R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: soundeluxe  (Read 6254 times)

j.hall

soundeluxe
« on: September 29, 2009, 02:26:29 PM »

anyone know what happened to them.  looks like the founding guy is doing his own thing.

fill me in.

Ryan Slowey

Re: soundeluxe
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 03:43:35 PM »

http://bockaudio.com/

He's still making 3 of the mics from the Soundeluxe line, plus a new one.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

My music: http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

compasspnt

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »

David was THE microphone guy in Soundelux.

When the partners terminated the company, he started his own as mentioned above.

The microphones he makes are top quality, first class, every bit as much as the SD ones were.

Recommended.

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 04:07:13 PM »

What Terry said.

Also Word is that his new mic is great-  as soon as I get back to LA I want to try it-  

Bock Audio Is the real deal.  I loved the ones I have used-

It is very similar to a C12/251  But Slightly Less hyped or distorted on the top end making it better for cymbals etc.  and every bit as sweet-

And the cardioid pattern has a different proximity which is useful to keep the weight of the sound in tact while offering more distance as a valid option  that is not the same by "adding eq"  to a standeard classic---  However  which can perfectly resemble the closeness of a standard with a slight Low roll off-   The joke is you won't do that anyway  as It behaves so well when you find the proper distance  it just works-  Take this into account when comparing thing-  That all things being equal  distance is not one of them..

Even if you own the Classics  the Bock is a welcome addition-

Post back if you check one out  ti would be fun to hear about-  As I know these mics are highly regarded  I think they are under sung considering how they compare to other "New" attempts..

Good Luck!

-j

j.hall

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 10:56:38 AM »

i fell in love with a pair of U-95's i used at a studio back in KC.  i used them ALL THE TIME.

i've been searching for a pair ever since.  kinda hoping to find that.

or is he currently making something very similar?

fishtank

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 10:07:32 AM »

I don't believe so.  They do still make the 195 - a fantastic mic as well.

j.hall

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 01:23:09 PM »

what's different about the 195.  i know they updated the 95 to something else.

el duderino

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 02:13:19 AM »

What I've heard and read is that the 195 is the same as U195. I have the bock 195, but I've never used the soundelux fwiw.

That said, i use the 195 on a lot of things. It's awesome on guitars by itself but with another mic and the use of the fat switch you can get some wonderful chunky guitar tones.

it's also great on drums, so much so that i need to get another one or two. Its been good to me on vocals as well, I had been using an SM7 much more often.

i don't have a huge mic collection but out of what i do have, that is the mic i can put up and use on the majority of overdubs whether in conjunction with another mic or not.

as for the 95, i think that the 99 was sold as the "improved" 95.

i also found this a while ago:

"The capsule in the U95 was made by 797 Audio in China; it was a dual-membrane, large-diaphragm design made with a gold-coated Mylar membrane measuring 6 microns in thickness. A single-diaphragm version of this capsule can be found in the U195 (which was a cardioid-only microphone).

There has been some confusion about the origin of the rest of the U95 microphone. David Bock, the designer of the Soundelux mics, addressed this in March, 2005:

David Bock

[T]he first hundred of each original U95 and U195 were built entirely in China and then entirely rebuilt here due to poor quality there… After that only mic bodies and capsules were made there."
http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Soundelux/U95

j.hall

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 01:26:32 PM »

so if i understand that.  the 195 is a 95 in cardioid.

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 02:18:20 PM »

The U 95 Soundelux was a tube multi-pattern condenser.

The Soundelux and Bock 195's are fet cardiod microphones.

j.hall

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 02:26:49 PM »

i guess i'll just continue to keep an eye out for what i really want.

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 11:12:06 PM »

Sorry to promote hearsay-  But fwiw  I have not heard anything bad ABOUT the new 195's  people say that they are great-allthough I have never heard one-

If you specifically want an older one--  I would keep an eye on ebay  and contact Bock Audio  Maybe they show up?  who knows.

FWIW the current offering is pretty compelling  and in addition---again I not heard this one --  But id the U99 is an "improved version"  it might be worthwhile to find out what David did to make it better as if he feels that way  you are likely to find it as intended-

Good Luck, John!

j

ps-   http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313& amp;_nkw=soundelux&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Has that "99" one  I wonder if that is close to what you had used..  

Fibes

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 11:39:47 AM »

J.

As you know i'm a U95 fan. They made the U99 as the replacement of the U95 and IMO although the mic handled more SPL it didn't have the magic the original U95 had. IME the U99 was brighter and less creamy for lack of a better explanation.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

NelsonL

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 01:43:04 PM »

I love the iFet7-- I thought there was going to be a Bock equivalent, but I don't see it on the site.

compasspnt

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 03:56:41 PM »

Fibes wrote on Mon, 05 October 2009 11:39

J.

As you know i'm a U95 fan. They made the U99 as the replacement of the U95 and IMO although the mic handled more SPL it didn't have the magic the original U95 had. IME the U99 was brighter and less creamy for lack of a better explanation.

Completely different capsules, for a start...both mics are very nice, but are not "the same." Nor were they intended to be, I assume...

Rob Darling

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 01:59:55 AM »

I've owned a lot of Soundelux mics over the years.  Good stuff, and Dave is a great guy.  

The Soundelux name did not go with him in the divorce with the original partners (Soundelux studios in LA), but there was nothing lost- he got all the inventory and equipment in the breakup.  Add his brains and heart, and you have the whole company.  

The 507 is a very, very cool mic that you should check out.  It has an elliptical capsule so it does not have the resonances in the midrange that make other larger diaphragms weird.  Killer vocal mic.

pete andrews

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 03:02:30 PM »

U195 in use all the time here.
just did some acoustic guits with one. also use it all the time in front of the kick.

-pete

Dan-O

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 08:56:57 PM »

2 U195's here. In use ALL the time. Great all-rounder. It's never a bad choice on anything. The fat switch making it even more versatile. There's one parked out front of the bass rig 77.3% of the time. Yes exactly 77.3%.

One of the best purchases I ever made.
Dan-O
Snake Oil Recording
http://www.snakeoilrecording.com
Richmond, VA
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.