R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If I can't afford a Rosetta...  (Read 7009 times)

jc-muscleshoals

If I can't afford a Rosetta...
« on: August 24, 2009, 12:38:42 PM »

I use a DIGI002R w/ProTools 8, and I keep reading about what a huge difference it makes to upgrade to the Apogee Rosetta 200. It is not in my budget right now. Would I be better off to save for it or is there another option with equal results?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives".

Miguel M

Re: If I can't afford a Rosetta...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 01:08:55 PM »

It would be a improvement over the Digi 002 but if it's worth the money or not it's up to your needs.

If you can save for one Rosetta 200 i say go for it! It's a valuable tool, as are other hi-end converters.

jc-muscleshoals

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 11:02:15 AM »

Are there other converters that will make a "night and day" difference in the sound compared to my DIGI-for instance, on Ebay I found Lucid AD 9624, Rosetta AD 96k (old model), etc.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives".

compasspnt

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 02:34:54 PM »

Of those, I would get the 96 Rosetta.

That or the Lucid would be an improvement over the X*$)# Digi converters.

KB_S1

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »

Another option to consider is Benchmark.

Or, if you need to get pre-amps you could buy something with integrated convertors.
I know they are not popular here but  I know of someone who bought a Focusrite ISA428 with the digi card.
Using that as the clock source for their 002 made a world of a difference.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

marcel

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 01:31:09 PM »

Personally, I would hold on a little longer until I had the dough for a Rosetta 200.  I have used the older Rosetta (meh... although probably better than the Digi 002 as Terry says) and currently own 2 of the Rosetta 800s.  The newer series are far superior and are IMO some of the best value for money to be had in converters.  There are better units out there (Lavry, Prism, etc), but the price jump is pretty astronomical.

Best, Marcel

compasspnt

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 06:06:10 PM »

I was referring to the newer version as well, just meant that a 96k one should be great...who needs 192?

The older versions were not nearly as n ice.

And of course their AD/DA-X newest series is even way better...

organica

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 12:17:42 AM »

What about a Duet ? Or an Ensemble ?

jc-muscleshoals

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 04:16:22 PM »

To whomever deletes posts-I bought a Rosetta. Thanks to everyone on their input.

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 04:31:36 PM »

jc-muscleshoals wrote on Fri, 23 October 2009 16:16

I bought a Rosetta.

Which version?

What do you think?

BTW, threads are left to help many other people as well.

There are usually about 100 times the number of people "just reading" as the people actively posting.

Regards.

danickstr

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 11:11:47 PM »

If you can't afford a Rosetta, then of course you would buy one.  That is what any of us would have done.  Hope it works for you.  I don't know how much they are, but I like the Aurora cards/converters as well, for the 100 non-posters.  Lynx makes it.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

jc-muscleshoals

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 01:23:38 PM »

I played Jackson Browne's latest release in my Masterlink which was going into the Rosetta, and I could immediately hear the deatil and imaging in the acoustic guitars. I can tell that a superior converter is like a superior mic pre, they may not make a night and day difference to some, but they incrementally improve the result. I have good mics going into a Great River and then into the Rosetta. I'm definitely smiling. My next step will be a Distressor. I currently use the FMR RNC's or plugins. Thanks for everyones input. And, by the way, I am usually one of the people reading and not posting, so thank you to all of those who post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.