R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Waveburner 1.6 with DDP  (Read 10108 times)

e-cue

Waveburner 1.6 with DDP
« on: July 24, 2009, 12:48:47 PM »

With the release of Logic 9, we see WB 1.6.

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/production-utilities/

"WaveBurner 1.6
This CD mastering and authoring tool is simple enough for you to quickly turn out demo discs, and powerful enough for you to deliver professional premasters, Red Book–standard CDs, and Disc Description Protocol (DDP) files. The professional effects in Logic Studio make it simple to master the perfect disc.

WaveBurner features an intuitive layout with large waveform viewers. Advanced editing and navigation tools. Separate region, track, and plug-in panes. And now graphic parameter automation. WaveBurner 1.6 also has major interface enhancements like Mix Lane, which gives you a real-time graphic visualization of all your edits, including region and parameter changes."

With Logic claiming "full tdm support" (as opposed to half tdm suport, I guess) I wonder if I'll finally be able to use Cranesong Phoenix in Waveburner.  Anyone got any insight?  
http://www.miamimusicstory.com/wp-content/ani_cone.gif

Jerry Tubb

Re: Waveburner 1.6 with DDP
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 11:32:44 PM »

Initial tests of WB 1.6.0 from John McCaig (which I independently verified), indicate that the bit bug is fixed... gone... null tests are perfect.

Cheers - JT

Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

jdg

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 12:47:38 AM »

for pure assembly it seems like a good go.

too bad you cant run an analog loop.

plus seems like there is some serious plug-in bugs in this new verison too.

john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

Matt_G

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 10:52:12 PM »

Volume automation only available through automating a plug-in's gain parameter using the mix lane = lame. Further more the automation doesn't visually coincide very well with the effect of the automation. Why oh why didn't they just make break point volume automation on the region so that it's all together with the fade & gain nodes??

Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia

Andy Krehm

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 12:15:59 PM »

We are about to use WaveBurner 1.6.1 for DDP output for the first time.

Has anyone had any problems with any aspect of this?

Thanks,

brethes

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 02:22:36 PM »

Yes, it is fine with the audio as long as you don't use plug-ins, but it messes the CD-Text info even if you don't enter any info. This is a bug that seems to affect both PPC & Intel platform.

Andy Krehm

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 06:05:15 PM »

brethes wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 14:22

Yes, it is fine with the audio as long as you don't use plug-ins, but it messes the CD-Text info even if you don't enter any info. This is a bug that seems to affect both PPC & Intel platform.

So does it pass the Eclipse test at the plant or do they report an error?

brethes

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 06:49:25 PM »

It comes up as a flag on the Eclipse test and confuses clients who use the Sonoris DDP player as this fails it as well. Our workaround is to create another DDP in Wave Editor and use the CD-Text file it creates to replace the one in the DDP folder from Waveburner. Very long winded but it works... Wish apple would fix that Waveburner bug, tough!

Andy Krehm

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »

brethes wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 18:49

It comes up as a flag on the Eclipse test and confuses clients who use the Sonoris DDP player as this fails it as well. Our workaround is to create another DDP in Wave Editor and use the CD-Text file it creates to replace the one in the DDP folder from Waveburner. Very long winded but it works... Wish apple would fix that Waveburner bug, tough!

Is there some reason you just don't use Wave Editor for DDP creation? Why the workaround?

BTW, the other engineer that works here checked the WB DDP in Sonoris and (I can't remember how he worded this) said it played fine but asked for all the fields in the CD-TEXT (composer, etc). But he said it properly displayed the ones we entered which are song title and artist.

brethes

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 06:23:57 AM »

Just find Wave Editor clumsy to use and don't quite trust the audio integrity as it converts everything processed to 32 bit. So just borrow the CD-Text file created from it to replace the faulty one in the Waveburner image as I don\t want to have to explain to the client or the plant why there is something slightly wrong with the CD-Text titles (it's usually the last title that gets mangled)!

Don't understand why Apple can't be bothered to fix this as otherwise Waveburner DDP works great for us!

Andy Krehm

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 12:19:24 PM »

brethes wrote on Thu, 13 January 2011 06:23

Just find Wave Editor clumsy to use and don't quite trust the audio integrity as it converts everything processed to 32 bit. So just borrow the CD-Text file created from it to replace the faulty one in the Waveburner image as I don\t want to have to explain to the client or the plant why there is something slightly wrong with the CD-Text titles (it's usually the last title that gets mangled)!

Don't understand why Apple can't be bothered to fix this as otherwise Waveburner DDP works great for us!

Thanks,

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 08:45:15 AM »

Hey Andy, just connecting the dots here...

Couldn't you use WB to create the DDP as normal, then open that with the Sonoris DDP Creator (or Wavelab 7, or Sonic PMCD 3.3) to update the CD-Text, and send that "refreshed" DDP set to the plant?

Seems as though some of the newest generation OSX DAW apps are finally getting the pita CD-Text formatted correctly for the Eclipse systems at replication.

Cheers, JT
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Andy Krehm

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »

Jerry Tubb wrote on Sat, 15 January 2011 08:45

Hey Andy, just connecting the dots here...

Couldn't you use WB to create the DDP as normal, then open that with the Sonoris DDP Creator (or Wavelab 7, or Sonic PMCD 3.3) to update the CD-Text, and send that "refreshed" DDP set to the plant?

Seems as though some of the newest generation OSX DAW apps are finally getting the pita CD-Text formatted correctly for the Eclipse systems at replication.

Cheers, JT

Hey JT!

Yes, that is what we are going to do but probably with Wave Editor. We traded in PMCD for SB a while ago but when looked at it the other night, didn't seem to have the DDP component (even tho we are supposed to have it)

However, it could very well operator error. The other engineer that works here (who is a computer whiz and my tech support guy) has a little trouble getting his head around SB (as I do) and he's the one who creates the DDPs here!

aleatoric

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 08:14:51 PM »

brethes wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 14:22

Is this CD Text bug just with DDP's or Red-Book CD's as well?  I have burned many master CD's with WaveBurner that contained embedded CD Text and have never had any replication plants (or clients) notify me of CD Text errors.  I have yet to create a DDP image in WaveBurner with embedded CD Text.  Is this bug just in DDP creation or is it there when burning Red-Book CD's as well and it has just not been caught or brought to my attention yet?  

brethes

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 07:15:44 AM »

Don't use Waveburner for Red Book but as far as I know, this bug only affects the text document included in the DDP image folder, causing a flag on the Eclipse at the factory and confusion with clients using the Sonoris DDP Player
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.