R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bleed...  (Read 1259 times)

Bo

Bleed...
« on: July 14, 2004, 12:11:16 PM »

I've decided to ask this of several forums...

your opinions on bleed?

I just tracked a singer/songwriter in my ghetto-fabulous home studio (yeah, I'm an amateur) and he likes to play & sing at the same time. So, I threw up 3 mics: one ldc for vocals, one sdc on the acoustic, and a dynamic up in the corner (w/ the phase reversed).
Yeah, it bleeds all over the place, but we were going for a live performance type of feel, ala pedro the lion or iron & wine. Does this annoy you in mixing; or in the right situation, do you embrace it? I just started mixing last night and find both good and bad things...

what have you experienced in the world of bleed?
"knifing prostitots - one at a time"

Stavross

Re: Bleed...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 03:14:28 PM »

There's nothing wrong with a little bleed, or is some instances an awful lot of bleed. It all just depends on what kind of feel you're going for. Hell I've been known to record acoustic and vox on the same mic while drums are in the room.

The old adage always holds true, if it sounds good, it is good.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning". - Rich Cook

MedicineDog

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 12:52:25 PM »

In general, bleed is a good thing.  Makes for a less steril sounding record, IMNSHO.

Where you have to be careful with bleed is later on in the mixing process.  If you have a singer-songwriter who plays acoustic guitar and sings while tracking, the acoustic guitar bleed in the vocal channel can get real ugly, real fast, when you start adding compression and EQ.  When you add mastering compression and limiting to that, it can take a rougue track right over the edge.

So, while bleed is good - too much of a good thing can be bad.
-Aaron Anderson

"Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge" D. Henley

Han S.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 06:37:10 PM »

Funny, I think it's the other way around, vocal bleed into the guitar mic can be a PITA with a fairly loud singer.

A fig 8 mic on guitar with the side aimed at the singer's nose can help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 18 queries.