R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fluorescent lights in the studio  (Read 3573 times)

mjgreeneaudio

Fluorescent lights in the studio
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:36:53 PM »

I have always heard that Flourescent lights in the studio are a very bad idea.  I am about to move into a new space and what will be the main room currently has fluorescent lights all throughout the room.  I have no problem replacing them and if they are going to cause any problems what so ever I will do it in a heart beat.  I am looking for some feedback and suggestions.  It will take a day or rewiring and hanging but I can replace them easy.  

I have seen a few pictures here and there of studios with fluorescent's in them but just wanted to get other opinions.

Thanks,
Michael Greene

compasspnt

Re: Fluorescent lights in the studio
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 04:25:20 PM »

In my opinion at least, if nothing else, fluorescent light itself has traditionally been ugly and unsettling.

mjgreeneaudio

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 06:59:44 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 22 September 2009 14:25

In my opinion at least, if nothing else, fluorescent light itself has traditionally been ugly and unsettling.

Terry,
Thanks.  That is my opinion also.  Not what I would call inspiring unless it is a police station.  I looked it over today again and regardless of cost they are gone.  They look like hell and with my "master plan" a little more money spent now while there is a mess will be made up for by the finished look and beauty.

Thanks,
Michael Greene

KAyo

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 08:22:59 PM »

Just me 2cents..
they've also been used as a germ killers. Thus, their usage in Kitchen, Bathrooms and somebody mentioned Cop shops etc.

In the studio? Dunno.. I wouldn't. that's just me.

Cheers,
KAyo
http://www.Kantabiz.com
Business Video Directory

compasspnt

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 08:51:51 AM »

Well that shines a whole new light on things...lots of germs in studios...

PaulyD

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 12:00:41 AM »

One thing to be aware of is that the ballasts that control fluorescent lamps can produce large amounts of 60 Hz hum. They can also produce audible high frequency hum in the room itself. Although I'm sure there are sophisticated ways to measure 60 Hz hum on a power line, it should be fairly easy to determine if it's a problem in your studio just by setting up a typical mic setup you expect to use and recording "silence". Record a second pass with the fluorescent lights off and listen to both files with some good headphones on. That should tell you if it's a problem. Be sure to run this test on each breaker/circuit you might use to power your audio electronics. Naturally, you can determine if there is a high frequency hum issue in the room just by listening carefully in the room with the lights on and off.

If there is a problem, replacing the ballasts with newer, high quality units might solve the issue. You may be able to install filter circuits that help as well.

If the quality of the light gets on your nerves, as Terry mentioned, you can get full-spectrum replacement tubes with shielded caps on them that produce much more natural and pleasant light than standard fluorescent tubes. They're not cheap, but they're worth it.

EDIT: A measuring mic and an oscilloscope could be helpful to make sure there isn't a problem at very high frequencies in the room. Don't discount the effect this could have on your perception of sound in the room. Try to solve it if it exists.

Paul

mjgreeneaudio

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 02:08:31 AM »

PaulyD wrote on Mon, 14 December 2009 22:00

One thing to be aware of is that the ballasts that control fluorescent lamps can produce large amounts of 60 Hz hum. They can also produce audible high frequency hum in the room itself. Although I'm sure there are sophisticated ways to measure 60 Hz hum on a power line, it should be fairly easy to determine if it's a problem in your studio just by setting up a typical mic setup you expect to use and recording "silence". Record a second pass with the fluorescent lights off and listen to both files with some good headphones on. That should tell you if it's a problem. Be sure to run this test on each breaker/circuit you might use to power your audio electronics. Naturally, you can determine if there is a high frequency hum issue in the room just by listening carefully in the room with the lights on and off.

If there is a problem, replacing the ballasts with newer, high quality units might solve the issue. You may be able to install filter circuits that help as well.

If the quality of the light gets on your nerves, as Terry mentioned, you can get full-spectrum replacement tubes with shielded caps on them that produce much more natural and pleasant light than standard fluorescent tubes. They're not cheap, but they're worth it.

EDIT: A measuring mic and an oscilloscope could be helpful to make sure there isn't a problem at very high frequencies in the room. Don't discount the effect this could have on your perception of sound in the room. Try to solve it if it exists.

Paul

Paul,
Thanks for your reply.  I have taken out all of them and replaced them with regular lights.  Much nicer and better.  In the control room the 3 banks are all on different switches so instead of installing dimmers I can kill each zone independently.  The studio is done the same way.  That combined with nice lamps allows me to tailor the lighting to fit the mood.  It has made it very living room like, and the response has been very very positive.  The vibe I have been able to create has been very well received.  

Michael Greene

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 19 queries.