R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boys Like Girls  (Read 7620 times)

rankus

Boys Like Girls
« on: November 08, 2009, 03:54:10 PM »

the band:  Boys Like Girls
the album:  Love Drunk

I'm currently starting a cowrite and production in the power pop / punk pop vein and we're using the above mentioned BLG album as a touch stone...

If your at all into this genre or work with these type of bands this album is a MUST listen... Tight writing / performance / production.  

Makes Paramore look like a demo.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Phillip Graham

Re: Boys Like Girls
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:30:40 PM »

rankus wrote on Sun, 08 November 2009 15:54

the band:  Boys Like Girls
the album:  Love Drunk

I'm currently starting a cowrite and production in the power pop / punk pop vein and we're using the above mentioned BLG album as a touch stone...

If your at all into this genre or work with these type of bands this album is a MUST listen... Tight writing / performance / production.  

Makes Paramore look like a demo.

How does it compare to the TLA sections of All Time Low's "Nothing Personal?"

ATLow's FOH guy is a buddy of mine, and is a very good live mixer.  Those guys (ATL) really do their thing very well live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZtdVPDFAWI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpBsJAYIzGk

PS fake backline is the only way to go for low stage volume and consistency between gigs.  Sansamp RPM (bass) and Palmer PDI-03s (guitar).  OH, and the TM also sings BGV live...
Phillip Graham

seangould

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 04:32:04 PM »

I actually worked on both of those records (Love Drunk and Nothing Personal). I'm sure the producers will be happy to hear that!

rankus

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »

seangould wrote on Thu, 15 April 2010 13:32

I actually worked on both of those records (Love Drunk and Nothing Personal). I'm sure the producers will be happy to hear that!

Awesome Sean!  What guitars/amps were used if I may be so bold as to ask?

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

rankus

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »

Phillip Graham wrote on Mon, 09 November 2009 12:30

How does it compare to the TLA sections of All Time Low's "Nothing Personal?"

Thanks Philip. I would be quite interested to have a listen to TLA's mixes on ATL's stuff... do you know which songs he did?  I will grab them off iTunes (and support the band in the process) Smile

seangould

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 04:38:16 PM »

Rick - Pretty much all of the main rhythms were cut through a combination of a 70s JMP 100 watt and Bogner Uberschall. The JMP was through a Marshall cab with celestions and the Uberschall with a Bogner cab. Each cab was mic'd with a combination of royer 121 and josephson e22s. The 121s went to Great River Me-1NVs and the josephsons to neve 1272s. I think on pretty much every song we used an AC30 CC for a cleaner, bright sound on the choruses. If I remember correctly we only used two guitars the entire time: Martin's Gibson Tom DeLonge custom shop and my Gibson '58 LP custom shop. We may have used a Fender '52 custom but I don't remember. But aside from the gear, a huge part of the sound is how Martin tunes his guitars. It's usually open D a half-step down. He plays a lot of big, chimey parts that way. Compare it to the ATL record which was pretty much recorded the same way. Just goes to show that it's mostly about the player.

Also, TLA mixed all of BLG and I know he did the two songs I did on ATL - Lost In Stereo and Hello, Brooklyn plus the first single which was Weightless (I think?)

rankus

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 05:13:21 PM »

Awesome!  Thanks for being so candid Sean... GREATLY appreciated! I absolutely love the sound you guys got on the BLG disc... Off to buy the ATL songs right now Wink

We are pretty close with our gtr/amp choices.. we're using Les Paul into JCM2000 / Mesa dual rectofrier mic'd with R121's and sm57's ... (might change out the 57's now though)  I also have an AC30 on hand, so that tip is most welcome!  Prolly gonna try a little Tele for the brights too.

What about Keys?  You guys have some pretty sweet background (and foreground) keys on there... What keyboards did you have on hand? Some vocoder by the sounds of it too?

seangould

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 05:48:51 PM »

All the synths were pretty much NI. A lot of pro-52, Massive, and Kontakt. I like  the vacuum and hybrid synths in Tools too. Also Logic. it has the only software vocoder that I've found to be usable. Oh I forgot to mention as far as amps... Brian Howse used a JMP reissue right off the shelf and he got killer sounds.

rankus

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »

Thanks Sean.  I'm surprised they were all box synths but they do sound pretty darned good. Pro 53 has always been one of my favorites too.

With all the little ear candy and special effects edits the BLG album must have a ton of hours invested?  You must be extremely proud of that one!

PS:  Welcome to the PSW forums.  You should stick around!  If you haven't found it already there is a drop-down menu lower left on the page that lists all the other forums on PSW: Whatever Works is hosted by Terry Manning (of ZZ Top fame amongst many others) and Ross Hogarth who is a genius... Many other great forums there too!

seangould

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 02:20:30 PM »

Ross is awesome. I've learned a lot talking to him. He has amazing stories! Ross should have a forum devoted to his stories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.