R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apogee AD-16X on Server 2003?  (Read 2798 times)

Skullsessions

Apogee AD-16X on Server 2003?
« on: October 05, 2009, 09:20:14 AM »

Is there ANYONE out there who has successfully been running the Apogee AD-16X or DA-16X on a PC with Server 2003 operating system?

Thanks...
James Hook
Houston, TX

rankus

Re: Apogee AD-16X on Server 2003?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:36:14 PM »

James, the AD-16X or DA-16X's are just converters... you will need an interface to get em into the PC..

After a VERY painful, (and expensive) experience with Apogee's Firewire interface I am now running RME's AES Card as an interface for my AD-16X / DA-16X's

As for whether the RME interface will run stable on Win03 server I dunno... I'm running WinXP with Service Pack 3 and it is 100% solid.

Hope this helps.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

amorris

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 10:38:29 AM »

my server guy said that he sees no reason protools wouldnt run on a server platform other than getting the cards in the server box. and running server 2003 software on a desktop can happen, hence putting the cards in a workstation running serv2003. but all the services running in the server software would only hinder performance, rather than help anything.

we have done some "unusual" testing over here but mostly with osx.

brett

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:01:40 PM »

Skullsessions wrote on Mon, 05 October 2009 14:20

Is there ANYONE out there who has successfully been running the Apogee AD-16X or DA-16X on a PC with Server 2003 operating system?

Thanks...

1. firewire is ASIO for XP only.  
2. symphony is mac only
3. PT is going to be hit and miss. If it isn't supported on the Digi website would not reccomend it. If the protools systemw is already working then using apogee front end won't be any different than using a digi interface.

Skullsessions

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 12:56:04 PM »

rankus wrote on Mon, 05 October 2009 21:36

James, the AD-16X or DA-16X's are just converters... you will need an interface to get em into the PC..

After a VERY painful, (and expensive) experience with Apogee's Firewire interface I am now running RME's AES Card as an interface for my AD-16X / DA-16X's

As for whether the RME interface will run stable on Win03 server I dunno... I'm running WinXP with Service Pack 3 and it is 100% solid.

Hope this helps.

You're right, Rankus...I meant with the Apogee firewire interface.

The short part of the long story is that my PC hardware is only spec'd for Server 2003 or (now) Server 2008.  I couldn't even get it to boot with regular XP back when I built it.  XP64 would boot, but was very unstable. Server 2003 got it up and screaming.

MANY things that are certified for XP happen to work with Server 2003 - apparently based on the same code.  SOME things will not.  Was just checking to see if anyone had any real-world experience with Server 2003 with some of these higher end cards.

I'm ready to move on from MOTU.
James Hook
Houston, TX

brett

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 02:19:18 AM »

Skullsessions wrote on Tue, 13 October 2009 17:56

rankus wrote on Mon, 05 October 2009 21:36

Hope this helps.

You're right, Rankus...I meant with the Apogee firewire interface.

The short part of the long story is that my PC hardware is only spec'd for Server 2003 or (now) Server 2008.  I couldn't even get it to boot with regular XP back when I built it.  XP64 would boot, but was very unstable. Server 2003 got it up and screaming.

MANY things that are certified for XP happen to work with Server 2003 - apparently based on the same code.  SOME things will not.  Was just checking to see if anyone had any real-world experience with Server 2003 with some of these higher end cards.

I'm ready to move on from MOTU.

would not spend the money to find out it doens't work. The web site for Apogee says XP. Call them and ask for tech support. They are very straightforward about compatability issues. A while bakc they told me not to use fire wire on OS X 4 as thier stuff used the Apple firewire drivers and they sucked. So, I think if it won't work they will tell you.

Skullsessions

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 07:00:39 AM »

I did call them.  Sort of got a standard non-answer.

"We've never tested on Server 2003."

I realize this is a very odd pairing of OS and hardware, which is why I'm searching on the off chance than anyone else is equally crazy and has been down this path.

The worst part is that these cards are non-returnable.  Can't even find a demo without first having the card.  Sigh...
James Hook
Houston, TX

rankus

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 01:40:17 AM »

trust me, avoid apogee x-FireWire at all costs... After a year of putzing around one of their tech folks leveled with me that they had never managed to settup a stable machine ... They blamed the OS but upon pushing them they admitted their system is just plain flaky.... Not only that but they had no plans to test or update to service pack 3..... I can't believe they continue to sell the HW knowing it's flaky..... It was apogee techs that turned me onto the RME AES card as a reliable interface... I can't really say any more in case my source at apogee loses their job
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Skullsessions

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 08:17:55 AM »

Thanks for the head's up.
James Hook
Houston, TX

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 19 queries.