R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help on PT....which one?  (Read 3651 times)

judah

help on PT....which one?
« on: July 13, 2004, 10:25:07 AM »

Hey all,
I'm currently a DP4 user. Very happy with it but lately a lot of customers asked for PT. I use a G4/400 and so far I've been able to get up to more than 50 tracks per song out of it.
Anyway, I always knew about PT but never looked into it and right now I'm very confused. I saw D24, Mix, Mix+, HD and a lot others. I just need 24 tracks (maximum 32), 24/44.1, and be able to use some plugs. Which system should I look into? I've been told I should be fine with an old PT system no the latest HD 'cause I won't use it 100%. I don't use MIDI. It's all abotu straight r'n'r, drums bass guitars vocals and some overdubs.
Please help.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

j.hall

Re: help on PT....which one?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 12:28:36 PM »

is the Digi 002 to weak for your application?

spankenstein

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 02:11:28 PM »

Why are you goin to ProTools instead of sticking with DP? I was just about to buy a digi002 but didnt' because of a rediculous compatability problem (SiS chipset in my computer).

judah

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 08:26:37 AM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 14 July 2004 18:28

is the Digi 002 to weak for your application?

Hi J.,
you tell me. I'm no PT geek so....
No TDM with PT LE right? That's kind a bum isn't it? But I saw the Digi002 bundle, it comes with all the BombF and some more plugs. Sounds intersting.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL

Dolly Parton

j.hall

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 02:27:10 PM »

i don't know much about the 002

if you forsee getting lots of work due to offering PT alone

i'd honestly consider just diving into HD, or mix+

you can use the hardware with your dp rig so switching back and forth would be relatively seamless

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 08:45:27 AM »

You should ask the clients that request "Pro Tools" if they've ever worked with the system.  The "P-T" brand name has become synonymous with DAW [like Kleenex has to facial tissues and Xerox has to photocopies] which doesn't necessarily mean that the prospective client has a hardon for P-T... it just means that the prosepective client wants to have the slice/dice and abuse capability close at hand.

If they do indeed mean P-T then a used version with some Apogee hardware is probably the way to go... frankly, the MOTU/DP4 thing you're currently running will benefit greatly from a converter set upgrade as well.

Best of luck with it.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

judah

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 03:12:31 AM »

Fletcher wrote on Sun, 18 July 2004 14:45

You should ask the clients that request "Pro Tools" if they've ever worked with the system.  The "P-T" brand name has become synonymous with DAW [like Kleenex has to facial tissues and Xerox has to photocopies] which doesn't necessarily mean that the prospective client has a hardon for P-T... it just means that the prosepective client wants to have the slice/dice and abuse capability close at hand.

If they do indeed mean P-T then a used version with some Apogee hardware is probably the way to go... frankly, the MOTU/DP4 thing you're currently running will benefit greatly from a converter set upgrade as well.

Best of luck with it.

hi fletcher, thanks a lot for your input. yeah, maybe you're right they talk about shit they don't know at all. it's just a matter of having a digital rig and that's PT for them.
anyway I do use RME ADI8pro A/D converter and found them to be much much better than the stock Motu converter. Especially on the width of the stereo image and the depth of the stereo field. I'd like to upgrade to something better but it's really impossible at the moment.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL

Dolly Parton

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 09:12:41 AM »

Bro... a poke in the eye with a blunt stick is usually preferable to evey MOTU converter I've heard so far... frankly I've been a little less than impressed with the RME stuff too... but as always, YMMV
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

arimaka

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 02:59:05 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Mon, 19 July 2004 09:12

Bro... a poke in the eye with a blunt stick is usually preferable to evey MOTU converter I've heard so far... frankly I've been a little less than impressed with the RME stuff too... but as always, YMMV

I agree about RME and MOTU stuff... I even like the sound of the motu192 better than rme stuff but still nothing to phone home about...

Why jump into PT? I think it would be better for you to upgrade your conveters and get something like a UAD-1 card if you need more processing... powercore also works but I like UAD-1 more... great plugs for great price and awesome dsp power. Like fletcher said, if you dont have clients that specifically ask for PT then you don't really need it.

I work in Logic Pro every day and love it... for music production it's a lot more friendly than PT imho... I love PT for post because it's very flexible...

for the money you'll spend on a mix plus it's better go get a bigger computer (i used to run 80 tracks in logic with my G4 933 single... I don't even know how many I can run with my G5 dual 2.0 mk2 now... but it's not even an issue)... or get better converters, i would stay away from 888's and all of that... plus plugs for PT are expensive... for $900 you can get UAD-1 card with a bunch of plugs

just my 2 cents
-----------------------------------------------------
Manuel Jimenez
Recording/Mixing Engineer
manuel@arimaka.com
857-891-7321
Boston, MA

Fibes

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 03:21:18 PM »

I'm going to grab a stick and poke it around in defense of the Motu HD192. It ain't in the same leaugue as the lavry, cranesong& Apogee camp but it's the best bang for the buck IMO. I'd be curious to hear it side by side with a Digi 192. I bet it would be pretty darn close, not that that's saying anything.

BTW that guy who apes the Peter Gabriel character around here sure likes 'em. Not that he's worth his salt behind a desk
or could drum his way out of a stick of beef jerky after a three minute hunger strike. I'll prepare for the rocket attack after i return from Peenemunde.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

jakabo

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 01:45:11 PM »

OK, converters and "PT or not 2PT" aside...can anyone give a brief rundown of the various versions (as in the original question)?

I've never cared, but am getting close to "the" decision.

TDM
D24
MIX
MIX+
HD

???

hulp?

thanks
ken

j.hall

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 04:10:23 PM »

mix, mix+ and HD are all TDM systems.....

hardware, sample rates, software support, and what OS it can run on are the major differences

drew

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 09:57:07 PM »

Technically HD is TDM II. not sure of the differences though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 17 queries.