R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Treating a small to medium sized live room.  (Read 1893 times)

Chris Griffith

Treating a small to medium sized live room.
« on: October 04, 2009, 12:16:21 PM »

I've been slowly building my studio and am getting very pleased with my control room but the sound of my tracking room leaves a lot to be desired.

The room is 15'x25 with slightly under 12' ceilings.  It is a perfect rectangle.  It was treated before but had way too much deep bass trapping so the room was lifeless.  I've taken everything out to start from scratch.  

What type of sound should I be shooting for in a room this size?  I'd like to keep as much life as possible while still having a 'clean' tone to it.  I will be building a second room for anything that needs a tight and dry sound.  95% of the time the room will be used for rock drums.

Should I frame in new angled walls and use my current room as a soundproofed shell or just treat what I have with absorption and diffusion?  

Is it possible to get useable reverb from a space this size?

Steve Hudson

Re: Treating a small to medium sized live room.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 12:56:16 PM »

FWIW those dimensions are very close to ours and with minimal absorption on the walls (we have a modular panel system so you can add/remove panels to modify the liveness of the room) there is plenty of reverb. We do have a good deal of diffusion on the back wall which helps.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.