R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Business question...  (Read 5370 times)

OTR-jkl

Re: Business question...
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 08:40:44 PM »

I guess I'm just gonna have to start requiring full payment before sending out the ref. I'll still make the ref a clone of the Master because I want them to listen down the entire project just as it will be replicated. Once I get approval, its a done deal - any changes after that will be on the clock...

I would like to think that I can trust all clients to keep their end of the deal. In a perfect world...
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

bobkatz

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2004, 11:25:12 AM »

OTR-jkl wrote on Fri, 23 July 2004 14:44

I understand and agree fully about not releasing Masters w/o full payment but my dilemma involves the ref (the Master is still sitting in my Outbox!!!). I need to figure out a way to deliver a good ref (one that the client can use to approve the work from) but still prevent them from using it in place of the Master.

It's been a while since I had to do this, as I've tried to pre-qualify my clients, but I have been known to put an extra track at the end of the ref which is one of their original tracks unmastered. It can be a nice thing because they get to hear their original source and can compare it to the master. But it also makes an impediment to sending that ref directly off for mastering.

Other people have done nasty things like fading out the last cut before it is over so they can't use it. Or putting in a voiceover somewhere or whatever. Frankly, those things backfire and only make the client angry so I don't advise it. But my little trick of putting in the "before mastered" cut at the end of the ref is often appreciated. Sure, they can remove the track and then send it off to be mastered. But nothing is foolproof...   Prequalify your clients and get deposits, payments, or P.Os.

Watermarking?  Don't get me started.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

rdolmat

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2005, 10:12:41 AM »

OTR-jkl wrote on Fri, 23 July 2004 11:44

I understand and agree fully about not releasing Masters w/o full payment but my dilemma involves the ref (the Master is still sitting in my Outbox!!!). I need to figure out a way to deliver a good ref (one that the client can use to approve the work from) but still prevent them from using it in place of the Master.

I got this response on the Samp forum:
Quote:

Of course you have to write on the proof that it is protected by "Watermarking" and at no ways to be used as a production master

Anyone know what "Watermarking" is with regard to a ref disc...?

How about just using Voxengo BEEP. It's a freeware plug that can add a tone of any length at any frequency. You can specify it to add a 1k beep (1sec long) every 20 sec etc...just strap it on the master buss and export the file.

cheers
rich
Cheers
rich

mastermind

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2005, 10:14:24 PM »

For YEARS now I've either been paid for my work at the time I do it (ie - when I release a ref) or it's a PO from someone who has undergone a standard credit application. This is usually just label work or work from other like businesses.

I can't say I've ever had a problem with a client about getting paid before releasing any materials.

t

trevor sadler

lambda

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2005, 08:42:28 AM »

You could write your own firmware for a CD-R drive so it adds lots of correctable C1 errors within the Red Book standard, but outside of what any replication plant would accept. Rolling Eyes

bblackwood

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2005, 09:32:21 PM »

I think giving the client a crippled ref is a really bad idea, personally. If you treat the client like you think they are crooks right out of the gate...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

lucey

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2005, 10:16:16 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 20:32

I think giving the client a crippled ref is a really bad idea, personally. If you treat the client like you think they are crooks right out of the gate...

Distrust ruins everything ...

Separation of Church and State
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

jackthebear

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2005, 01:11:03 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 11:32

Certainly not the best way to start off the relationship but having said that why just not give them anything until the job has been paid for unless of course there has been prior arrangements made? Or at the the very least a deposit of say 50%.

It doesn't often happen here but I'm amazed how people can roll up to a session without any money or a cheque book. Try to go as a new customer anywhere and ask for $1500 of credit just on your word alone and see what happens.......

Cheers,
Tony "Jack the Bear" Mantz
Glorified Tape Copy Boy and
Audio Janitor
Deluxe Mastering
Melbourne, Australia
deluxemastering.com.au
+61 419234100
Facebook | twitter | MySpace

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2005, 11:09:55 AM »

The first sign of trouble is when somebody who has been around expects credit as a new client. Virtually nobody works that way with individuals. Chris Stone told me that he required the names of three established studios and always called them before extending credit to anybody.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.