R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: IMP22 Discussion  (Read 11512 times)

rankus

Re: IMP22 Discussion
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 10:01:35 PM »

Hey jason no offense taken at all bro... The vocals are a chalenge for sure.  My post was more to give the band props than anything else . It's all good brother!  

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Reno

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 05:58:11 PM »

Rankus

is that the orginal mastered version that you uploaded?

rankus

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 09:25:38 PM »

Reno wrote on Sat, 29 August 2009 14:58

Rankus

is that the orginal mastered version that you uploaded?

Ya, I suppose I cheated a bit there Wink. Mine is the original final track from the cd... Mastered by our very own Ed Littman here on PSW ... I can't recomend him strongly enough!  He does fantastic work at a very low cost.. Revisions are no prob and his communication is outstanding!  Love you Ed!

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

osumosan

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 11:07:20 PM »

Wow! Cool. Ed did two of my projects. He is awesome and a fine guitar player, too. Anyway, my comments:

I guess everyone's on vacation, eh? I also have to remember to take notes while I mix to remember the problem spots. The ring on the cymbals for example sounds like tinnitis through a compressor and is problematic. And what's with the mid frequency resonance in the U2/Cult guitar lick the second time around? Ouch!

antman
phase and/or eq issues. Things are clouding up. Snare is flat and paper-y. Some high pass might clear some things up. Vocals are too tucked in and need something to make them carry the song.

iCombs
Nice. Sounds like a live mix. I can hear the AR guy asking for a vox up on this one. Very smooth mix. I'd like to hear more grit on guitars and there's a bit of build up in the low mids.

0dbfs
I like the vox treatment and the backwards effects but not crazy about the stutter of the guitars. A bit harsh in the 5k and sibilances are way too hot.

mkane
nice drum sounds. Good room sound on the drums, but vox and rhythm guitars are claustrophobic.

graham
excellent balance and not overcompressed. I'd like to hear the vox with a bit more strength. Hihat a bit intrusive. The room sounds a bit like a rehearsal space, but that's not necessarily bad. Mastering could really take this mix to a good place.

h201
Too compressed. "Interesting" tuning choices. This mix is also claustrophobic. Seems to be some phase or eq problems with the drums. The mix sounds like a mono mix with some muffled stuff happening on the sides.

J-Texas
Vox are closed sounding. The delay clashes sometimes, but I like it when it closes in to a slap. The drums have great articulation and the playing is featured well. You've got a lot of hall right - I can hear the hi hat foot

patrik t
Guitars are unbalanced. vox is harsh. I like the concept as in odbfs's mix, but the sibilance has to be dealt with. There's a fade I hear right after the intro vox. Don't like the bass drop. Is there any guitar on the right?

Podgorny
Lots of good bottom but the top is too 3k-ish and a bit thin, harsh.
Good snare sound. Hihat wouldn't be too much if the overall eq was worked on.

Reno
With this spacious mix, the drums could move back a bit. The snare seems to be the only thing in front of me and it's a bit too sharp. Good vox treatment. Not too harsh. Move the intro guitar down for impact and tuck the kick/snare and vox into the mix bringing up everything.

type k
phase on guitar is off (did you reamp?) and I find it disconcerting at 2 o' clock. cool rehearsal room sound on the snare. Vox is boxed in though. Overall the drums are a bit too dominant, maybe a drum buss comp would do the trick here.

Alex L
Nice open reverb sound, but a bit over the top during the U2/Cult guitar part. The snare hits too hard and ends up being hammer-like and I think it'll make people turn down the song.

Josh McArdle
Best guitar intro. Cool factory sounding space, but a bit too many different treatments on the vox. Nice backwards guitar. Kick too hot, especially on the breakdowns. Vox sibilance.

Rankus
that's the majesty I want to hear. You could even put the snare back a bit with the reverb. A couple things like the cymbals and floor tom are ringing.

MGA
The band's not holding up to the vox. Snare is phasey and papery. I would do the exact reverse of your vox doubling and use it at the end of lines.

Okay. My ears are ringing like f*ckers. Thanks y'all!

j.hall

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 11:21:58 PM »

i'm going to have to bend the rules and post my mix up tomorrow.  i'm BEYOND busy, and literally have not had a single chance to get my mix uploaded let alone type the link to it.

not even sure it's worthy but i'll post it for any one that cares.

Billybehdaz

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 12:07:36 AM »

j.hall wrote on Sat, 29 August 2009 22:21

i'm going to have to bend the rules and post my mix up tomorrow.  i'm BEYOND busy, and literally have not had a single chance to get my mix uploaded let alone type the link to it.

not even sure it's worthy but i'll post it for any one that cares.

Any chance of re-opening the submission thread?  I'm in the same boat, got slammed at work on Fri (actually mixed the track last weekend) and then totally forgot to upload it Friday night. Just put it on the server, but couldn't post the link.

http://www1.prosoundweb.com/imp/files/Billybedaz_IMP22.mp3

h2o1

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 01:01:21 AM »

I will be very negative here.

type_k
Low-End problems. where is Bass? Snare is a paper shit.

PODGORNY
Good Frequency balance. However dynamically is very flat and
boring.
JoBu
Can hear Comb filtering on Vocals, what did u do? Low mid crap is boosted to a crazy height. One of a worst snares here,  completely nulled out.

Rankus
Good Guitar sound and Lead vocal processing (but still horrible, non-tuned itself) Apart from that snare is boxy. BG Vocals are mistreated and compete with a singer. Same problems as in PODGORNY case, choruses are very flat dynamically and boring.

mkane
One of few cases where snare sounds right. Good guitars. Maybe too much hh.

patrik_t
clone of type_k problemwise.

graham
nice guitar low end, but not top end. Bad treatment of BG vocals. And yes Snare is a paper shit.

MGA
very strange balance. not in your face at all. strange doubling of vocal or tuning. Snare is bad enough.

Blacklight_uk
 decided to move that problematic and shitty vocal down. But it could be better not to be lazy and tune it!. A bit too much HH to my taste.

PSW
 vocal is abit down. Background vocals mistreated. Snare should be better. Too much HH.

Reno_thestraws
 SN is good in its position but not in its sounding, too boxy. Background vocals mistreated.

iCombs
 Good guitars but snare do not cut thru for that density u chosen. And snare sound itself is not great.

Billybedaz
sick snare.

thegreatcodfish
low end dominant, like underwater consider better monitoring.
Snare is shit. well everything else is a shit too.

Osumosan
Soo much reverb on vocals. Snare is a piece of crap.

JasonThompson
too much low mid. could be much better if -2 db or so. BG vocals mistreated or not treated at all. Snare sounds good but not perfect.

h2o1
Could use more cymbals. Guitars low end could be better.

Josh_McArdle
SN is shitty enough. BG vocals mistreated or not treated at all.

Antman
Shit.

Antman

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 02:55:13 AM »

I haven’t had proper access to my monitors/room for the last couple of weeks, so this is pretty much a headphone mix and analysis. Still tried to give the most useful feedback I could think of however.

I don’t know if things have changed since I last did an IMP, but I thought mastering/limiting the mix was a no-no? It makes it hard to compare mixes really. We should either all be doing it or all not be doing it.

And thanks to Rankus for giving us this one! It was a lot of fun Smile

Reno:

Synth in the intro is cool, as are reverse cymbals throughout. Mix sounds pretty great overall.
Did you pan the toms centre in some places? My preference is for wide toms, but that’s only a matter of taste, certainly works.

Osuman:

Attack on guitars in intro feels weird, and occasionally throughout, but that could be cause of the way it’s mastered.

Is there an extra synth line in there? That’s pretty cool.

Rankus:

Cool.

(Sorry I don’t have more to say! I just dig!)

Jason Thompson:

Awesome kick sound. I like the way you brought up the hi-hat stomping in the gaps between the chords. Interesting work on the vocals, really cool ideas with those delays!

Patrik T:

Phasey vocals. What’d you try to do there? Sounds pretty odd. Guitars sound top heavy.

Jobu/0dBFS:

Phasey vocals again! Snare sounds thin. Kick drum is gooone. Need way more kick in the mix. Toms sound bizarre. I actually kind of like the general sort of vibe you tried to establish in this mix though. I don’t know how else to describe it other than “cold”. With this mix it sounds like a song set in a cold cloudy place. I think you have a good thing going in that regard, you just need to work on your eq/level/comp chops to support it, and try to make your little automated reverb/reversed verbs etc more of a subtle aspect of the mix. Most of the time people shouldn’t be aware of our existence.

MGA:

Nice clean vox, maybe too loud
Intro nice and quiet in contrast.
Snare a bit boxy, maybe too much 700hz?
Where’s the bass? Needs a spot in the mix and some more level
Phasey vocal effect in 2nd verse sounds odd.
Cool little note change with the backing vox.
Delayed vox at end feels uncomfortable to me

H20l:

Out of time and pointless cymbal hits at start really set this mix up the unprofessional work that follows. I could imagine heads rolling over that one. Really bad vox autotuning, seems to sound MORE pitchy and generally painful. Boring and uninspired stereo image, if you can call it that.

Lots of distasteful editing of perfectly useable performances seems pretty self indulgent, all you’ve accomplished is successfully ruining a song.

Hope this constructive criticism is informative and somehow helps you develop your craft! ☺

MKane:

Mastered?
Vox distortion was cool
Guitars sound pretty nice and balanced, though maybe a little too bright
bass sits nicely in the mix I think.
Kick is very clicky in verses.
Toms sound pretty cool.
Snare is very quiet compared to kick, and feels like it’s much further back in the room.

Alex L:

Distorted guitars are tubby, but the intro guitars sound clear. Did you scoop out 2k on the guitars or something?
Is there a dark reversed delay on the snare? Something makes it feel funky and forward, which is cool, although the normal reverb on it is really pushing it back. The reverse reverb could maybe be more subtle (if that’s what it is?)
Are you a bassist? Bass is pretty nice on this, although feels a bit too focused somewhere in the mids?

Podgorny:

Mastered!?
Haha dig the shortened intro. Toms are schweet. Guitars fit great, vocals sit well, but could maybe do with some De-Essing if you want that much top? Dug the note changes.
distorted vox seems to be a recurring theme in the transitions across all these mixes!

Kick and snare are great. You seem to have the hats sitting the highest in the mix out of all the mixes I’ve heard so far, but it works, really makes it feel pushy, cool.

Graham:

Ohh the synth is a central instrument in your mix, Ahh wish I’d done that!
All sounds pretty balanced and even. You’ve got the hats pretty high in the mix which feels good for the song, but I would have taken out some of the upper mids/1k if I were going to have them that loud, they feel kinda clunky.

iCombs:

There’s a click in the left channel before the first chorus thing? Did you re-amp the guitars? They all sound really nice!
Kick is schweet. Attack remains present throughout the mix but it still feels phat. Is it a sample?
Cool changes to the backing vox.

Josh McArdle:

Great intro! It has a cold sort of feel to it, as in wintery, which suits the song. And the reverse guitar into the first chorus is cool, although my preference would be to mix that a bit lower.
I’m listening on phones so having first verse vox to one side feels a bit weird.
Kick feels a bit tubby/wooly. Vocals are really sibilant at the end! But also a little too sibilant throughout the mix.

TypeK:

Guitars sound phasey?
Kick and bass could do with some more definition, as in find a spot for them in the upper mids/highs, and maybe try some different compression settings.

Antman

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 02:59:15 AM »

osumosan wrote on Sun, 30 August 2009 11:07

Wow!

antman
phase and/or eq issues. Things are clouding up. Snare is flat and paper-y. Some high pass might clear some things up. Vocals are too tucked in and need something to make them carry the song.

Thanks for the feedback. Smile

I'm just wondering, where exactly do you hear the phase issues? I don't remember doing anything that I would expect to introduce phase issues.

Billybehdaz

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »

h2o1 wrote on Sun, 30 August 2009 00:01

Billybedaz
sick snare.

Is that better or worse than "paper shit"? Very Happy

Listening on headphones -

typek - kick a little flabby, maybe too much low end.  Could use more lead gtr and less synth.  nice vox.

podgorny - overall mix sizzly.  nice bk vox.  bass distinct but maybe a little honky in the upper mids.  Like the vox tuning.

jobu - not sure about the vox double/room treatment.  Thin snare, where's the kick?  Boxy lead gtr.  Drum treatment in stop steps on the vox.

rankus - nice snare, great balances.  Really like this one, not much else to say.

mkane - nice snare treatment.  Kinda scooped sounding overall.  Like the grit on the vox.

patrik_t - kick gets lost, needs more beater.  Don't like the bass drop, maybe drop the grs insead of the bass.  Gtrs competing with the vox at the end.

0dbfs

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 08:42:41 AM »

Thanks for listening and for the feedback so far.
I apologize if I didn't include my notes for your mix. It's because It was submitted after I downloaded all of the mixes and I have not been back to the studio.
Looking forward to the next one.

Cheers,
jonathan

------------------------------------------------------------ -
Reno:
Good blend.
Kick sounds too thumpy to me.
Seems like the lead breaks are down a bit to much.

JoBu (me):
I liked the first drum break going into the lead melody part. Tried to duplicate during the second break/roll but wasn't as good as first IMO.
The vocal performance really grew on me after a while.
I didn't particularly like the way the kick felt in the song so I mixed it down.
Thought my mix ended up bright and needed tightening in the low-mids.

Antman:
Thought the main melody gtr was a little lost.
Liked the snappy snare and the vocal delay in the breaks.
I thought the kick was a little busy sounding so didn't feature it much myself. It was a little distracting for me in your mix.

Osumosan:
Intro nice and warm.
Nice articulation of the lead melody and drum fills/rolls.
Nice vocal verb but I thought it was a bit too nice for her performance.

Rankus:
You brought out the snare work very nicely and not too bright at all.
Did you reamp the melody gtr's?

Jason Thompson:
Something going on in the lows..
Nice panning scheme brought out the hat on the left.
Kick sounds a little boxy.

patrik_t:
Thought her vocals were a bit too much on top and spitty.
Loved the instrumental breaks.
Liked the re-arrangement and ooh's in the second half.

h2o:
Did you autotune the vox? I think it pulled some notes further out than the original.
Did the gtr sound change drastically into the second half?

MGA:
Sounds like something is missing. Probably the lower gain guitars.
Vocals feel way too loud.
The doubled ones feel a little messy.
Kick and bass don't feel locked.

mkane:
Great mix!
Nice and punchy.
Like the distortion on the vocal.
Great tone on the kit.

thegreatcodfish:
bgv's very angelic
cool modulation thing on the synth.
gtr's could use a little meat.

PODGORNY:
Nice fade after the intro.
Bass frequency sounds nice but in a couple places they really jump out in the low registers.
Sounds like you reamp'd (or via plugin) one of the bass tracks.
Cool ending note.

graham:
Thought the drums stuck out a bit in the beginning but blended better as the song played through.
You brought out the synth part more than the lead melody in those parts. I thought the lead melody was a more important part of the vibe. Just my opinion.

iCombs:
Drums felt wide to me but I did mine mono for the most part.
Nice snare sound.
Thought your kick had the mid thonk on the end of it.. If that makes sense.

Blacklight_uk:
Really liked your intro.
Nice distorted vocal section (even if it was a bit over the top). Keeps the mix developing for me. Also good idea with movement of the vocal in the beginning but it was a distracting in it's execution.
Kick is a little "bright" for me.
Jonathan Burtner
Music is Everything!
Audio is Everything Else!

h2o1

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 09:00:18 AM »

>Did you autotune the vox? I think it pulled some notes further out >than the original.
Yes, in the beginning there are couple of notes. But i was too bored to fix them.

>Did the gtr sound change drastically into the second half?
Yes, there are 2 more tracks added.

h2o1

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 09:21:22 AM »

Billybehdaz wrote on Sun, 30 August 2009 07:40

h2o1 wrote on Sun, 30 August 2009 00:01

Billybedaz
sick snare.

Is that better or worse than "paper shit"? Very Happy

Much, much better, it is more like: great intention - bad result. It was positioned properly, so in your case it is not clinical case, sooner or later it will be right.

Billybehdaz

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 09:21:34 AM »

graham - could use more of the lead riff. like what you did with the synth.  Vox could use a little more space.

mga - vox too out front.  Snare a little thin.  Nice gtrs.  Low end of kick a little overbearing.

blacklight/psw - like the into idea.  vox off center in intro, guessing that's intentional.  Like distorted vox in the stop, but not afer that.  

reno - needs more punch from clean intro to the rest of song.  too much kick.  Vox could be dirtier/less pretty.

icombs - I like treatments on this one, just maybe a little heavy in the lows/low mids.

codfish - little boxy overall.  lead gtr treatment is cool, just bring it back a little so it's not so obvious.

osumosan - vox a little low mid heavy, covering the snare a bit.  Could use more rthm gtrs/less bass gtr in parts.  Like the bk vox.

jasonthompson - nice balances, snare a little too popcorn popper for me.  Like the vox edits, but the tuning seems off in parts.

h201 - would like a little more beater on the kick.  just a couple of weird spots on the vox tuning, but with the track at hand it was certainly up for interpatation.  Snare sample has too much bottom snare sound for my taste.

josh - 3rd version of same, different name?

antman - shit.

just kidding Very Happy kick/bass gtr balance off. nice rthm gtrs, just maybe too loud in spots.  another "pretty" vox track.  This track called for more grit, IMHO.  

Reno

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 12:51:08 PM »

Hi all!

thanks for every feedback, it's very cool...

Quote:

Synth in the intro is cool

Just reamped one of the DI guitar with a lot of effect (phaser, delays, flanger, and more...)

For the synth track, I put a sequenced gate on it to give taht PING PONG On/Off effect

Thank you
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.