R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Encoded text' on CD for pressings question  (Read 2302 times)

ssltech

'Encoded text' on CD for pressings question
« on: November 06, 2009, 02:28:54 PM »

May I pick the collective brains here for a moment?

-I recorded, edited and mixed what became a double-CD project for a client over the course of a year or so, during which the mixes were re-done, edits were re-done, the sequence changed, gaps were tweaked and in general, things were in a state of flux for a good number of 'versions'.

Eventually we ended up with two CDs worth of material, and -a few months ago- I gave him what turned out to be the 'final' CD-R's... though I must say that I more than half expected some further 'changes' to be called-for.

Anyhow, having lived with the music for a while, he sent a couple off to a producer who is going to release them for him. However, he has forwarded me the following message from the producer:

Quote:

Regarding encoded text, the masters we use must have as part of their data the title of the disc, the catalog number, information on each track, etc. Unless there is an error with my equipment (unlikely), it appears the discs you sent are not encoded in this way. Can you provide new masters with this encoding? If not, [name] at [company] can. Regarding tracking sheets, what you have sent is certainly useful, but the plant requires something of a more technical nature - typically a "frame accurate" timing sheet. Again, if you cannot provide this, [name] can.

The encoded text is an industry standard feature, and the tracking sheet is for your protection should the plant produce 1000 2-CD sets with a missing or truncated track.

Before I reply to him (because I'm not sure of this producer's exact credentials/abilities, etc) I wondered how I could possibly have 'encoded' a catalog number onto a disc, when I don't KNOW the catalog number...

Anyhow, the client is an elderly gentleman who now seems to be rather nervous as a result of having been told that 'the Cd's you sent don't conform to industry standards...' (I'm paraphrasing, but that essentially seems to be his concern.)

Since I don't do this for a living, and I'm not in ANY way an expert, -when he says 'encoded text' -does he mean the typical 'CD text' as encoded by toast etc. -or is he referring to something more involved?

-Also, for frame-accurate timing, can I just load the wav files into Pro-Tools or similar and read off the file lengths at 30fps, or is it a more complicated/involved matter?

I never truly anticipated these discs to be released necessarily in the exact form which I gave to him, but I'm reluctant to say anything which may give him a wrong impression... if that makes sense.

-Thanks in advance,

Keith.
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

bblackwood

Re: 'Encoded text' on CD for pressings question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 03:11:28 PM »

Sounds like he just needs a PQ sheet (CD subcode is 75fps, not 30). Most any CD 'pro' (yeesh, I hate that term, but you know what I mean) creation software can create a proper master any more.

As for the subcode data being accurate, no one requires catalog/UPC numbers etc - in fact it seems about the only subcode data that's required from the P-W channels is the P  (start flags) anymore...

If you hit the wall, hit me off list and I'll do whatever is needed to get this thing rolling for you.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

ssltech

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 03:49:32 PM »

Thanks Brad.

I'm headed to Europe for a couple of weeks, but I might be able to get him sorted quickly before I leave. -I'll let you know.

Cheers!

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

blip

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 02:32:49 PM »

If I had to guess the percentage of audio CD masters we receive that are accompanied by a PQ sheet these days, I'd say low single digits.

bblackwood

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 03:08:36 PM »

blip wrote on Sat, 07 November 2009 13:32

If I had to guess the percentage of audio CD masters we receive that are accompanied by a PQ sheet these days, I'd say low single digits.

Wow, that's surprising!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

jdg

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 07 November 2009 12:08

blip wrote on Sat, 07 November 2009 13:32

Wow, that's surprising!

could it be that the clients are just not forwarding the PQ sheets they are getting from the mastering engineer?

or a mastering enginerd is not actually cutting the parts? (the band or the mix person doing it?)

john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

blip

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 07:34:10 PM »

I'm sure it's a combination of both. The state of masters has definitely declined since the "pmcd" and 1630 days. I imagine a whole lot of discs that go to our plant were made with itunes.

I remember a time when we has multiple rooms/shifts doing nothin but transferring DATs into Sonic Solutions and creating a PMCD for the plant!

Waltz Mastering

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 06:56:19 AM »

blip wrote on Sat, 07 November 2009 14:32

When PQ sheets are provided,  are they useful at all these days?

blip

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 08:22:30 PM »

Honestly, the process is very automated, but if there's an issue when running the master through Eclipse then the having the PQ info would definitely be a help.

Garrett H

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 04:53:54 PM »

I constantly have clients toss the PQ report because they think its replaced by the DiscMakers Track Form Listing sheet.

Most artists are confused by the entire process, so I'm not surprised this is another hurdle.
Treelady Studios, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.treelady.com
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine
http://www.tapeop.com

blip

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 08:52:11 PM »

It's tough to know just what a client is going to do with a master after you hand if off to them. If you can generate DDP files we'll have a pretty easy way to upload them soon so if you know a client is coming to us for replication you can take them out of the loop altogether and know the master you made for them is what we're receiving.

Printing a small version of the PQ log on an insert that goes in the jewel case and then sealing the master with a sticker or tape seems to be a good way to keep everything together, I see this often.

Nothing will keep a determined client from f'ing up their master though, I see quite a few discs marked "reference copy only" come through from some of the bigger mastering houses, fingerprinted and scratched.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.