R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rock Band Network  (Read 825 times)

Waltz Mastering

Rock Band Network
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:19:23 PM »

Harmonix,  the creators of "Rockband" are coming out with "Rock Band Network" soon.

Accepting original song stems to be uploaded and used for the game/xbox - with  royalty payments for those accepted/voted. ---

A client had me put some stems together for him the other day. ---

I guess it's an interesting concept -- maybe a new way to break  a unknown band?

http://creators.rockband.com/

mattrussell

Re: Rock Band Network
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:33:07 AM »

this is all very interesting to me and i think it's a brilliant move for harmonix.  i've met a few people that work there and the working environment seems really, really great.  nothing corporate about it and at the same time, they take it very seriously.  seems to be working for them (to say the very least).

i was fortunate enough to produce, engineer and mix a record for a band that i'm pretty sure was the first band to be on the new RBN.  when they first told me something was happening, they couldn't tell me anything about it, but i knew we were running stems for a rock band "thing".  this was back in may/june and i was told it would be coming out this fall.  it was a really interesting experience.  had to keep my mouth shut for months as nothing had been announced and i didn't really know what was going on.  thought i had a band getting a song on the new rock band release, just didn't know for sure.  

i'd done stems for film/tv work, but nothing like this.  the spec sheets were rough then, but they were reasonably clear as to what needed to be done.  there was a bit of guess work involved, but thankfully we nailed it and they were very happy with the results.  i hope to play the game and song i worked on at some point.  don't own a gaming system, but the band of course does.

the popularity of the game is so massive, i almost expect this will become routine for many bands i work with.  i'm not seeing this as an opportunity to make more money on records or mixing (and i really mean that), but i def plan to charge something for it in the future.  haven't quite figured that out, but i'm sure you can imagine the amount of time that's added to mixing when you have to run stems - esp if it's going to be a large number of the songs.  it also makes doing mixes alone a little tougher because they really need to be there when you're making decisions about game-play.  (typically, i send mixes to a band/artist for review and make changes as requested.  i do host some final mix sessions at my place, but that's somewhat rare).  

i'll probably do something like a per-song charge for it.  it wasn't a lot of work, but it took a couple of hours to create the stems and adding time is adding time, i can't NOT charge for it.  just have too much going on to just throw that in - esp if they're going to sit in my control room with me and run them.  time is time.  on the first one, some of that time was trying to understand their spec sheets, which were very rough.  i can't imagine the final spec's they've released look anything like what i saw.  i wasn't even allowed to keep a copy.  the band came by with it on a laptop and i was reading it off a screen.  now that i pretty much know what needs to be done, i'd be able to go a lot faster.
matt russell
producer/engineer
boston, ma
http://www.gainstructure.com

rankus

Re: Rock Band Network
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 01:52:13 PM »

Thanks Tom and Matt.  This looks very interesting!

Here's an excerpt from a news pc here:  http://kotaku.com/5346803/power-to-the-people-how-rock-band- network-expands-the-game-gets-any-song-online

And the home page for creators: http://creators.rockband.com/

Quote:

Harmonix estimates that these coding stages will take about two days for a user comfortable with the program to complete. What follows is a process of mandatory play-testing and peer review on the Rock Band Network's creators website.

Uploading a song for playtesting and participating in such tests and peer reviews requires membership in Microsoft's XNA Creators Club, which costs $99 to join.

A submitted song will have to be reviewed by at least eight other people and will be checked manually and by software for quality and copyright infringement. Play-testing last a week and peer review runs at least two days or as long as two weeks. A two-day quarantine follows. After that, a song will be published to the Rock Band Network Store, a separate store from the familiar Rock Band marketplace, also accessible through the game. Publishing will happen within an hour of the song clearing those hurdles, not at an assigned weekly or monthly release time.

The whole process from song creation to publishing on the store would therefore take a couple of weeks, minimum.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 17 queries.