R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chalkboards  (Read 2722 times)

lord

Chalkboards
« on: July 15, 2004, 01:36:34 PM »

I was thinking that it would be useful to have a few blackboards around the studio for keeping temporary notes and charts, etc. Then it occured to me that chalk dust might be a really nasty thing to have flying around, especially for faders and mic capsules.

What do you think?

I suppose that dry-erase markers are the obvious alternative, but they remind me too much of a dot-com conference room.

redfro

Re: Chalkboards
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 10:12:45 PM »

I'd be more worried about reflections....
Wes Pitzer
WCS Media

Fletcher

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 06:47:05 AM »

The traditional method has always been to use magic markers on sheets of oaktag... though we've been debating throwing a 'white board' in our control room.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

bblackwood

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 06:53:39 AM »

Dry erase seems to be the go-to recently - especialy for creating a chart of 'tracks vs parts completed' when overdubbing...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

lord

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 10:35:52 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Still does anyone have the opinion that chalk dust = satan? What if you erase "wet" and obviously don't put it directly behind the console...

Also, does anybody know where to get those metal thingies that hold five pieces of chalk for drawing staves on the board?

It's a very important aesthetic matter.

bigfurry

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 08:22:30 AM »

The aesthetic angle is intriguing. i'm totally digging it.  You could school a horrible band, by drawing professorial diagrams entailing assorted ratios of Suck vs. Talent. Perhaps you could have drummers write 100x "I will not hit the ribbon overheads with my stick twirls," etc.  And after hours you could have a whole student/teacher role playing thing happening with the Shakira impersonator, so...
Go for it, patchbay be damned!

No, don't do that without more research, I just got carried away with my last postulation.

Yes, this is an important issue.  I'm lacking in knowledge, but I wish you good fortune in your quest.  Perhaps Klaus next door would explain the effects of chalk dust on old german condensers...
http://saltysidedown.com/junk/lou/zodiac_banner.jpg

drumsound

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 05:08:30 PM »

lord wrote on Tue, 20 July 2004 09:35

Also, does anybody know where to get those metal thingies that hold five pieces of chalk for drawing staves on the board?

It's a very important aesthetic matter.

Look in the Yellow Pages for teachers supply stores.  Also call the local schools, ask where they buy.  Another alternative might be the chalkboards with the staff already on them like most music schools have.

j.hall

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 10:38:29 PM »

reflections......hhahahahahaha

i use a dry erase board with black electrical tape dividing it up into nice little squares

set the board in a corner, or tape it to an angled piece of glass you don't need to see through and pull it out/walk over to it as needed

i also keep a clean one around for quick notes that more then just myself and the assistant need to see

JohnnyTooLoud

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 05:33:53 PM »

Many years ago we used chalk-board paint on a piece of plywood screwed to a door in our shop. Worked great for leaving notes and whatnot.

But that was a work room so no comment on the good / evil aspect of dust, mics and gear.

--Giovanni
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 17 queries.