R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting a New Music Production School - advice  (Read 4235 times)

mixwell

Re: Starting a New Music Production School - advice
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 10:23:43 PM »

Help students find careers, at all costs.

Be honest with them, and give them the facts about placement in the field.

Tell them there are one thousand people who are qualifying right now, for the audio job they so ever desire.  

Beyond all other obstacles, student placement in the field, seems most important for an educational facility to etch into curriculum.

Though, I think some things in AE education are omitted.  Perhaps the suggestion that you are training to become an ASSISTANT FIRST and NOT AN ENGINEER?

I don't think BEING AN ASSISTANT is traditionally being promoted.  

Some schools are helpful and prepare you, others put shiny objects in front of you.

There is a GREAT BOOK by Tim Crich, that SHOULD BE A REQUIREMENT.

http://www.aehandbook.com/

Teaching to "think" is a great point.

When I did my math homework, with my grandfather. I asked him the "point" of it. He said, "it teaches you to think".

What Fletcher points out is perhaps the most important thing I have learned from him, and Mercenary. Attention to Detail. There are a bunch of other noteworthy bulletin points to discuss, but its all useless without this one.

Lots of people want to be in "da music business" and "da industry" and "make a million bucks", and do shit they have no clue about. Very few have respect and patience for the wisdom earned and craft thereof. I think that be where you come in Teach.

I am making a sweeping generalization about the audio industry, but perhaps if we widen our lens for a minute, we may see new and exciting places of opportunity to gain experience with audio.

Recording Music is not the only game in town, and I learned that opening my mind to the possibilities that are before me, would be important in finding success.

Not everyone can be a top shelf "produsa" or a bad mother F#$&^'N audio engineer of the apocalypse, but surely these goals are attainable, should you muster the fortitude to make it through BOOT CAMP and gain EXPERIENCE in the real world.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 11:12:30 PM »

A good friend, with several Grammys, who's recorded many records we know, said this to me recently: "You can still make a living in this business, but you can't create wealth anymore."

Teach them that.  And teach that that the amount of them that will actually make a living will be a very, very small fraction.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

jrmintz

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 10:31:08 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 08:38

This impact has led "the majors" to circle the wagons and only put out product they think will "earn" for the company as they just can not feasibly sustain more economic losses.

And yet it's still the unwavering conventional wisdom that the most desirable demographic is exactly the one that doesn't want to pay for music.

Teach them to figure out who knows what's going on and to shut up, watch, listen, and learn.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 18 queries.