R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: SE Reflexion Filter  (Read 24739 times)

NelsonL

Re: SE Reflexion Filter
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2010, 01:13:28 AM »

rankus wrote on Mon, 25 January 2010 11:02

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 25 January 2010 06:13

Rick, have done a very similar thing here, but had to paint the pvc tubes...yours appear to be black originally...?  Can you get already-painted pvc?

Oh shoot!  Yes, they are ABS plastic (drain/sewer pipe) rather than PVC.  My bad!  It comes in black as a stock color.

I know it's not an original idea... I'm glad to see others have designed the same type of setup.  Necessity being the mother of invention and all (or was that Frank Zappa) Very Happy  

Didn't mean to detract from your originality-- just wanted to chime in with a "me too."

I mean, after all, you're the studio owner with the coin op beer machine, that's genius!

thinman

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2010, 02:00:24 PM »

rankus wrote on Sat, 23 January 2010 22:17

thinman wrote on Sat, 23 January 2010 18:44

Any chance you could put up a picture of it?  I'd like to see it.

Sure thing!  I just snapped some iPhone pics and will post them later tonight or tomorrow morning (pst)

Rick, I just made my way back to this thread. Thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures.

Now, all I need to know is how a plaid blanket would affect the sound versus a solid color or perhaps a leopard patterned blanket; or better yet a snow leopard blanket. Of course the snow leopard blanket may not be backwards compatible with the black ABS pipes. Terry, maybe you shouldn't have been so hasty to paint your PVC pipes black.

Seriously though, thanks. I've been thinking of getting Ethan's rig but this would be less costly and the frame could break down and live in my garage when not in use. Interesting that the singer faces outward from your rig but into the Real Traps Vocal Booth.
"Lord, I am a surgeon, And music is my knife, It cuts away my sorrow, And purifies my life"

mattrussell

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2010, 03:29:10 PM »

i have one and think it's sounds just OK.  have tried it in a variety of spaces, with different mics and voices.  

it def helps "quiet the room", but i've also noticed some filtering that isn't always pleasant.  as others have said, it's cumbersome to carry, transport and use, but it does beats many alternatives that are "macgyver-esque".

i'd give it a 7 out of 10.  

matt russell
producer/engineer
boston, ma
http://www.gainstructure.com

thinman

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2010, 01:19:00 AM »

thinman wrote on Sat, 13 February 2010 13:00

rankus wrote on Sat, 23 January 2010 22:17

thinman wrote on Sat, 23 January 2010 18:44

Any chance you could put up a picture of it?  I'd like to see it.

Sure thing!  I just snapped some iPhone pics and will post them later tonight or tomorrow morning (pst)

Rick, I just made my way back to this thread. Thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures.

Now, all I need to know is how a plaid blanket would affect the sound versus a solid color or perhaps a leopard patterned blanket; or better yet a snow leopard blanket. Of course the snow leopard blanket may not be backwards compatible with the black ABS pipes. Terry, maybe you shouldn't have been so hasty to paint your PVC pipes black.

Seriously though, thanks. I've been thinking of getting Ethan's rig but this would be less costly and the frame could break down and live in my garage when not in use. Interesting that the singer faces 'outward' from your rig but 'into' the Real Traps Vocal Booth.

"Lord, I am a surgeon, And music is my knife, It cuts away my sorrow, And purifies my life"

GerhardS

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 03:06:36 PM »

thinman wrote on Tue, 23 February 2010 01:19

Interesting that the singer faces 'outward' from your rig but 'into' the Real Traps Vocal Booth.

The singer sings from  'Live End' into 'Dead End'. Why?

Has already been used back in 1924:

http://www.picbutler.de/archiv.html?bild=115995&bild_nam e=koenigswusterhausenreflectionfilter90ou9.jpg

rankus

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2010, 04:30:57 PM »

Hi Guys,  Sorry I forgot to check back on this thread.

My thinking on "which way to point the singer" is more to do with which way to point the mic. If the mic is pointing out of the booth with the singer facing inwards then the mic is still going to catch room reflections from behind the singer... There is a lot of sound coming out the back of the singers chest as well as the front and mouth.

Anyway.  If the mic is pointing into the booth with singer facing out, he/she will be exciting the room, but the mic is less likely to pick it up due to it facing into the dead booth..

Not MY technique BTW ... this is pretty standard procedure.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

3rd 4thT

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2010, 01:31:07 AM »

GerhardS wrote on Wed, 24 February 2010 15:06

thinman wrote on Tue, 23 February 2010 01:19

Interesting that the singer faces 'outward' from your rig but 'into' the Real Traps Vocal Booth.

The singer sings from  'Live End' into 'Dead End'. Why?

Has already been used back in 1924:

http://www.picbutler.de/archiv.html?bild=115995&bild_nam e=koenigswusterhausenreflectionfilter90ou9.jpg

I don't trust this photo for placement. I think it is posed. Why is the cellist facing the camera with the mic behind him and probably too high up? And where are the other mics? They've been removed so competing companies couldn't steal their mic placement secrets.

I also think the year is wrong. If this is 1924, they would have been recording into an acoustic horn. The first commercial electrical recordings with microphones was 1925, and very few studios had them. It was five more years before everybody had switched to the new system..

So it's cute and informative, but not gospel.

Here's a photo of EMI's recording of Strauss's Capriccio in London in 1957. The sessions were recorded in stereo, but they screwed it up (EMI, remember?) and the set was released only in mono.

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/2636775.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=45B0EB3381F7834D778370150D18466B929D5248C5803219CA52222F25EC092C

Cheers,
3rd&4thT

3rd 4thT

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2010, 01:43:39 AM »

And here's a photo of Frank Sinatra recording with Count Basie.

Note the booth. All that's missing is a zoning permit for the garage.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/74295824.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D0D1D724E58A693B7A63CD2A4A09DDA08444D5C167AC4BEB23
Cheers,
3rd&4thT
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 20 queries.