R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ARC Room Measurement Plugin  (Read 2633 times)

J-Texas

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

franman

Re: ARC Room Measurement Plugin
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:44:17 PM »

So.. is this a plugin?? It's a valid testing system, even if I may not agree with the technique described (unless for a theater in which case the average of many locations is totally valid)... but it doesn't show how the correction works.. or is that the second video?? oops...

FM
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

J-Texas

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 11:45:49 AM »

Well, it IS a plug. It's pretty unique in that you can save all the presets for the different room positions. I guess at the click of a button, you could go from mix position optimum and then the best for the people on the couch during playback.

The thing that concerns me, this seems to follow along with the "EQ'ing your playback instead of fixing the room is a no, no" category.

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

franman

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 11:30:51 PM »

I understand your concern, but it is effectively, virtual room correction... fairly common. Corrective EQ can be a huge help, WHEN DONE JUDICIOUSLY AND CORRECTLY WITH THOUGHT FOR WHAT ISSUE YOU ARE ADDRESSING. There's no point in trying to correct a midrange comb filter at the mix position caused by a short path difference reflection. It will be narrow and keep moving as you shift your head (or the mic) by just a few inches. This is actually one area where "intellegent" multiple placement testing can verify what issues should be addressed and which ones shouldn't. There's also no point in trying to add back in 10dB at some LF dip caused by modal or SBIR issues... These are judgements that an experienced room tuning professional can make easily, but any automatic corrective software has to be well thought out as well as well programmed to handle.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to knowing what you're doing with any playback system EQ. General smoothing and response sloping can be greatly beneficial in my opinion... almost all else is most likely as destructive, (if not more) than helpful UNLESS you really understand what issue; acoustic, speaker response, placement, reflections... etc. you are addressing.

Hope this makes sense...

FM
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Ethan Winer

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 12:07:19 PM »

franman wrote on Thu, 17 September 2009 20:44

but it doesn't show how the correction works.

ARC is based on the Audyssey system meant mainly for home theaters, which I tested and reported on two years ago:

Audyssey Report

--Ethan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.