R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidechain eq: analog vs digital and other options  (Read 2646 times)

dietrich

Sidechain eq: analog vs digital and other options
« on: August 11, 2009, 10:33:38 PM »

Did some forum searches but not much detailed posting about eq types and qualities people use for a sidechain eq.

Seems a unit with hp/lf + decent selectable ranges would be handy as a sidechain eq.

Curious what eq is in your rack for the sidechain purposes

D

dcollins

Re: Sidechain eq: analog vs digital and other options
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 02:32:02 AM »

dietrich wrote on Tue, 11 August 2009 19:33

Did some forum searches but not much detailed posting about eq types and qualities people use for a sidechain eq.

Seems a unit with hp/lf + decent selectable ranges would be handy as a sidechain eq.

Curious what eq is in your rack for the sidechain purposes

D

I don't use anything but a simple capacitor side-chain filter, but the quality of the equalizer is not a factor when used in this application.

DC

dietrich

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 08:05:21 AM »

Thanks DC.
I think an older Klark DN410 could fit my needs nicely.

bblackwood

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 09:26:52 AM »

For years I've considered finding a cheap parametric to play with the sidechain in order to help dynamic issues that aren't full bandwidth, but I'm not certain it would work as I think it might and I just haven't had the time to even try it...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Viitalahde

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 09:37:13 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 12 August 2009 14:26

For years I've considered finding a cheap parametric to play with the sidechain in order to help dynamic issues that aren't full bandwidth, but I'm not certain it would work as I think it might and I just haven't had the time to even try it...

I'd think a lo/hi shelving EQ could be pretty intuitive for this. Some German modules might be good, and the newer ones with evil op-amps wouldn't cost that much.
Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180

dietrich

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »

racking a pair of neumann ht series would be nice but that is expensive sidechain eq option.

bblackwood

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 10:26:20 AM »

Viitalahde wrote on Wed, 12 August 2009 08:37

I'd think a lo/hi shelving EQ could be pretty intuitive for this. Some German modules might be good, and the newer ones with evil op-amps wouldn't cost that much.

Yah, I would think that would work fine - I mean more like  a de-esser on steroids, where one can help tame certain bass notes or similar. Somewhat like a multi-band compressor without the crossovers.

I dunno, may sound dreadful but the idea has intrigued me for years...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

dietrich

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 10:32:22 AM »

I am considering a BEHRINGER PEQ2200.

Honestly I feel lose some mastering street cred just having it in the racks!

5 bands and high+low pass filters.

a pair of dbx905 would do the trick too

Mark Donahue

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 10:59:41 AM »

Like DC, I've never used anything but a couple of capacitors and a switch for my side chain EQ.
One thing I've always wondered about is if the latency going through a digital EQ will have any effect on the timing performance of the compressor? My feeling is that it will add a subtle predelay to the compressor. Not really an issue for me here, since I tend to use pretty long attacks on my analog compressor, but for those using very short attacks it might pose a problem.

All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Chief Mastering Engineer
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
http://www.soundmirror.com

livingstone

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 12:03:30 PM »

Viitalahde wrote on Wed, 12 August 2009 08:37

i played nicely with a pair of neumann w492 eqs on my stc8h sidechain,
a bit too much for this use, i agree, but it was allowing some great compression shapings with the combination HPF , shelf and bell applyed to the bass/kick or even sometimes to the snare (adding gain, to control it),
before this i used 2 channels of eq on my metric halo 2882dsp interface and the latency of the process wasn't perceptible.
frederic alstadt
www.angstrom-mastering.com

__________no time_______no sound_________

dietrich

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 05:29:21 PM »

I am going to try a Klark DN405 mono parametric with filters as I run the Summit in link mode which only needs sidechain to input 1.

Tech offered me pair of Filtek BP modules racked for great price but not in summer budget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.