R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AD/DA ala:  (Read 2160 times)

Adam The Truck Driver

AD/DA ala:
« on: September 15, 2009, 02:45:22 PM »

API 500 Series compatible.

Discuss.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Sean Eldon Qualls

Re: AD/DA ala:
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »

You want the analog and digital sides to share one power supply? Are you sure?
Sean Eldon
Gainfully unemployed / Back to freelancing

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 03:06:17 PM »

Not exactly. I was thinking, well...I was thinking, being able to select, if one had one of those Tree 500 consoles, or something like that you could slide in as desired on a per channel basis either a single ADC, or a single DAC on said channel. Sorry. Power supplies I didn't think about. I always fug up the little details. So you're saying a combo AD/DA in a 500 series format won't work?
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Sean Eldon Qualls

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 03:19:33 PM »

Adam The Truck Driver wrote on Tue, 15 September 2009 15:06

So you're saying a combo AD/DA in a 500 series format won't work?

My understanding is that it would require a redesign of the format. No thanks.

As well, I see absolutely no appeal in putting converters in your console...what's the problem with having a separate box that takes up significantly less room?
Sean Eldon

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed" - Dave Hecht

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 03:40:41 PM »

Just an idea, and like most of my ideas it is a bad one I supose.
However I was thinking also about the cost, as most converters come in 2/8/16/24 channel boxes, for a set price, and if one wanted to have 1/4/6/10/12 channels...there ya go. Build up to what you need/want without wasted expense of having to buy more than might be wanted.
Why not have conversion in the console and eliminate the extra rack space if one is going to use a console? I'm just asking.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

MrJoshua

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 04:15:38 PM »

The 500-series format has one input and one output per channel, to the best of my (admittedly limited) knowledge.  Assuming you use those as your line in and out, what do you use for the digital I/O?  Front connectors?  That's going to make a rack pretty sloppy.

Also, how are you going to connect all of your single-channel converters to your other digital equipment?  I can't imagine there are that many pieces of equipment out there with a dozen or so S/PDIF connectors onboard.

It's not necessarily a bad idea, if you can identify a need for such a product, but these are just a couple of things that would make me question it as an idea that would find a valid niche in the market.  Smile  It just seems like it wouldn't be nearly as useful as a multi-channel AD/DA device that sits nicely in a rack, has plenty of analog and digital I/O connectors and channels, and can be patched in wherever you need it.

edit:  Now, having conversion built into a console is being done already.  But that's a little different than a 500-series converter.
Joshua Lovvorn

Adam The Truck Driver

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 04:37:15 PM »

Alright. I'm shot down. I was just asking for discussions sake.
Mod...delete please...this thread.
Adam Brown

No File Selected.

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 02:45:26 AM »

An A/D is certainly possible as is a D/A just not in the same module unless it's a "double wide" [ala the Great River MP-500 NV].  There would be some bitches to the design that would make it difficult as hell to do, but it is definitely "doable".

-----
...and no, I'm not gonna delete the thread... sorry, I think it is an interesting concept.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Jim Williams

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 11:26:59 AM »

It's easily doable. The format has enough room and the + - 16 rails can be adjusted to provide the 5 and 3.3 volt rails from them. It would need 2 analog inputs and an AES/SPDIF output, that is where problems lie as the format doesn't provide those feeds on the rear. Front panel inputs could be provided if you could fit them. TRS would be an option.

The other problem would be EMI. Placing a high level hf clock into the format without careful screening could affect ajacent modules. This would need to be fully metal enclosed at least, with major rf protection on the psu feeds and interconnects.

I always though mixing low level mic preamps with high level digital clocks was a bad idea, best to keep those functions isolated in different locations. With the future 32 bit digital sytems to come with 150 db dynamic range, that will surely become an issue.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

brett

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 04:31:40 PM »

the most efficient i/o foot print would be some kind of d-sub breakout. But on the fonrt? that would look weird.

Sean Eldon Qualls

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 04:35:07 PM »

brett wrote on Wed, 16 September 2009 16:31

the most efficient i/o foot print would be some kind of d-sub breakout. But on the fonrt? that would look weird.

For a while we were evaluating a 500-series summing and monitoring system that, all in, took up half or all of the Lunchbox and had DSUBs on the front.

Plug in all the connectors, gravity starts pulling the frame down off the test bench...

Luckily, I can catch.
Sean Eldon

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.