R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: You Guys Are 11 out of 11 BUT hardest one yet.  (Read 17614 times)

,,deda,, Tim Porter

Re: You Guys Are 11 out of 11 BUT hardest one yet.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 01:56:02 PM »

Thanks so much for these links they are so much help. I'll be spending the day checking out all I can find on your recommendations.

My location has been a problem for the last year of looking. I'm from 100 west of Dallas/Ft.Worth Texas. This location is about 300 miles south of the dead center of the country. This has caused shipping/frieght issues because I want to pick up and hopefully audition any board.

From where I am in the center of the country and over the last year it seems all consoles are in Miami or Bangor Maine or Vancouver or San Diego. All of which are 2,000 plus miles, ONE WAY. This has caused me to pass on some good candidates.

Thanks again to all, regards ,,deda,,

seedyunderbelly.com wrote on Tue, 03 November 2009 08:16

Deda,

It does not say where you are located  -  So I can not suggest where---  However-  Marcel  Steered you right -  A Neotek  is what you need imo-

You can get a smaller NEW one and rock a summing mixer-  Or find a Used Elan-  Not sure why Fletcher did not mention the Elan as it is perfect-  Do your homework though as some of the frames are bad--  Early 90's Elans have Metal frames though..    Some of the consoles had Switch problems but that was from an earlier era..  

Elites are great  but I would prefer a newer Elan to an older Elite..

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/so-much-gear-so-l   ittle-time/14014d1136304202-my-new-neotek-elan-here-stormklo udstudios_pics_0-edited.jpg   It should look like this one-(Older ones are Grey newer ones are razor pimp BLACK)

I would prefer it to an Amek.

If you want to go new   here is your axe:

http://www.sytek-audio-systems.com/products/consoles/elan2-t t/

Good Luck!

j

http://i33.tinypic.com/2yltiyo.jpg

"Practice does not make Perfect, Perfect Practice makes Perfect" Vince Lombardi

Fletcher

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 03:58:47 PM »

,,deda,, Tim Porter wrote on Tue, 03 November 2009 13:56

This location is about 300 miles south of the dead center of the country.

Now that is a very interesting twist on being from the middle of nowhere!!!
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 05:58:42 PM »

Here Deda-  

http://www.sugarhillstudios.com/home.html

or you could find one in Dallas   I am guessing there is one-  People are generally awesome about letting others check out their boards--

Good Luck!

j

Skullsessions

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 02:18:29 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Tue, 03 November 2009 14:58

,,deda,, Tim Porter wrote on Tue, 03 November 2009 13:56

This location is about 300 miles south of the dead center of the country.

Now that is a very interesting twist on being from the middle of nowhere!!!

LaCrosse, Kansas - the affore mentioned center

James Hook
Houston, TX

stevieeastend

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 11:40:26 AM »

edit

Spindrift

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 04:50:18 PM »

Good post Deda and fantastic input on an interesting problem.

My situation is similar to Deda's, I'm on a RADAR 24 Nyquist OTB but I do completely mobile recording. My setup fits in a trailer on my F350/truck-camper and I go to the acts and interesting venues to record.

Since I originally started out just tracking bands, I picked up an A&H ZED-428 28 input board to mainly do rough and cue mixes on.  Now, my ears are not golden by any means but I find this relatively cheap board able to make some decent mixes because I am paying attention to getting the source sounds to be right before recording them. I think that extra effort makes mixing much easier.  Right now, I'm very limited on my FX returns but it's something I'm able to live with since my track counts are relatively low.

I thought seriously about upgrading to a decent really good sounding board that is portable and the only thing that I think fits this bill is the Toft ATB32.  I was scared away by the stories of poor build quality in the first series thinking that it would never hold up in a flight case in a trailer going down some gravel roads.  I'm wondering if they've improved the build quality at all with subsequent models.

If I'm missing some options here other than the Toft, please speak up!  And thanks for reading.

Keith

Fletcher

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 08:38:57 AM »

Keith, have you thought about building the system into the trailer rather than just hauling it around?  ...then you could get a desk that doesn't need to be in a road case all the time.

Just a thought... not necessarily a good one.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Spindrift

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 04:09:47 PM »

Thanks Fletcher, that idea has crossed my mind but my style is to work with the musicians in the same room.

Thanks,
Keith

abtech

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 06:20:06 PM »

Why?  You can't use monitors then and headphones aren't my idea of ideal monitoring . . .
and your girlfriend too . . .

Fletcher

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 10:03:02 AM »

Of course you can use monitors when you're working in the same room as the "talent".  Its harder to make critical listening decisions, but it can certainly be done.  You can get a good idea of mic selection and placement but I've always been loathe to go anywhere near an equalizer in those situations.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

compasspnt

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 20 queries.