R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Poly question  (Read 2191 times)

mjgreeneaudio

Another Poly question
« on: October 02, 2009, 02:04:53 AM »

I am pondering the idea of taking one wall that is 22 feet by 12 feet tall and building a row of poly's on that wall.  Can someone tell me what the positive and negative effects would be if I were to butt them end to end in a row along the wall?  Am I going to gain anything or lose anything by doing this?  Are there any lobe issues to be worried about?  Should I space them apart?  In the room I use right now I mounted 3 of them with about 2.5 feet between them and in that space put some absorbing material.  I have always loved the look of polys and I seem to remember seeing pictures  of the old RCA where they were right next to each other, along with "the master handbook of acoustics".  

Thanks in advance for your help.  I always learn a lot from the pro's here.

Michael Greene

maarvold

Re: Another Poly question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 02:14:28 PM »

A friend of mine, 82 years old and the best engineer I know, has always told me, "Polycylindricals scatter too much" and, since he told me that I have noticed that I've never used a room treated with poly's that I thought sounded really great, but I've been in many rooms that didn't use poly's (Capitol, Paramount Stage M, Sony Scoring Stage) that I thought sounded really great.  I do seem to remember that RCA (which many people would probably say did sound great) used horizontally-oriented poly's, and I wondered if that might be a better-sounding way to use them.  
Michael Aarvold
Audio Engineer

Thomas Jouanjean

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 01:43:02 PM »

Polys work and are cheaper to build, but it's just like the rest, don't overdo it.
Thomas Jouanjean
Northward Acoustics - Engineering and Designs
http://www.northwardacoustics.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northward-Acoustics/1062876633 71

Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Loudspeakers
FOCAL Professional Speakers

mjgreeneaudio

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 12:41:42 AM »

Thanks guys.  I will do it sparingly.  

MIchael Greene

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.