R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RODE NT5's-Thank-you Terry  (Read 13028 times)

eightyeightkeys

RODE NT5's-Thank-you Terry
« on: September 21, 2009, 07:09:56 PM »

I bought a pair of brand new NT5's at a very reasonable price based, in part, on Terry's article. The article where Terry finds himself in a studio down under without many of the traditional high end mic's that he was expecting, but, with a bevvy of these Australian Rode mics. Hmmm......if Terry likes 'em ?...maybe me like too ?

I used them for the first time on a session just chalk full of percussion. Bata's, Tabla's, Cajon, etc... and the Rode NT5's were just stellar. I could not have been happier with the result. There were smiles all around from everyone.

All the detailed high end was right there for every little nuance as well as a suprisingly beefy and tight low end on low tabla and cajon. Loads of bottom on the cajon about 8 inches away. The NT5's handled the cracking mid range of the Bata's without any problem at all.

So far, I just love 'em. You really do have to take internet reviews with several grains of salt, but, coming from a very respected engineer....well... Thanks again Terry....and good on ya Rode !
Dave T.
D&D Music

compasspnt

Re: RODE NT5's-Thank-you Terry
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 11:47:36 AM »

Yes, the 5's are pretty darned good...no, perhaps they aren't the greatest ever made, but for so many uses, they will perform admirably.

The omni capsules are nice as well, if you don't have them.

Ian Visible

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 08:28:05 AM »

I've been wondering for a while - do the omni capsules fit the NT5s as well as the NT55s?

All the literature and descriptions seem to me to be a bit unclear, and only the NT55s mention interchangeable capsules.

I'd like the option of omni capsules for the NT5s...er...and would obviously then rush out and buy a pair! Embarassed

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 02:21:41 PM »

I have the NT55's and I usually use one to record acoustic guitar with the omni capsule. Sounds a lot more open than the cardioid capsule. Only use the cardioid capsule if I do a X/Y  or a two mic setup for stereo.

I have friends who told me you can use the omni capsule with the NT5, but I can't confirm

compasspnt

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 03:24:53 PM »

OK, so I opened up some mic boxes to see what I could find out.

The capsule series is the NT-45, and comes of course in card, omni, and also in hyper-card.

The omni is the NT-45-O.

It does fit onto the NT5, as well as the NT6, NT55, and, believe it or not, the NT4 stereo X/Y.

My favourite for the cuteness factor is the NT6 with the          little mini-gooseneck mount...can be placed almost anywhere.

KB_S1

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 07:55:10 AM »

Terry, have you tried the omni capsule on the NT4?

Might be a useful way to gain an omni SDC for relatively little for me.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

compasspnt

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 08:01:01 AM »

I have only used the 4's in their stock 2 x card, fixed X/Y config...never thought of having two omni's in "x/y"...

We should try...

Ian Visible

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 08:16:53 AM »

Excellent news, thanks for trying it out and answering the question definitively!

I like Rode.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 10:01:58 AM »

How can you put omnis in X/Y?

Won't it sound like mono?

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 10:21:41 AM »

I suspect that Keith meant that if he put one omni capsule on one half of an NT4 that he already owns, and used only that half, he would have an extra-option omni mic at only the cost of one capsule.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 10:38:54 AM »

Yes, but I wasn't sure what you meant.

But now I see I've been done up like a kipper!

Grr.

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

KB_S1

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 24 September 2009 15:21

I suspect that Keith meant that if he put one omni capsule on one half of an NT4 that he already owns, and used only that half, he would have an extra-option omni mic at only the cost of one capsule.

Bingo.

Although Now that I think of it a combination of one omni and one cardioid capsule could prove pretty handy for location sessions.

<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

jetbase

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 06:40:17 PM »

Ian Visible wrote on Thu, 24 September 2009 22:16

I like Rode.

I predict that their product line will get a whole lot more interesting in the near future... at least I hope so!
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

MagnetoSound

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 06:44:43 AM »

KB_S1 wrote on Thu, 24 September 2009 15:45

compasspnt wrote on Thu, 24 September 2009 15:21

Bingo.

Although Now that I think of it a combination of one omni and one cardioid capsule could prove pretty handy for location sessions.

Yes, just be sure to point the omni away from the source.

- Larry DeVivo

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 08:00:56 AM »

I have a question for you Rode owners- Whom also have Classic mics in hand,

If you have KM64's, 221bs,KM54/56/53  KM84 and 451's on hand  

??Would you still find a use for the RODE mics that would out perform the others in certain instances?

Are they good enough to justify their place on sonics alone within that group?  or are they "Good for the money/Great for the money?"

Thanks!

j
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.