drum is kinda "loose". All the

cymbals are coming at me from the left. Don't necessarily like all the delay

treatments on the vocals. Did I miss a guitar track? Where did that solo come

from? Hmm.

Josh McArdle - Opening guitars too forward, need more bass as well. Snare verb

heavy. Is that a chorus on the vocals? Seems a bit distracting. Entire mix

lacking a little sparkle. I guess I did miss that little solo break. Hmm.

Big C-1 - Drums buried. Mix very unbalanced. Kinda hard to listen to. Sorry.

Osumosan - Seems like everyone is "rooming" out those drums. I like the vocal

treatment but a bit essey. Pretty good balance throughout. I like the lead

break. How did I miss that? Hmm.

Greg Dixon - Good bass. Drums as a whole could use some snap, perhaps just

brought forward a touch. Backing vocals a bit too loud. Good balance. What did

you do with that bass, if I may ask?

Music Junky - Vocals need some taming. Guitars perhaps too bright. Mix leaning

towards the top, needs some meat. Maybe it's the bright guitars.

More to come... need to go get prepared for the Bengals to put a whoopin' on

the Steelers.

Hopefully.
Philip

jdubdrums

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2009, 03:12:25 PM »

Guys (and gals if there are any):

don't right-click the link in my submission. You have to go to the site, then right-click the .mp3. It's an iDisk, not a site...takes all of 5 seconds to do.

Anyone know the code to link right to the file? Obviously what I posted didn't directly link to the audio.
"It's having fun that you grow! Oh!" - Tony Williams

www.jdubdrums.com

Greg Dixon

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2009, 05:15:01 PM »

Fiasco wrote on Mon, 16 November 2009 02:50

Greg Dixon - Good bass. Drums as a whole could use some snap, perhaps just

brought forward a touch. Backing vocals a bit too loud. Good balance. What did

you do with that bass, if I may ask?

I used the DI track instead of the amp and ran it through the SVT model on that Line6 Pod Farm plug in they were giving away. There is some multiband compression at about 2:1 to tame the slight volume change between different frequencies. There's also a slight mid dip using the URS API graphic.

The distorted track was just left as it was. No eq, compression or riding the fader.

fiasco ( P.M.DuMont )

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 06:29:52 PM »

Thanks for the explanation Greg.

The rest...

graham - Vocals seemed quiet at the beginning but good balance throughout. Nice

work.

Rankus - A bit squished. Good kick. The highs get a bit harsh especially in the

chorus sections, but nice balance between instruments.

Billybedaz - Drums slappy yet bombastic, a bit much for me. Too much

compression overall. Guitars sound good.

El duderino - Snare feels separated from rest of the mix, not quite sitting in

it. Cymbals on chorus coming from the left, distracts quite a bit. Not bad

otherwise.

Baddo2 - Not sure about the leslie treatments during verses. Bass runs poke out

a bit. Feels like the mix in general needs some excitement.

RENO - Snare not in the mix. A bit anemic in the lows.

iCombs - Pretty "quiet" offering which is not necessarily a bad thing. After

mastering, would the instruments be where you left them? A bit essey on the

vocals. Good balance and nice tracks... thanks for sharing. BTW, your singing

doesn't suck.

mafigi - Way too hot. Snare a bit thin, needs some body. I guess I don't like

the chorus cymbals coming so hevily from the side. Guitars sound nasally. Good

bass. Drums in general buried and somewhat unnatural sounding.

danko - Drums lost in the intro. Distorted guitars are sizzley and burying

every thing else. I like sone of the vocal treatments, maybe a bit much but

cool.

martthie 08 - Pretty dry, everything is certainly in plain sight. Snare could

use some more crack. Good balance throughout.

mdifazio - Vocals need taming. Bright, sizzley guitars. In general the

instruments don't sit very well together. Somewhat odd production choices.

jhall - Kick feels a db or two too hot during the verses. Vocals essey.

Distorted guitars on the chorus pretty hot. Cymbals somewhat strident. Snare

pretty great. Sounds like you spent a measley hour on it. Kidding... it's still

pretty rockin'.

Jonah A Kort - Guitars need some top. Pretty nice kick. Good drums. Mix in

general lacks some sparkle. Not bad though.

Miguel M -  Not really liking the drums, snare sounds pinched. What is that

weird noise @ 1:31? Needs work balancing instrumentation and tones.

jdubdrums - Distorted guitars during chorus a touch to hot. Vocals essey.

Decent balance.

d guass - Snare a bit outside the mix. Bass runs poking out. Some uneveness

here and there but decent.
Philip

Reno

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »

Quote:

Snare not in the mix. A bit anemic in the lows.

SO where it is???

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.