R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha M512 Question.  (Read 9823 times)

,,deda,, Tim Porter

Yamaha M512 Question.
« on: October 12, 2009, 02:22:29 AM »

I found a Yamaha M512 cheap and I am under the impression it does have the same  transformer in/out and discrete mic pres and output amps as the PM2000 and some  other older Yamaha boards. My impression was hard to come by there's no M512 poop out there to search but was able to find a little.

It is stated to be in good shape and the picture I have of it looks fine for 30 years old.
I really want to just have the 12 mic pres to use and don't need it to mix or it's eq's but if I can get 12 good discrete mic pres for $20.00 apiece I'm not about to pass on that.

If anyone has any opinion or experience with this board please advise, regards ,,deda,,

index.php/fa/13526/0/
http://i33.tinypic.com/2yltiyo.jpg

"Practice does not make Perfect, Perfect Practice makes Perfect" Vince Lombardi

Galil

Re: Yamaha M512 Question.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 04:38:18 PM »

This is not the solution to getting 12 individual microphone preamps, because as the unit is delivered, there is no (stock) way to get the individual channel's signal out of the console.  Everything goes to the mix buss. Even if you were to tap the signal in the console to bring it out to individual channels, the nominal operating level in the console is between -10 and -20 dbv, which would have to be amplified (and probably balanced) to drive most +4 recording equipment. To modify it would probably cost enough to cause you to consider buying (two or more) good microphone preamps. I don't have a schematic on this unit (listed by Yamaha as being current in 1980), but I suspect that it might actually use early 1980s op-amps and not be discrete transistors.

Here is the user manual for this unit in pdf from Yamaha:
http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/mixers/M512E. pdf

If you want it to be a PA mixer and you don't mind the channel limitations, you might like the sound better than some current transformerless mixers.  I have a similar Yamaha mixer from this era and also think that you might also find it a bit noisy for digital studio recording. This is not equal to Neve, Trident, Helios or other pro-audio equipment from the 1960s to the 70s. In stock condition, it is not even as good as a PM-1000.

Galil

,,deda,, Tim Porter

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:07:37 PM »

Thanks Galil for your very detailed description of what I would be actually dealing with on this board and it's limitations, everything.

You have saved me a 3 hour round trip and $240.00 so thank you very much and also  for posting quickly. I was to meet and see the board tomorrow so now I can give him plenty of notice that I will be passing on it.

I love this forum in the last 2 weeks I've had a dozen issues from mics needing repair to this board and you guys were 100% in your fixes and answers such as this one.

Thanks again Galil, regards ,,deda,,

Barkley McKay

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 09:47:47 AM »

Be very careful when reading the literature.

I bought an early eighties Yamaha RM-804 off Ebay as it stated on the manual that it had transformer isolated inputs.

When it arrived, it was a standard opamp, albeit good sounding mic amp affair, especially with ribbons.
It did have direct outs though, which makes it very useful as a character piece... Rolling Eyes

When I asked Yamaha about the statement in the manual and literature, they acknowledged a translation error, as it should have read transformerless, not isolated.

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/364354/7015/?sr ch=rm804#msg_364354

cheers

Barks

Galil

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 10:57:27 AM »

Barkley makes a good point about the literature not always being correct.

I saw the picture of the Yamaha M512, and it looked a great deal like an EM300 (12 channel powered mixer of the same vintage) which we use once a week to mix a live event to a MP3 stream.  From our mixer, I suspected that the other one might not have direct outs, which mine does not.  The EM300 is a transformer / IC topology which I verified by pulling it apart.

Originally I put the EM300 up only because we were starting and it was what we had. After a few weeks I offered to our engineer to buy a soundcraft or mackie to replace it.  He liked the "character" so much on the EM300 that he would not allow it the be replaced so it is still doing service in that spot.

I'm certain that if we had a budget for a fully professional console, I'd be allowed to replace the EM300.  That is not going to happen soon.

FWIW

Galil

,,deda,, Tim Porter

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 04:19:19 PM »

Thanks for your input Galil I passed on the console and from your later posts it was a good decision. All I wanted to use were the pre's if they were like some of the Yamaha's of that era and was advertised to have the same discrete make up in those that do have it, WRONG, deal off and quick.

Thanks again and also thanks to Barkley for his great piece of information. If Yamaha was trying to "Me To" with the discrete greats of the era they could have started with good intentions and made some good discrete pre's in the 1st couple of offering's in their PM series and they are well liked, the reason I wanted 12 of them. Problem that Yamaha I bet found out quick was they were making low margins selling low in to the Neve, API, etc., etc., etc. market.

Retiring from a corporation heavy in marketing and all that implies I can see them recommending the manuel miss print on purpose to sell these small footprint boards and getting a premium. The guy with the M512 may have a manuel with similar miss information.

PSW's a great place to get hard answer's answered, a wonderful place, AND you get constant participation, persistence if a issue requires it, "World Class Advice" from some of "Recording Histories" icon's in Klaus, Oliver, Fletcher and some other's that are unknown to me and a lot of people not as well known to the recording World as Esa and his AKG D series genius.

I'm a member of other forums and all have merit but I'm 10 for 10 in a month here on PSW for real needs, 100%, it doesn't get any better than that.

Thanks to all again, regards ,,deda,,

Galil

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 10:03:09 AM »

Confirming what you think:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/60797/0/?srch=Y amaha+guitar+amp#msg_60797

Galil

synthetic

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 10:35:51 PM »

I used one of those boards all through college. It was nothing special. We replaced it with a Mackie 1604 and it was a nice upgrade.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 16 queries.