R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Healthcare Reform Obstructionist 6  (Read 13089 times)

Jon Hodgson

Re: Healthcare Reform Obstructionist 6
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2009, 02:00:16 PM »

JDNelson wrote on Tue, 11 August 2009 18:06

You guys are missing the point.  You're focusing on the messenger and ignoring the message.  My post is not about the Liberty.edu group.  This (House bill) is not about health care... it's about power, Chucko.  

See here for another POV on the depth of emotions on this issue.  This is from WSJ... maybe you consider them a subversive right wing publication, I dunno:      http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124993227709320287.html#arti cleTabs%3Dcomments

Do you want to --have to carry-- a National Health Care ID card?  That's right there in the bill, look it up. it's very clear, no embellishment required.  

If no embellishment is required, why does the Liberty Counsel feel the need to embellish it?

What they say is

"Sec. 163, Pg. 58-59 beginning at line 5 - Government will have real-time access to individual’s finances & a National ID health care card will be issued!"

But if you actually bother to read that section, you find that what it actually says is they want real time access to what an individuals rights and responsibilities are... what services do they get for free? What do they have to pay for? And that this may be done by having a machine readable ID card (which in itself is no different from having a machine readable library card). It doesn't say anything about having real time access to an individual's finances, just their financial responsibilities, which in the context of the bill as a whole and that section in particular, can be reasonably taken as meaning their financial responsibilities with regards to medical services.

JDNelson

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2009, 02:01:29 PM »

JDNelson

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2009, 02:13:18 PM »

Jay Kadis wrote on Tue, 11 August 2009 10:45

JDNelson wrote on Tue, 11 August 2009 10:06

Do you want to --have to carry-- a National Health Care ID card?  That's right there in the bill, look it up. it's very clear, no embellishment required.  
I already carry a Kaiser health care ID and a Social Security card.  What's the difference?

The law doesn't require me to carry a Kaiser ID card.  I have a SSN but I don't carry a card...  can't remember the last time I was ever asked to produce it.  This is a direct step towards an Orwellian "Your papers please!" future.  

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2009, 02:29:43 PM »

JDNelson wrote on Tue, 11 August 2009 19:13

Jay Kadis wrote on Tue, 11 August 2009 10:45

JDNelson wrote on Tue, 11 August 2009 10:06

I already carry a Kaiser health care ID and a Social Security card.  What's the difference?

The law doesn't require me to carry a Kaiser ID card.  I have a SSN but I don't carry a card...  can't remember the last time I was ever asked to produce it.  This is a direct step towards an Orwellian "Your papers please!" future.  

The Bill doesn't say that it will be a legal requirement to carry the card, it doesn't even say that the card is going to be used at all.

The word "card" appears ONCE in the whole bill, in the sentence

"which may include utilization of a machine-readable health plan beneficiary identi1fication card"

Now I don't put it past governments to try to sneak in another level of control given half a chance, so by all means keep an eye out for them trying to do that, but as written the bill is completely compatible with having a card that you can carry if you choose to which allows the hospital to quickly see what your medical aid covers, there's no reason to have to carry it all the time (Emergency care should always be covered).

The system should also allow you to sort your bill with other forms of ID, but don't moan if it takes them longer to look up your information that way.

JDNelson

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2009, 03:27:27 PM »

So you guys aren't even a little bit worried about any of this stuff?

Tom L

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2009, 05:30:59 PM »

I've been fortunate to have health insurance for most (not all) of my adult life.  Over the years this has been with several (probably now close to 10) different insurance companies.  Everytime I go to the doctor or hospital, I am asked to show my insurance card.

I wouldn't say I'm totally unconcerned about the bill but what is so troublesome about having an insurance card?

jimlongo

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2009, 07:07:23 PM »

Berolzheimer wrote on Mon, 03 August 2009 19:51

A good column on the subject from a Canadian author:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-rachlis3-2009aug03 ,0,538126.story

I've been thinking of responding, but this article pretty much sums it up.  The sadness I feel when I watch this non-debate.  I can't see how you'll ever get anything done.

------from the article-----
As a Canadian with lots of American friends and relatives, I am saddened that Americans seem incapable of learning them.

Compounding the confusion is traditional American ignorance of what happens north of the border, which makes it easy to mislead people. Boilerplate anti-government rhetoric does the same. The U.S. media, legislators and even presidents have claimed that our "socialized" system doesn't let us choose our own doctors. In fact, Canadians have free choice of physicians. It's Americans these days who are restricted to "in-plan" doctors.

Unfortunately, many Americans won't get to hear the straight goods because vested interests are promoting a caricature of the Canadian experience.
-------end of quote------

The opponents of change drag one Canadian out of the closet (who knows what motivates someone like this) to tell how terrible our system is.  There's always one in every crowd isn't there?  

As for the health ID, in Ontario to get any service you need to show your OHIP card.  The doctor or hospital needs to record it on the file so that they get paid.  

Responding to the stupidness that is out there . . . death panels, nazis, etc., it really isn't even worth the time . . . as Bill Maher said the other night, Americans really are a stupid people.

bblackwood

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »

There are more than a few of us who don't see health care as a 'right', so we really don't want the government in our business in order to offer this 'entitlement' that's not outlined as a Federal power in the US Constitution.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Strummer

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2009, 08:48:16 PM »

If you've ever been to the doctor or been in the hospital you're already in a database shared by insurance companies.

A long time ago the insurance business, not just medical insurance companies learned that sharing information through a third party organization would save them money in fraudulent claims.

jimlongo

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2009, 11:38:38 PM »

So strange that guns are seen as a "right" but health isn't.  

Strummer

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2009, 11:59:21 PM »

Actually, I think the preamble says something about promoting the general welfare?

I heard something in Sunday School about doing unto others as you'd have them do unto you.

I would hope that if hard times came upon me and mine, as they are to millions of people, I could ask you all for help and you would.

Jon Hodgson

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2009, 05:44:29 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 12 August 2009 01:31

There are more than a few of us who don't see health care as a 'right', so we really don't want the government in our business in order to offer this 'entitlement' that's not outlined as a Federal power in the US Constitution.

I don't think it's a right, I think it's a responsibility.

IMHO the question shouldn't be, "do these people have a right to healthcare", it should be "Why is it that people who are willing to give a full day's work cannot afford healthcare, and what are we as a society going to do about it?"

bblackwood

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2009, 09:52:17 AM »

jimlongo wrote on Tue, 11 August 2009 22:38

Well, odd as it may seem, 'arms' are in the US Constitution but health care is not.

Of course an easy argument is that health insurance didn't exist in 1787 - perhaps an amendment is in order. As it stands, this isn't a Federal power, imo.

Strummer wrote on Tue, 11 August 2009 22:59

Actually, I think the preamble says something about promoting the general welfare?

I heard something in Sunday School about doing unto others as you'd have them do unto you.

I would hope that if hard times came upon me and mine, as they are to millions of people, I could ask you all for help and you would.

Indeed, it does, and that clause has been abused for decades to allow growth of the Federal Government beyond the original intent. The general welfare clause is actually  quite limited in scope in the US Constitution - it's not about the Federal Government becoming the all-encompassing safety net that some think it is.

And I'm glad you bring up Sunday School here - I dared not do it myself, for fear of being  railed against for making this a 'religious issue'. But paying taxes so some inefficient government office can anonymously give money to the needy isn't what 'giving to others' is about - true giving is about blessing someone in need. I'd suggest that the general decline of society (which has been studied over and over - how we as a nation are becoming more withdrawn from one another, even our neighbors, it's widespread) is due, in part, to the fact that we (generally speaking) aren't helping each other face to face, but rather relying more and more each day for some 'entity' to do so, whether that be a church or a government office.

Real charity is done face to face where both parties are blessed.

And I know many here know this personally - I'm not suggesting that anyone here falls into the ever increasingly 'reclusive norm'.

Jon Hodgson wrote on Wed, 12 August 2009 04:44

I don't think it's a right, I think it's a responsibility.

IMHO the question shouldn't be, "do these people have a right to healthcare", it should be "Why is it that people who are willing to give a full day's work cannot afford healthcare, and what are we as a society going to do about it?"

I would agree that the government should function to promote the welfare of it's people (within reason). That being said, I don't think this particular approach falls in line with the US Constitution at all.

And like some, I feel that the Constitution is the difference maker. It doesn't really matter to me if something 'seems like a good idea' or was beyond the scope of what the founding fathers could have ever envisioned - unless we change the Constitution (and there are provisions to do so, it's been amended twenty-seven times so far) we have to respect the law. That's what makes us a Representative Republic and not a pure Democracy.

IMO, if we ignore what the Constitution says we may as well throw it out. The previous administration did enough damage to it (as have several in the last 150 years) to last a lifetime.

I've said this over and over, but liberty - true liberty - is dangerous and can be quite ugly if the people are greedy and completely self-absorbed. The US has shown over and over again that we are a giving people - I'd suggest that if the government got out of the way, we the people would do a far better job of helping and equipping folks to improve their lives. I guarantee the almost 20% of my taxes that are spent on entitlement programs would go further if I were the one helping my neighbors.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2009, 09:54:09 AM »

Care to point out the fundamental difference?   They Both relate to  "Property" Rights I believe.

j

JDNelson

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2009, 11:57:34 AM »

seedyunderbelly.com wrote on Wed, 12 August 2009 06:54

Care to point out the fundamental difference?   They Both relate to  "Property" Rights I believe.

j

To assert a "right" to health care implies that you can force another person, whether that be doctor, nurse, medical researcher, whomever, to toil on your behalf without their assent, which plainly is called slavery under common understanding. "Health care" is a service performed and not a tangible resource.  There's not some pile of "health care" sitting in a lot somewhere waiting to be divided up and shipped out.

WRT guns, the right asserted is the right to bear them.  This means the government may not prevent the citizen (within limits) from exercising their right.  To correlate the two, you could say one has every right to seek and obtain the halth care (services) that one desires or requires, but one doesn't have a right to compel service from others without mutual consent.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.