R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SDC Options?  (Read 8089 times)

adamjknight

SDC Options?
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get a matched pair of SDC's, so far the options are:

1) AKG 451B
2) Nuemann KM184
3) Josephson C42

The primary application at this point will be acoustic guitar, though at some point i would like to use them for piano and drums also.

The acoustic sound i would like to aspire to would be Jack Johnsons In Between Dreams sound, so if anyone knows what mics were used to record his acoustic would be fantastic!

They will be running through an API Pre if that has any bearing.

Ideally, i would like to go a little cheaper than the Nuemanns, but only if i don't loose to much in regards to sound & versatility?

Would welcome any and all advice?

Adam

Fletcher

Re: SDC Options?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 02:11:39 PM »

In the price range you seem to be playing, the Josephson C-42's are my favorite.  

In the $950ish each range, [go figure] I'm totally in love with the M-A Mfg. "KM-69" [it was designed to my sense of aesthetic] and in the small diaphragm tube amplifier department [again, if you notice my signature file at the bottom of the post you'll realize another serious bias condition] the TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik ELA M 260 is [in my opinion, YMMV] a pretty bad assed whammer jammer.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Halfway Competent

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »

I couldn't find any info on "In Between Dreams", but on his new album, electric guitar was recorded with an Audio Technica 4050; acoustic was recorded with an unspecified AKG.  Jack sings into a Telefunken U47AE.

http://mixonline.com/recording/tracking/audio_jack_johnsons_ sleep/index.html

Another article suggests the Telefunken Ela M 251 was used:
"And we also bought a new Ela M 251. I first tried it on acoustic guitar, put it up and got a perfect guitar sound. No EQ, no compression, and it really sang. You can't beat that."

Ryan Slowey

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 10:19:56 AM »

The Josephsons thoroughly kick ass.

They are my only pair of SDC's, and I couldn't be happier with them. The are fantastic on so many sources, including ac. guitar and drums. I've had great success with them on el. guitar, bass, vocals, room mics, snare, toms, kick, etc. A truly great tool to have around.

Very clear, detailed, crisp sounding mics. They work well at further distances too. The freq. response seems to even out a little more on top by backing the mic up a couple inches further than you might normally... But they still maintain a "close" feel. I guess that's what you'd call "reach".

The build quality is extremely solid. They feel heavy and could certainly take a fall.

The 451s are decent mics as well. I've used them quite a bit as OH's, and always thought they sounded nice in that application. Nice tight polar pattern.

There is a pair at the studio where I assist, which were used as the main OH pair most of the time, but since getting the Josephsons, they've been "riding the pine" more often than not.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

My music: http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 11:11:59 AM »

Skip the 184..

adamjknight

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 10:21:43 AM »

Guys,

Just wondering?

How do the Peluso CEMC6' compare to these mics?

They are a lot cheaper than the C42 & 184's, but i am not interested in just saving cash!

Adam

bigbone

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 12:45:57 PM »

i got the  peluso cemc6 and i find it harsh, not as smooth and open as the Chameleon TS1 ....... But like the famous quote YMMV

best of luck

Jean N.

Halfway Competent

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 05:30:07 PM »

adamjknight wrote on Wed, 16 September 2009 07:21

Guys,

Just wondering?

How do the Peluso CEMC6' compare to these mics?

They are a lot cheaper than the C42 & 184's, but i am not interested in just saving cash!

Adam

For that matter, has anyone used the Charter Oak M900, or M900T?

MI

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 03:43:26 PM »

The new AKG 451 B's are not that great. However an older pair of 451 E's are lovely.

I've used them on Acoustic and Classical guitar, Drum overheads as well.

I recall this thread talking about the Beyerdynamic MC930 as an interesting SDC.

Beyer MC930

MI

adamjknight

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 02:05:21 PM »

Guys,

What is the verdict on the C451 EB ?

I can't get a pair, but have found one that seems to be in very good condition for < $600 USD.

I can delay getting my pair for now and just focus on getting a single for acoustic guitar.

Is this a good price and option?

How would it compare to the other contenders in this thread?

Adam

MI

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 02:48:48 PM »

The only difference between the 451E and 451EB is that the EB has a 3 postion low cut switch.

$600 seems a bit stiff unless it comes with 2 capsules, and even then it's a little more than I'd pay for one.

MI

bigbone

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 03:48:55 PM »

adamjknight wrote on Fri, 18 September 2009 14:05

Guys,

What is the verdict on the C451 EB ?

I can't get a pair, but have found one that seems to be in very good condition for < $600 USD.

I can delay getting my pair for now and just focus on getting a single for acoustic guitar.

Is this a good price and option?

How would it compare to the other contenders in this thread?

Adam

600 $ for a pair or for one..... for a pair it's a lot. so for one, no way will i pay that much.

plughead

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 04:28:41 PM »

Agreed - in today's market, $600 is too high - for a pr. yes, but single, no.

N. Jay Burr
PlugHead Productions

adamjknight

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 06:53:27 PM »

Thanks guys!

I will give it a miss then.

Cheers,
Adam

piedpiper

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 06:09:52 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Thu, 10 September 2009 13:11

In the price range you seem to be playing, the Josephson C-42's are my favorite.  

In the $950ish each range, [go figure] I'm totally in love with the M-A Mfg. "KM-69" [it was designed to my sense of aesthetic] and in the small diaphragm tube amplifier department [again, if you notice my signature file at the bottom of the post you'll realize another serious bias condition] the TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik ELA M 260 is [in my opinion, YMMV] a pretty bad assed whammer jammer.

Peace.

I've heard complaints that the KM-69 is overly bright, as in brighter than a good KM84. Any thoughts there? And Fletcher, how would you describe your "sense of aesthetic" in relation to the KM-69? And how would you describe the difference between the C-42, the KM-69 and the ELA M 260? Thanks.
Tim Britton

row, row, row your boat...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.