R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: SE Reflexion Filter  (Read 24734 times)

rick-slo

Re: SE Reflexion Filter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 06:37:07 PM »

I had a couple of the larger ones (not the instrumental RFs). Using pencil type mikes the mike capsules were about even or a bit beyond the outer edges of the filter (could not get them further in even if I wanted to). It is a nicely made product and may serve some applications well and help solve some problems such as may occur with mobile recording for example.

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 12:32:55 PM »

Hmmm.  My room's ALREADY boxy.  According to the SE site this thing also diffuses, so I was hoping it would help.  Maybe I'll pick one up sometime (from someplace with a good return policy) and give it a try.  Thanks for everyone's input.

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 12:09:47 PM »

I have the reflection filter and have enjoyed it's benefits as well. I learned about it's usefulness on the Sound on Sound magazine rescue articles they have every month. If you don't have a vocal booth and don't want something to big that will take up a lot of room the SE RF does a good job. The important thing is not to put the mic deep into the filter as this causes some combing issues. Many others have come out with similar products, but many are too big as they block the singer from being able to see other band members so they can't work off each other.

PaulyD

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »

An alternative to the SE Reflexion filter you may want to consider is the RealTraps Portable Vocal Booth: http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm

I've never tried one, but it sure looks like it would get the job done.

Paul

maarvold

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 08:32:14 PM »

Yesterday, in addition to other things on my agenda, I had the opportunity to do a bit of additional testing in a controlled environment with the Reflexion Filter.  Using it changes the sound a little bit.  To give some sense of scale about the changes, JJ Blair did a set of recordings with several different designs of pop screens (and one without a pop screen); I decided based on what I heard from those recordings that I would never use a pop screen again unless I was absolutely forced to.  Within that context, I would prefer not to use the Reflexion Filter if I didn't have to, but if I was hearing too much of a room that I didn't like, I would accept the changes to the sound and use the Filter; this is not how I currently feel about pop filters, which I would try nearly anything to avoid (at least until I abandon that idea as an unworkable option).  

The Reflexion Filter seems to color more if you are close in (6 inches) than it does if you are further away (16 inches).  I feel like my speaking voice (baritone) has a tendency to 'load up' the filter a bit as I get closer.  And there is a 'freedom' to the sound without it, although I don't feel that it sounds small or closed in when using it, just a little bit different in the low mids and bottom.  I also tend to think that singers would benefit from having broadband absorption 2-4 feet behind them when using it (the wall behind me was mostly live in my test yesterday).  

If you are interested, you can download my [speaking] files at this link and decide for yourself:

http://files.me.com/michaelaarvold/9rdvl2

Signal chain: Pearlman 250 (Tim Campbell CT12 capsule), EAR Mic Amp, Meitner Convertor, mic was placed just outside the plane of the front of the Filter.  And I'm yelling a bit because singers would sing louder than than speech.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Barry Hufker

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »

This may sound stupid, but may I suggest putting the microphone on the "wrong" side of the filter?  It's my thought the filter might still direct room reflections away from the mic while any bounce of the reflector from the performer would be angled away from the mic.

Barry

Mike P

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »

PaulyD wrote on Sat, 14 November 2009 09:41

An alternative to the SE Reflexion filter you may want to consider is the RealTraps Portable Vocal Booth: http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm

I've never tried one, but it sure looks like it would get the job done.

Paul

I bought a PVB a few weeks ago and briefly tracked vocals with it.

They were without a doubt, the best sounding vocals I've ever recorded.

NO room.  No reflections.  Nothing except the sound of the singer's voice.

I'm extremely impressed.

rankus

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 03:30:30 PM »

I bought some 1 1/2" PVC pipe and fittings from home depot and built a frame that breaks down for storage... Hang some packing blankets on it and voila! Portable Vocal booth that sounds amazing at a fraction of the cost of any of the above  Rolling Eyes  

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

plughead

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 09:12:41 AM »

Interesting to read an evaluation of this unit - I'm thinking of getting one or more for this, and possible gobo usage.

thx!!!

N. Jay Burr
PlugHead Productions

GerhardS

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 04:30:42 PM »

Funny World of Reflection Filter:

Some thougts from Grammy Winner Eberhard Sengpiel:

• GRAMMY 2002 for "Best Instrumental Soloist Recording"
• GRAMMY 2003 for "Best Opera Recording

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/LiveEndDeadEndUndDasReflexionFi lter.pdf

It's in German but I translate some keywords:
Schallquelle=Source of Sound
Empfaenger=Receiver
Wiedergabe=Playback
Aufnahme=Recording

Die erzeugten fr

J.J. Blair

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 05:43:51 PM »

So, does this mean he didn't like it?  I'm confused.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

route-electrique

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 12:28:34 AM »

Using pair of basstraps, aligned to desired angle will give you much better results than SERF.
♫"Learn everything you can, then forget it all and play." ♫

GerhardS

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 06:50:38 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 14 January 2010 17:43

So, does this mean he didn't like it?  I'm confused.

You got it  Smile  Smile  Smile

You better invest that money into the acoustic treatment of your room.

If you still believe that you need someting like this filter: a pillow would do absolutely the same job. You would not hear a difference

compasspnt

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 09:02:32 AM »

So I have been wasting my time sleeping on the SE Reflexion Filter?

Hank Alrich

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2010, 11:48:29 AM »

Do you awaken with comb filtered hair?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.