R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP 23 Discussion Thread  (Read 12414 times)

iCombs

IMP 23 Discussion Thread
« on: November 12, 2009, 04:43:43 PM »

I wanted to start this NOW so we don't get chatting too much in the submission thread only to have it locked.

So...here we are...where to start...

I did this track to test out a few things...1 was playing with guitar amp micing a little more and getting out of my comfort zone of constantly playing it safe with a couple mics.  This was a singly U87, printed with compression and EQ to tape.  I wanted to commit to something and on the whole, I'm pretty happy with that.  In retrospect, I probably could've been a little more aggressive still, but whatever.  Baby steps, right?

The big thing for me on this was the drums.  A lot of you seemed very excited about working with those tracks...I was, too.  The thing that I didn't want to bring up until mixes were in?  Those drums are fake.  All programmed.  Superior Drummer 2.0 using the sample set created at Allaire.  So...no...I didn't really engineer those.  I did this track to try my hand at programming drums in a MIDI environment (something I'm just learning to do but am actually in surprising demand for right now (which is to say, any demand at all)), and if that wasn't something that stuck out like a sore thumb to you guys, then I guess I'm on the right track as far as that's concerned.

So...with that little bit of disclosure out of the way, I'm going to toss my big Ultrasones on and start listening to some mixes!  I'll start doing stuff in order of posting.

I'm glad y'all seemed to have a good time with this one!
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

Miguel M.

Re: IMP 23 Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »

Regarding the tracks. I really feel that most of the stuff there is working to make a good song! A couple of tracks that i've removed, some things out of tune, but other than that, and according to the song genre, I believe it is well done. Even with programmed drums, it works for the genre.

But I did miss things that could make the song more interesting. Other sound textures, more different guitar parts/sounds, back vocals on the verse, maybe some percursion, etc...

I felt the song was somehow poor in terms of arrangement but maybe it was the idea, to put a straight forward rock song...

Tomorrow i'll listen to all mixes and i'll try to comment on them...

Greg Dixon

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 05:19:51 PM »

Ha! Some of the snare part sounded very mechanical to me. In fact I soloed it a few times to check it wasn't sequenced. The hat bleed and bleed from other drums completely fooled me.

iCombs

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 06:01:07 PM »

Greg Dixon wrote on Thu, 12 November 2009 16:19

Ha! Some of the snare part sounded very mechanical to me. In fact I soloed it a few times to check it wasn't sequenced. The hat bleed and bleed from other drums completely fooled me.

So it was at least plausible, then?  I figure...if you're going to end up in a situation with a drummer who you're going to BD anyways...why not just program it and not deal with all the headaches that come along with that much editing?

If you wouldn't mind pointing out a couple things that felt mechanical, I'd love some feedback on that...I'm trying to nail down the little dynamic things and having stuff pointed out to me that I may have shrugged off would be great.

And yeah...superior is pretty friggin' impressive as far as providing realism.  I considered doing a "magic" far room that didn't have any brass in it...but I figured that might blow the whole thing...and I decided that I liked my rough mix too much to warrant going back and getting dorky.

Of course...then my rough mix got deleted...so the mix I delivered is really my second effort...and I'm not sure I like it as much as my first...but oh well.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

iCombs

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 06:18:06 PM »

Here's the first set.  I'm going to come at these from a producer/artist sort of standpoint...perhaps we'll all get a different perspective on the mixes from this angle.

Greg Dixon – Cut out the countoff...guessing that's going to be a common theme...it's always been part of the song for me.  The “WOO” too?  Damn.  Thought that was a bit of fun.  I like the verses a lot, and the bass is growling really nicely...perhaps a little further forward in the mix than I'd have put it, but it's doing a good job driving the song.  The guitar balances in the chorus are a pretty gutsy choice...I can see how you'd go there, and it's definitely not the safe bet.  It feels a little empty without all the rhythm guitar support, especially through the solo...loses a bit of size.  The vocal treatment is pretty good, if a little dark...but that's hard to really get a hold on with the mp3 factor.  Left the bass swell in at the end...like it!

Billybehdaz – HOLY CRAP BRIGHT!  Of course, I just listened to Greg's mix, so that's throwing me a little.  Let me reference something else to reset my ears and start over.

Okay...better.  Really using the hell out of those rooms, eh?  Like the depth there.  Mix feels really forward and aggressive...the guitars are pretty dominant in this mix...like the sparkle in the verses.  Woah edit!  Not a bad idea, but the execution falls a little short.  I can still hear the attack of the next set of guitar chords and that throws me out of the song a bit.  The aggressiveness of your mix propels the choruses well...not sure how the verses sit.  Tom/bass hit gone before the last chorus...man...I miss that...definitely taking chances with the editing.  No bass swell, either.  

Southboundloco – Didn't clean the top up at all!  Drums are punching HARD...perhaps a little on the bright side, but they've got some attitude.  The lead vocal feels like it's coming from behind the snare and off to the left.  Holy crap are those backing vocals huge.  They feel like they're out in front of the lead vocal.  And everything really sucks in at the chorus and starts to feel smaller than the verses...which would kinda reverse the natural dynamics of the song from verse to chorus.  The de-essing in the chorus makes me sound like I have a lisp.  Like Sylvester the cat lisp.  Interesting balance in the solo section.  Interestingly enough, those sliding octave parts in that section used to be the solo (I was the bass player in the band that wrote this, so I didn't get in on that part when I was in the band)...but I think the new solo is probably a stronger part.

Music Junky – Snare catches me first.  Has a lot of “pang” to it.  Vocal might be out front a bit far in the verse.  Love the grit and clank in the bass track...kills in the chorus.  The balances in the chorus feel pretty good...it feels like the verses need to get put back down to the intensity level where they belong.  The vocal is DEFINIITELY too far out front in the verses.  The 2 buss compression feels like a bit much...the whole thing is a bit squishy.  The L/R lead guitar thing at the solo plays out okay, but nothing clearly takes the place of the lead vocal there and that sort of muddles the part for me.  No delay vox?  I thought those were big for intensity, especially considering that they happened in transitional places.

El-duderino – A bit more subdued than the last couple mixes...perhaps even a little low-fi (not in a bad way).  Everything balances nicely through the first verse.  Vocal is placed nicely in the guitars.  Nice explosion into the chorus.  That first downbeat has a lot of pop to it.  Really like that.  It doesn't feel like you used a lot of compression...which means in this case that the dynamics of the song section to section seem to just happen by nature of the arrangement...which, IMO, is a good thing.  The lead vocal could probably stand for a little brightening up or just some more aggression...but then again, I don't know how well that'd play against the guitars...which feel pretty natural.  As a bass player, I'd probably ask for a little more top or honk or aggression, but I think it holds the bottom together well.  No tom hit  before the last chorus...somehow that just robs that section of a little drama for me.  On the whole, though, this is a solid mix.

Danko – Reverse intro!!! One I wouldn't have thought of.  Nice.  Kick sounds kinda big and metally.  Chorus much on the verse guitars?  Swirl, swirl!  Did you tune these vocals?  They feel different, somehow.  Part of that could be the L/R vocals going on in the chorus.  This mix is really aggressive and forward in a sort of “A Perfect Circle” sort of way...I like some of the ideas with the delay automation...would be nice to hear a little slower delay so I could make out the words being repeated.  The second chorus comes in with a big guitar rip...I really like that.  The guitar solo seems a bit like it's all by itself...would be nice it hear it fit into the track a little more.  The blend in the chorus is really pretty nice as far as vocal levels and guitars and such are concerned.

Martthie_08 – Thumpy drums.  In a good way...I like the size the snare has.  Feels natural and warm.  There's something mono in the balances...woah.  The panning is CRAZY compared to what everyone else has done so far.  In some ways I like the risk, but in other ways I feel like it's taking away from the power of that intro guitar riff.  The middle of this mix image is so nice in the verses.  It feels nice...comfortable to me.  The chorus definitely isn't opening up the way I'd imagined it.  The vocal feels separated from the rest of the mix in the chorus.  Really making use of that bass dirt track in the chorus and guitar solo...another L/R guitar solo section...not knocking your mix especially hard for that...it just doesn't seem to keep the power and size established by the chorus.  

Jdubdrums – NOOB!!  NOOB!!!  Welcome...hope you enjoyed mixing this!  Lotta hair on that high-hat!  Vocal feels good and forward, but the guitars feel like they're well back comparatively, at least in the verse.  Wow...chorus comes in big, but the lead vocal doesn't follow suit...kinda gets buried in the middle against the other vocals.  Total side note, but it's 5:30pm where I am as I'm typing this and it's dark out.  I'll be glad to see the winter solstice pass this year.  The song does the right thing in the chorus but the lead vocal REALLY has to come along with.  The guitars feel a bit like they're just sitting there...you could go after them more aggressively and still be well out of the danger zone.  The snare feels like it's had it's punch glands removed a bit...it's precise and it's placement is pretty good and I can HEAR it, but I can't FEEL it.  First person in a while to leave the swell in at the end.  

osumosan – DAMN that kick has some size.  BIG.  The drums feel really big and epic-y.  GRR!!!  The chorus feels like it's on a diet.  If those rhythm guitars came up a bit, it would be just ROCKING huge...part of perhaps a larger point is that the chorus has always felt (to me) a little cacophonous and that was part of it's appeal to me...it feels really big and noisy and even a little obnoxious...which helped set it off from the fairly polite/stock verses.  The treatment on the lead line is perfect...again...it's  the support that I feel like I'm missing.  Really...that's the biggest thing that keeps this mix from being just HUGE...everything else about it is awesome and could stand up well against bigger main rhythm guitars.

Baddo – out of the gate rocking....left the WOO in!!!  Trem guitar!! Nice...feels a little wobbly...mybe if it tucked back in the mix just a touch it'd keep me from feeling like my head was being shaken (I'm listening in cans because I'm on the road).  JESUS does that bass sound just BADASS in the chorus.  SICK.  As a bassist, it warms the cockles of my...well...cockle.  It might actually be a little far forward compared to the guitars...but I like the general treatment.  Chorus on the dirt in the second half of the second verse?  Not bad...definitely a different element.  There's a lot of space in the middle of this chorus mix...and I'm not sure I don't like it.  The guitars feel a little restricted, perhaps.  But not offensively so.  If I lived in a world where this song was a massive hit, this would be the mix that would get delivered to modern rock radio stations so it could sound big next to a Nickelback song.  Like the verb on the tom slam.  I really like the polish of this mix...wow...the end was really startling!  I haven't ever even heard that before, but damn...nice work.  Perhaps just a little more guitar punch (MAYBE some low mids or maybe just more level in the mix) and this is another really dominant sounding mix.

...alright...that's as far as my ears are going to take me for right now...gonna take a break and go to a NACA convention...should be a hoot tonight!

(did I just say “should be a hoot?”  Damn...I must have just spent 2 days in a van driving from Minneapolis to Hartford...)
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

Greg Dixon

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 07:38:07 PM »

iCombs wrote on Fri, 13 November 2009 10:01

So it was at least plausible, then?  I figure...if you're going to end up in a situation with a drummer who you're going to BD anyways...why not just program it and not deal with all the headaches that come along with that much editing?

If you wouldn't mind pointing out a couple things that felt mechanical, I'd love some feedback on that...I'm trying to nail down the little dynamic things and having stuff pointed out to me that I may have shrugged off would be great.

Actually 'very mechanical' was a bit harsh. You did a very convincing job. Very plausible.

It's just the snare in the chorus sections that sounds a bit stiff to me.

iCombs wrote on Fri, 13 November 2009 10:18

Greg Dixon – Cut out the countoff...guessing that's going to be a common theme...it's always been part of the song for me.  The “WOO” too?  Damn.  Thought that was a bit of fun.  I like the verses a lot, and the bass is growling really nicely...perhaps a little further forward in the mix than I'd have put it, but it's doing a good job driving the song.  The guitar balances in the chorus are a pretty gutsy choice...I can see how you'd go there, and it's definitely not the safe bet.  It feels a little empty without all the rhythm guitar support, especially through the solo...loses a bit of size.  The vocal treatment is pretty good, if a little dark...but that's hard to really get a hold on with the mp3 factor.  Left the bass swell in at the end...like it!

I thought the bass was one of the best parts of the track. I ended up using the DI track instead of the amp, with that Free Line6 plug they just gave away, using the SVT model. I kept the distorted track in.

I had the more melodic parts up in the chorus to give it more contrast to the verses and help it 'soar' and hoped the bass would fill it up more.

Listening this morning, the vocal is a bit dark. The vocal was the part of the mix I was least happy with. I struggled getting it to where I felt it sat well and consistently. Parts were too essy for my liking and I probably overcompensated for that. It was actually brighter than it is, right up to when I printed the mix. I should have taken a break and come back for one last listen, but it was late and I was too tired.

Sorry to lose the count and woo. That's where I always find these IMPs slightly artificial. I like having someone to argue with. Mind you I still like it better without them.  Rolling Eyes

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 11:33:57 PM »

i actually submitted a mix this time!!!

Big C

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 12:32:11 AM »

I have one up too, just uploaded.  Submission thread is already on lockdown, but it's there.  Hope some folks will give a listen.  I look forward to reading this all tomorrow at work and listening to everyone's mixes!

iCombs

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 10:29:04 AM »

Greg Dixon wrote on Thu, 12 November 2009 18:38

iCombs wrote on Fri, 13 November 2009 10:01

Actually 'very mechanical' was a bit harsh. You did a very convincing job. Very plausible.

It's just the snare in the chorus sections that sounds a bit stiff to me.

iCombs wrote on Fri, 13 November 2009 10:18

I thought the bass was one of the best parts of the track. I ended up using the DI track instead of the amp, with that Free Line6 plug they just gave away, using the SVT model. I kept the distorted track in.

I had the more melodic parts up in the chorus to give it more contrast to the verses and help it 'soar' and hoped the bass would fill it up more.

Listening this morning, the vocal is a bit dark. The vocal was the part of the mix I was least happy with. I struggled getting it to where I felt it sat well and consistently. Parts were too essy for my liking and I probably overcompensated for that. It was actually brighter than it is, right up to when I printed the mix. I should have taken a break and come back for one last listen, but it was late and I was too tired.

Sorry to lose the count and woo. That's where I always find these IMPs slightly artificial. I like having someone to argue with. Mind you I still like it better without them.  Rolling Eyes

That's totally cool...I figure that I've probably got a better perspective than anyone for what I think the SONG should be and how the mix could best serve that intent...and I can tell you that just through the first set of listens, there are plenty of ways to make me happy with the mixes SO LONG AS certain things are doing their jobs.  From a producer/artist standpoint, I'm not so concerned with "is this the most perfectest EQ for the high hat," but more of the really big picture stuff..."does this mix feel like it has the power that the song has?"  "Are the dynamics where they should be?"  "Does the mix bring any additional energy to the song that wasn't there before?"  It's kinda macro stuff but it's surprising how much that those things can get overlooked...and I'll admit that even I get bogged down...I'll tell you that the monitor mix I did for my vocal sessions was 95% of the way there and it took me 15 minutes.  Unfortunately I lost that mix due to an accidental deletion, but all it would've taken was a little more tweezing on the vocal and some automation and it was done as far as I was concerned.

I saw an interview with CLA recently and it dawned on me why he works the way he does...He gets sounds almost as fast as alive sound guy...and then spends the majority of his time in automation.  He's not bogging himself down with "is this the PERFECT EQ on this kick drum?"  He gets a sound; he starts working.  Not a lot of looking back.  Now, granted, dude has a bajillion years of experience doing what he does, so his instincts are pretty sharp, but there's something to be learned here and that is that the SOUND isn't crucially important when put next to the SONG.

Just woke up...going to start listening to more mixes in a little bit.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

j.hall

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 11:24:21 AM »

Big C wrote on Thu, 12 November 2009 23:32

I have one up too, just uploaded.  Submission thread is already on lockdown, but it's there.  Hope some folks will give a listen.  I look forward to reading this all tomorrow at work and listening to everyone's mixes!

sorry man, i locked it early.  i knew this was going to happen.

i worked an 18 hour day yesterday.  not an excuse, just saying i was really tired.  leaving the studio, i just locked it up and went home.

again, sorry bout that.

iCombs

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »

ROUND 2!!!

Rankus – Like the intro.  Things feel like they're sitting really well...the lead vocal is a bit buried in the chorus...not unlike Greg Dixon's chorus, actually...main rhythm guitars are a bit further back...I'm actually losing words on the lead vocal in the guitars.  The rhythm track balance isn't bad, but I GOTTA GOTTA GOTTA be able to hear every word...even if the lyrics don't make much sense.  It seems like the compression is inverting the dynamics of the vocal.  Same goes for the solo section...what's featuring there?  The sliding octave guitar or the solo?  FWIW, I think the guitars sound just fine...I know that was a concern for you...I thought those slid into place just fine.

Reno – Really dry...and I don't think that's a bad thing.  The vocal treatment is really tasteful...there's something about the dryer treatment overall that makes the chorus feel slower and calmer to me...which, if played off the chorus right, is AWESOME.  The chorus comes in well...I like the delays on some of the second guitar stuff.  I think this mix is really solid, if on the generally safe side.  I think there's perhaps a little more excitement in the chorus than your mix lets on.  I'm really enjoying the more relaxed sonics in the verse...but they feel like they should be launching into a bigger, meaner chorus.  The guitar solo is in a nice spot, even off to the left like that...it's still an obvious feature.  I really like the intimacy of the vocal right before the last chorus.  Good, solid mix.  I think that finding a way to make the chorus a little bigger would serve the song's dynamics a little better.

Miguel M – The kick feels like it's part cannon.  I like the guitar edits in the verse.  WOAH...the lead vocal is just standing on the track in the chorus...like...it's feet are on the band's shoulders...it only needs it's head above the band.  The vocal treatment is generally good...but the rest of the band feels really dark and muffled in comparison to the vocal.  I can only barely hear the cymbals...and there seem to be snare hits disappearing here and there...did you use any samples?  The very, very top of the backing vocals are all I can make out of them...I can't hear much for actual notes.  I'm not feeling a lot of connection in this mix...like...everything's in it, but not everything is connecting to the things around it.

iCombs – you lazy ass, you didn't even clean up the top of the song!!  Guitars are pretty well forward...the mix actually feels a bit scooped out in the low mids.  Everything is pretty aggressive and forward and bright, which is not something I'm used to from you.  The chorus feels good and big though...nice punch into that first chorus...the bass clank is perhaps a bit much, you egotistical prick.  At least you didn't get yourself in the way of the arrangement.  Edited some harmonies out of the chorus, I see.  Not a bad choice.  Really feature those rhythm guitars...toms feel good top to bottom, which I know you normally suck pretty severely at.  Y'know...you really should get rid of that beard.  Vocal delays in the break section are definitely too much...should have pulled those back.  Automation...you know...the thing that makes mixing cool and good?  Try some, dink.

All I have time for right now, but that's the end of page one...gotta go work the NACA convention...be back this evening after our showcase!
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------

Reno

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 02:13:03 PM »

iCombs wrote on Fri, 13 November 2009 12:28

ROUND 2!!!

Reno – Really dry...and I don't think that's a bad thing.  The vocal treatment is really tasteful...there's something about the dryer treatment overall that makes the chorus feel slower and calmer to me...which, if played off the chorus right, is AWESOME.  The chorus comes in well...I like the delays on some of the second guitar stuff.  I think this mix is really solid, if on the generally safe side.  I think there's perhaps a little more excitement in the chorus than your mix lets on.  I'm really enjoying the more relaxed sonics in the verse...but they feel like they should be launching into a bigger, meaner chorus.  The guitar solo is in a nice spot, even off to the left like that...it's still an obvious feature.  I really like the intimacy of the vocal right before the last chorus.  Good, solid mix.  I think that finding a way to make the chorus a little bigger would serve the song's dynamics a little better.

All I have time for right now, but that's the end of page one...gotta go work the NACA convention...be back this evening after our showcase!

thank you!

Reno

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 02:14:35 PM »

Baddo2

Good mix, well balanced, good levels. Perhaps too much reverb and depth... The band seems to be so far away from me! But it’s easy to listen... I like you “hi-fi” sound with a lot af of low and and highs and a midrange sweet as possible

Billybedhaz

Your mix must be good but de pumping mastering you made don’t help...
Just too much reverb on vocals and snare is so far ...  and plastic

El duderino

Good work... miss a little punch in the kick but it works. Voclas are a little small

Graham
Nice Intimist mix... pretty similar to mine... Vocals are just too deep and don’t  Lead the song
Bass is in the Coridor... lol. But it’s good and clean work

iCombs
It’s your song so I think you mix it like you want to hear it! It sound very tiny to me... Come on guy!!! Your song is great don’t be shy make it sound BIG, LOUD and warm to everyone! Exept the kick that hammered my face, the others isntruments seems to be hide behind the teacher and say “COUCOU on est l

rankus

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 04:34:45 PM »

iCombs wrote on Fri, 13 November 2009 10:28

Rankus – Like the intro.  Things feel like they're sitting really well...the lead vocal is a bit buried in the chorus...not unlike Greg Dixon's chorus, actually...main rhythm guitars are a bit further back...I'm actually losing words on the lead vocal in the guitars.  The rhythm track balance isn't bad, but I GOTTA GOTTA GOTTA be able to hear every word...even if the lyrics don't make much sense.  It seems like the compression is inverting the dynamics of the vocal.  Same goes for the solo section...what's featuring there?  The sliding octave guitar or the solo?  FWIW, I think the guitars sound just fine...I know that was a concern for you...I thought those slid into place just fine.

Thanks Ian!  Ya the guitars are fine... I just thought with the high level of tracking on the other instruments that they were the weaker (but not weak) link. In other words the tracks were real pro.. a little more attention to the gtrs and it would 100% pro.

Ya, my mix was very hasty... like the CLA thing you were mentioning above... very much by the seat of my pants, live mix, in about three or four hours including sorting tracks.. no time for automation hence deciding which level the vox should be: (chorus or verses) .

Haha good catch on the lead break... honestly that slipped past me completely!

Great job on this tune dude!  Thanks for sharing it!

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

rankus

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »

Reno wrote on Fri, 13 November 2009 11:14

RANKUS
Another mastered version. But this time it’s a listenable mastered... It’s warm and very well balanced in the low end . A lot of nice harmonics . AURAL enhancer?? Sounds good! Exept the double solo parts... :-S

Nope not "mastered".  I did throw a limiter across the two bus although only about 1.5db reduction... There's  plenty of headroom at only about -10db rms.

I mix LOUD... Having seen premaster mixes from Andy Wallace my mix is not as loud as his.

Thanks for the props... Ya I'm a bit embarrassed about the double lead... completely missed that,,

These IMP's do not see my full attention or best work. I just try to get a good kick, snare and vocal, and balance things... if it were a paying gig this would be my starting point, then automation and artists input for the final.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.