R/E/P > Klaus Heyne's Mic Lab

Vintage Mic Value Registry: Good Idea?

<< < (2/9) > >>

Barry Hufker:
That's what I mean.  Do you really want to spend time making sure everyone has provided the proper information in the proper way and has provided sufficient documentation of purchase price?  Boy if I were you I could think of a million better ways to spend my time...

Barry

J.J. Blair:
Klaus, I think this is a great idea.  

I suggest that it would be better for you to list these things, because there's no way for us to do it anonymously.  I don't necessarily want people to know that perhaps I overpaid on one mic, or that perhaps I got a steal on another, even though I think those sales are good to have in the database.  If we could supply you with the verifiable info, and you make the post, I think people would be more forthcoming with the information.  

Bottom line, there's going to be no easy way to do this, and unless you have a co-moderator on that, it's going to be a lot of work.  

Excuse me for thinking out loud here, but one way you could do a co-moderator, would be to do it as a separate forum, with a single topic, and you and somebody else have mod privileges, and can help with the work load.  I'm already a mod on PSW, and would be willing to help run the database.  

So, whoever the mod is could do a post with a pic of the mic, serial number, condition, sale price, geographic location of seller, and then list if it's a private sale, from a dealer, or an eBay sale.  

Also, if there's a trusted source, like David knowing about that U47 that he inspected, and he can verify that the final price was $X, that should be able to be reported.

There will be plenty of pitfalls, but I think it could be done.

John Monforte:
I would find more useful a registry of mics and serial numbers that can identify owners of mics. That way if one gets stolen and put into the marketplace, a potential buyer could identify it and verify its provenance.

Gotham Audio used to do this for the Neumanns it sold. It helped many owners get their mics back.

I will admit that any such registry would be only as good as the degree of its accuracy and completeness. Also, there would be a need for a seller to verify personal identity and record the transfer. Problems for sure, but not insurmountable.

It would be fun to trace back the ownership of a mic and see its history.

Does anyone know of any examples of similar registries? Surely there must be something in other areas such as musical instruments, art, jewlery or something like that.

Mike O:
J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 08 October 2009 23:48
Klaus, I think this is a great idea.  

I suggest that it would be better for you to list these things, because there's no way for us to do it anonymously.  I don't necessarily want people to know that perhaps I overpaid on one mic, or that perhaps I got a steal on another, even though I think those sales are good to have in the database.  If we could supply you with the verifiable info, and you make the post, I think people would be more forthcoming with the information.  

Bottom line, there's going to be no easy way to do this, and unless you have a co-moderator on that, it's going to be a lot of work.  

Excuse me for thinking out loud here, but one way you could do a co-moderator, would be to do it as a separate forum, with a single topic, and you and somebody else have mod privileges, and can help with the work load.  I'm already a mod on PSW, and would be willing to help run the database.  

So, whoever the mod is could do a post with a pic of the mic, serial number, condition, sale price, geographic location of seller, and then list if it's a private sale, from a dealer, or an eBay sale.  

Also, if there's a trusted source, like David knowing about that U47 that he inspected, and he can verify that the final price was $X, that should be able to be reported.

There will be plenty of pitfalls, but I think it could be done.

Also thinking out loud here....

It would seem that your (I believe sincere and generous) proposal to help Klaus mod would give you access to the very information that you do not want others to know about your purchases. Judging by your posts you are a pretty active trader and therefore your participation as mod would probably not encourage people to register.

Just a thought.....

J.J. Blair:
Nope.  Not an active trader.  Is there even such a thing as a mic trader?  I'm a collector.  Trading would imply that I buy and sell, which I don't do.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version