R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SOFFIT ATC 110  (Read 7455 times)

Thomas Jouanjean

Re: SOFFIT ATC 110
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 12:07:28 PM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Sun, 25 October 2009 09:13

Thomas,

Two things. First, it's easy to demonstrate this affect by simply tilting you're head down. HF goes up, for me at least.

Absolutely, but it's always nice to substantiate a bit Smile - and also put some indicators on what happens and why. This subject is in fact a very complex one.

I feel that when Mixing or Mastering, engineers need to have a faithful representation of the sound stage. Depth, width... Which obvioulsy contain Azimut and Elevation informations. Therefore in your work environment, you need to make sure the conditions are such that you send the right, accurate cues to your brain. When the conditions above are not met, and it's just my opinion, then the information is distorted - when it doesn't have to be.

May seem crazy to some, but I really give all this a great deal of importance.

Second, I use PMC MB1 XBD floor standing monitors. For proper time alignment (which is easy to verify with pink noise and a bit of head bobbing), PMC specifies that the mid driver be at a 10 degree angle up from the listeners ears. At first I found this a bit strange as the image is slightly elevated, but now I find it completely normal. Imaging is outstanding.

What are your thoughts on their approach? Have you every used either the MB1/2 or BB5 in an installation?

Thanks,
GR

I have indeed worked with some PMC speakers MB1 and MB2 - never the BB5. I have both times noticed and heard this problem, which I thought was not acceptable. This is not something I would get used to. IIRC they ask this because the speakers aren't time aligned...

I'm not saying PMCs are bad speakers, but there are a few things in PMC's philsophy that I disagree with and that's one of them.

Take care!
Thomas Jouanjean
Northward Acoustics - Engineering and Designs
http://www.northwardacoustics.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northward-Acoustics/1062876633 71

Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Loudspeakers
FOCAL Professional Speakers

livingstone

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 12:55:30 PM »

Thomas,
Second, I use PMC MB1 XBD floor standing monitors. For proper time alignment (which is easy to verify with pink noise and a bit of head bobbing), PMC specifies that the mid driver be at a 10 degree angle up from the listeners ears. At first I found this a bit strange as the image is slightly elevated, but now I find it completely normal. Imaging is outstanding.

What are your thoughts on their approach? Have you every used either the MB1/2 or BB5 in an installation?

Thanks,

GR

Hi Greg,

i own a pair of IB2s wich share the same kind of design about time alignement, i built some customs stands to have them exactly at the right height.
true, this way the image is outstanding, but i had some time to be used to it, looking a bit up when turning the knobs to have a true representation of highs (wich is not always easy).
it's like being down the stage just in front of it, it works for some music, but not always.

i had several clients who had a very strange feel about it and i can understand.

i'll change them partly because of this for a pair of Klinger Favre studio 15 (http://klinger-favre-english.blogspot.com/) with 2 velodynes in a month
these speakers are more natural sounding, i think the disposition of apolito is part of it.
i never listened a such soundstage than with these ones.
frederic alstadt
www.angstrom-mastering.com

__________no time_______no sound_________

Greg Reierson

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 06:50:46 PM »

Thomas Jouanjean wrote on Sun, 25 October 2009 11:07

IIRC they ask this because the speakers aren't time aligned..

Actually, they are time aligned to accommodate their floor standing design. The positioning instructions are very specific.

GR

livingstone

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 09:46:30 AM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Sun, 25 October 2009 17:50

Thomas Jouanjean wrote on Sun, 25 October 2009 11:07

IIRC they ask this because the speakers aren't time aligned..

Actually, they are time aligned to accommodate their floor standing design. The positioning instructions are very specific.

GR

by themselves, they're not time aligned and neither specificaly for their stands,

following PMC instructions to have the mid at 10
frederic alstadt
www.angstrom-mastering.com

__________no time_______no sound_________

Greg Reierson

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 10:33:21 AM »

livingstone wrote on Mon, 26 October 2009 08:46

the position of the drivers has been calculated to be aligned only when the mids are positioned at 10
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up