R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How did RCA record Artur Rubinstein in 1948?  (Read 6722 times)

jwhynot

Re: How did RCA record Artur Rubinstein in 1948?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 07:23:26 PM »

Sure looks like a KU3A to me.

JW

Edit: The shot later on is more 44-ish.
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

compasspnt

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 07:48:39 PM »

I would bet 44.

feedback loop

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 10:46:11 PM »

PRobb wrote on Wed, 07 October 2009 13:43

the Ampex 200 was introduced in 1948, so RCA having tape was right on the cutting edge of technology.

Wire recording technology was also in use in 1948 although I'm not sure how much use it received in Hollywood.

PRobb

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 11:09:04 PM »

Fred Baugher wrote on Wed, 07 October 2009 22:46

PRobb wrote on Wed, 07 October 2009 13:43

the Ampex 200 was introduced in 1948, so RCA having tape was right on the cutting edge of technology.

Wire recording technology was also in use in 1948 although I'm not sure how much use it received in Hollywood.

Nowhere near hi-fi enough for broadcast.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

RMoore

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 02:52:47 AM »

The desk looks amazin'
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

Todd Loomis

• Real Full Name: Todd Loomis
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 11:59:47 PM »

Rubinstein's recordings of Chopin's Nocturnes are some of my favorite piano recordings of all time.  The ones I have though are from the mid 60s.  I tried recording my piano at my home a long time ago hoping to get that sound - NOT...  His touch was so amazing...  and the sound so beautiful.  Check this one out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAcAWWU_0mE - that's the one I tried to record myself doing way back when.  His sounded much better - hehe.

According to the liner notes in my Rubinstein Nocturnes collection, the original recording was done to 3-track 30-i.p.s. tape.  Playback was through a solid state 3-track tape machine, but they left out the center channel and only used 2 tracks on the disc.  The booklet says "an equalization curve was devised to flatten the bass dip, mid-range and high-end peaks of the microphones used for these recordings, thus giving the sound of a flat microphone response."  There is no information though about the specific microphones that were used, or how/where they were positioned, etc.

My set is a 2 disc set - recorded at RCA Italiana Studios, Rome, August 30 and 31, September 1 and 2, 1965.  Recording Engineer: Sergio Marcotulli.

3rd 4thT

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 11:10:05 AM »

Todd Loomis wrote on Sun, 11

According to the liner notes in my Rubinstein Nocturnes collection, the original recording was done to 3-track 30-i.p.s. tape.  Playback was through a solid state 3-track tape machine, but they left out the center channel and only used 2 tracks on the disc.  The booklet says "an equalization curve was devised to flatten the bass dip, mid-range and high-end peaks of the microphones used for these recordings, thus giving the sound of a flat microphone response."  There is no information though about the specific microphones that were used, or how/where they were positioned, etc.

My set is a 2 disc set - recorded at RCA Italiana Studios, Rome, August 30 and 31, September 1 and 2, 1965.  Recording Engineer: Sergio Marcotulli.

I'm afraid that info is lost to history. Even the studios were left to rot and were ultimately demolished - not enough soundtrack work to keep them going.

3rd&4thT

MDM,

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 11:11:43 AM »

One of the things I noticed is the sound of the piano.

in those days the hammers had different felt and could play darker without sounding thuddy
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.