R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry, off topic (urrrgh - login/cookie issues)  (Read 4534 times)

Level

Sorry, off topic (urrrgh - login/cookie issues)
« on: July 14, 2004, 08:00:49 PM »

I enjoy this board and others of the rec forums and love to participate. That said, I have a question (?)

Does everyone elses cookie expire every other day and you have to re log in to post?

This is getting rather annoying to say the least and my internet properties have a ton of room for old and new cookies alike.

Is their a fix for this? It is getting to be a pain in the ass.

PS, please delete this post after we have some answers.

This makes 4 log ins needed since Friday. Perhaps If I changed my password to something I could memorize, it would not be such a PITA<

Thanks for responses and the rant.

http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Extreme Mixing

Re: Sorry, off topic (urrrgh)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 08:31:39 PM »

Bill,

It's the same for me.  My cookie expires.  And If I log in, post, then use the link at the top of the page to go to MARSH, I have to log in there, too.  It is a bit tedoius.  Sometimes I don't post and just go somewhere else...

By the way, I had to log in just now to make this post.

Steve

Level

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 09:09:04 PM »

I hope their is a fix for this. It actually makes no sense at all. The only time I ever had a cookie expire was when I once limited my cookie jar to 1 meg. It has 100 megs now and only about 800K is being used.

It needs fixing. I wonder of everyone is having this issue or if something can be done??

Fellows? Speak up?

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

saxist

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 09:43:07 PM »

I have the same problem.  How many others do?  Vote, vote, vote...

Eric H.
Eric Honour
Composer/Audio Engineer/Professor

robk

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 04:57:02 AM »

Level wrote on Thu, 15 July 2004 02:09

I hope their is a fix for this. It actually makes no sense at all. The only time I ever had a cookie expire was when I once limited my cookie jar to 1 meg. It has 100 megs now and only about 800K is being used.

It needs fixing. I wonder of everyone is having this issue or if something can be done??

Fellows? Speak up?

Me too - pretty often - always annoying - I voted!

Rob Kirkwood
Visible Form (UK)

Ernie

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 08:12:34 AM »

Cookies are set to expire after 7 days have passed (604800 seconds). However, each forum (MARSH, REP, SR Forums) requires separate log in (though you can use the same registration in each); this is necessary to allow the software to track your sessions in each forum. If you jump between forums, and your cookie on the new forum has expired, you will have to log in there again. Other problems with cookies are likely to be due to your local settings.
Ernie Black, Code Warrior

Level

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 09:44:02 AM »

Howabout setting them to Not expire after 100 posts. By that time, you have all the info you need from the cookie sessions.

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

PP

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 02:12:40 PM »

Level

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 02:15:54 PM »

Thanks Peter!

Since 2 members have never had their cookies expire.. but a majority have voted the sector I checked, this seems to have some form of adjustability, outside my available control.

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Ernie

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 10:50:55 AM »

Level wrote on Thu, 15 July 2004 09:44

How about setting them to Not expire after 100 posts. By that time, you have all the info you need from the cookie sessions.
There's no way to set such a value; cookies can only be set to expire in number of seconds (1 day = 86400 seconds). We have to set a separate cookie for each of the forums, even though you use the same log in for each; otherwise, there's no way to track your sessions in each forum. Depending on the frequency with which you visit each forum, one may expire even though you've been daily active in another.
Ernie Black, Code Warrior

robk

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2004, 06:54:36 AM »

Ernie wrote on Fri, 16 July 2004 15:50

Level wrote on Thu, 15 July 2004 09:44

How about setting them to Not expire after 100 posts. By that time, you have all the info you need from the cookie sessions.
There's no way to set such a value; cookies can only be set to expire in number of seconds (1 day = 86400 seconds). We have to set a separate cookie for each of the forums, even though you use the same log in for each; otherwise, there's no way to track your sessions in each forum. Depending on the frequency with which you visit each forum, one may expire even though you've been daily active in another.

I have always visited R/E/P on a daily basis - but my cookies still expire in R/E/P.   I do visit MARSH every once in a while, and use the same login at both - so is this the reason?  ...ie 7 days after I last visited MARSH, even though I've still been visiting R/E/P daily?

I'd be perfectly happy if they expired 7 days after my last visit - but this is not what is happening.

I'm using Mozilla Firefox on PC, but have had the same problem with IE6 and Opera 7.

Rob
www.visibleform.co.uk

PP

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2004, 01:34:36 AM »

trexrox

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 05:52:03 PM »

Try going in and deleting the cookies on your local machine.  Also, bookmark the page AFTER you log in.  In Safari for OSX, you can save your login and password... After doing each one of those things, I've never had to re-log in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.