R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: No DDP via FTP... WTF?  (Read 13717 times)

Waltz Mastering

Re: No DDP via FTP... WTF?
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2010, 03:21:36 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 14:03

I used to have no problem with clients going to DM, but now I'm rethinking it.

When I deal with DM, I sometimes go through/notify the local DM project manager to make sure things go smooth.  I'm sure they'll make good on it.  They seem to go the extra mile for the client sometimes.  I hope everything gets sorted out.

blip

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2010, 08:41:58 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 13:03

So I uploaded an emergency (rush job) DDP for a client to the Discmakers server over a week ago, just got an email from the client saying "they can't find it", so I logged back in to upload another copy and it's right there in the list of files already uploaded...

Like I mentioned in my email Brad, one of the possibilities is that all of pages weren't clicked through. There are several pages, and the final page gives a "Your files have been successfully uploaded" message. That is when we are officially notified that the upload is complete and we need to retrieve files, though the files are actually uploaded to the server on the second page. (this actually allows a client to upload files at different times, and not "finalize" the process until they have everything uploaded)

We ran into this once or twice already, and have added the "subway stops" along the top of the screen to help guide people along to the end. We're likely going to add some additional verbiage that is more clear and indicates that ALL steps must be completed in order for the upload to be considered "finished".

Like Greg said, we are making progress. We've already taken dozens of DDPs through the upload site, and for the most part the Beta stage has been fairly smooth sailing, and while still not officially "live" to the general public, at this point all of the sales folks have been given the green light to accept/offer uploads, with an emphasis on DDP masters.

I look forward to continuing to refine the process and making it as reliable as possible for all of you.

Now, if we can stop clients from uploading MP3s........

Garrett H

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2010, 08:57:47 PM »

So, this past week DM rolled out an upload page that allows you to upload DDPs.

However, you must wait for the upload to completely succeed. THEN, you must fill out the next page or the DM Project Manager won't know about the DDP or won't be able to access it.

I hope there is someway to change that required step as its not conducive to the production life cycle.  

Otherwise, I'm very happy that they're finally allowing DDP uploads. In the past 5 weeks I have had to go around with 5 different sales people who all said "I've been here for 10 years and we've never allowed an upload of a master. . . "

Of course, they assumed I meant uploading MP3s (despite using DDP in my emails).  And to defend them, you all know people constantly ask if the can 'email their CD out of iTunes and just have DM make it....'  
Treelady Studios, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.treelady.com
Senior Contributor, Tape Op Magazine
http://www.tapeop.com

blip

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2010, 10:52:56 PM »

Garrett H wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 19:57

So, this past week DM rolled out an upload page that allows you to upload DDPs.

However, you must wait for the upload to completely succeed. THEN, you must fill out the next page or the DM Project Manager won't know about the DDP or won't be able to access it.

I hope there is someway to change that required step as its not conducive to the production life cycle.    

Garrett, glad you were able to upload your DDP files for Jordan's project recently, looks like all went well.

I'm all for making things simpler, but I don't think it's unreasonable to have to click through a few pages and provide some info to ensure that we can track your uploads properly.

For DDPs it's really pretty simple. The clients info on the first page(have to have this obviously), pick your DDP files/upload them on the second page, album name and artist name on the third page(helps with tracking), and a brief review of what files and info is being sent.

Maybe we can ask for the Artist/Album name on the upload page and save a step/page, and some may feel the final "confirmation" page is redundant, but it doesn't hurt to check one last time that you've uploaded the correct file, version, etc.

Being in the Beta stage still we will tweak things as necessary, so feel free to email feedback or comments if you've uploaded through the site.

bblackwood

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2010, 11:28:29 PM »

A basic FTP server with assigned folder names would be ideal - that's what most every other place does and it's easy like pie.

That being said, simply allowing DDPi upload is a huge step forward, so no complaints.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Greg Reierson

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2010, 08:49:11 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 22:28

A basic FTP server with assigned folder names would be ideal - that's what most every other place does and it's easy like pie.

I actually prefer the 'drop box' approach of the DM upload page, but they need to eliminate that last confirmation page and put those questions on the same page as the file selection. Then we could select the file to upload and walk away.

Nobody wants to wait for the upload to finish before entering more info. We're well into the next project by then.

GR

Peter Beckmann

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2010, 05:00:43 PM »

Greg Reierson wrote on Wed, 03 March 2010 13:49

Nobody wants to wait for the upload to finish before entering more info. We're well into the next project by then.

GR

Exactly.

Especially if failing to fill in a form means you have to start the upload all over again....

Make the form filling come first, confirm and then upload the DDP [zipped or RARed for integrity ]

Switch brain back to listening mode

Peter
Peter Beckmann
Technologyworks
http://www.technologyworks.co.uk

blip

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 05:49:30 PM »

We'll be making some tweaks to the upload process for DDP masters based on your feedback. What we'll be shooting for is that any info we require will be entered prior to you initiating the upload. Successful completion of the upload will trigger everything on our end. There will be no need for any further confirmations or action on your part after you hit "upload files".

I don't have an ETA currently for when these updates will go live, within 1-2 weeks is realistic though.

TotalSonic

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2010, 05:52:31 PM »

blip wrote on Thu, 04 March 2010 17:49

We'll be making some tweaks to the upload process for DDP masters based on your feedback. What we'll be shooting for is that any info we require will be entered prior to you initiating the upload. Successful completion of the upload will trigger everything on our end. There will be no need for any further confirmations or action on your part after you hit "upload files".

I don't have an ETA currently for when these updates will go live, within 1-2 weeks is realistic though.

Good stuff!  Count me as one person who has clients regularly send replication orders to you who also appreciates being able to enter any required info, hit "upload" and then walk away.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.