R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: the REVISED Soundelux / Bock iFet7  (Read 12116 times)

J.J. Blair

the REVISED Soundelux / Bock iFet7
« on: July 08, 2009, 07:20:35 PM »

If you weren't aware of the iFet 7, when it was in production, it was a fantastic mic that was based on the U47Fet, but had two completely different amplifier circuits.  One was based on the Fet47, and the other was supposed to approximate something closer to a U87, according to the distributor.  

I have one of these, which originally came equipped with a Haun made K47 type capsule, but I fitted mine with a Neumann K47.  (I never got to do a direct comparison between the two capsules, but this review is about the forthcoming revision.)

Recently, David Bock outfitted my mic with an update, which he plans on doing to the iFet7, and then reintroducing into production.  I think this is a great idea, as there are no real Fet47 type mics out there, yet there is a demand for the originals, which are going for as much as $4,500 on eBay.

In the update, there is a completely new AMI/TAB transformer.  The circuits for both modes have been updated, the grounding scheme for the PCBs, and a few areas that were common customer complaints in the original build have been addressed and improved, such as the tension device on the arm.

In initial listening to the update in "i" mode, I find it to be much more in keeping with a Fet47, except the low end response is even better.  When compared against an M49, the color above 800Hz was very similar.  The lows are a a little tighter, and more compact.  Some of the lesser low end might be a result of my K47 capsule, which does have a tad less bass than most K47s.  Nonetheless, I found the bass better than the typical Fet47, which rolls off after 1kHz, steadily decreasing as the frequencies lower.  But the low end in this mic is crisp, and well defined.  

The really interesting thing to me is the difference in the "Voice" mode, which is the other amplifier, from the original build.  Before, it seemed to act more like a high pass type circuit, in terms of just having less lows.  Now, the whole tone completely changes, and the highs are more present, and the whole top end and presence has a real bloom to it, that was not in the first model.  A very pleasant surprise, and upgrade from the previous version.  

I don't know when Bock Audio plans to release the new iFet7, but I think if the Haun K47 capsule, which I will have to give a listen to, is as good as their other capsules, this will be a preferable option to the Fet47.  I don't find the Fet47 to be a really pleasant sounding mic, even though it is excellent in certain situations.  The iFet7 not only is giving me the same, if not better results, in the typical Fet47 uses, but the "V" mode adds a whole new dimension, that I'm sure engineers will like4 on a whole host of sources, including vocals.  This mic will probably be a big hit, and I'm for sure going to recommend it.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

Re: the REVISED Soundelux / Bock iFet7
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:03:26 PM »

David does great work.

Have you tried it on bass drum?  That's one of my many (main) uses for the original N 47fet.

Future_One

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 12:45:38 AM »

Sounds cool.

Have you tried the U195?  I heard that it also sounds similar to a U87?

I can't hear you.  Can you run your speech through a limiter for me?

ratite

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:31:42 AM »

JJ,will the update be offered to other current owners of Soundelux iFET7's?Any idea of cost?
Richard Horner
Unaffiliated knob twiddler.

"Nietzsche played the piano endlessly in his eleven years of madness.Once,at least,with his elbows."

kats

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 10:12:57 AM »

I have the same question as above. Also, it's been a while since I have used the ifet7, but isn't the "instrument" mode the one one with the hi pass?
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

J.J. Blair

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 02:47:35 PM »

I used the iFet7 on bass drum on every session, prior to this.  I have not have a chance to use it in that capacity yet, but plan on doing so.

In terms of whether or not a retrofit will be available to previous owners, I have no idea.  This may have been available to me, because I do some beta testing for David.  I think it would be cool if it's available to others, though.  

BTW, one big difference between the Fet47 and the iFet7 is that there are no pads.  And frankly, you don't need them.  The headroom is so much greater than the Fet47's.  Also, David has implemented such an improvement to the performance of the basic amplifier, that I'm sure if the original Neumann engineers had thought of it, we would think much differently about U87s and Fet47s, and be using them and enjoying them in more situations.  While keeping the same sonic characteristics, there is less distortion and improved headroom.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

J.J. Blair

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 02:55:33 PM »

kats wrote on Thu, 09 July 2009 07:12

... isn't the "instrument" mode the one one with the hi pass?

First off, it's not a high pass.  It's a different amplifier.  And no.  Typically, the instrument mode has the more full range sound, and the V mode had what seemed like a high pass.  In the new mic, the bass doesn't really attenuate in the V mode, but the highs open up dramatically.  David says it's due to the way the different circuit loads the transformer.

In other mics, where there is a voice and instrument (or "music") mode, it is indeed a bass attenuating circuit, sometimes through using a simple high pass filter circuit, or in the case of the Sony C37A, by increasing the capacitance of the output stage, before hitting the transformer.  In some of the dynamic mics that have this, it is done acoustically.  I'm not sure how Sennheiser employs theirs in the 421 and 441, etc.  Don't have  a schematic.
studio info

kats

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 09:47:44 PM »

I used the term "Hi Pass" because that is how you referenced it. Maybe I'm nuts, but I distinctly remember the Soundelux website showing the frequency response graphs of the ifet7 modes where the "I" mode had a rolled off  bass response compared to the "V" mode.

I know exactly what you mean where "M" usually means a wider response which is exactly why I thought the ifet7 was unusual in that regard. I'm looking for it on the net but can't find it, that's why I ask.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967

J.J. Blair

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 12:56:50 AM »

Tony, I just wanted to clarify, in case anybody misunderstood me, that it's not a hi pass circuit differentiating the i and V settings.  What I was trying to say before was that it seemed more akin to a high pass, where now it's a completely different mic when you switch it.

As far as the graph, it may have been mislabeled, if it was in fact as you remember.  My experience as a user would contradict that, and even David agreed with my impression.
studio info

tuchel

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 01:10:44 PM »

I own a pair of these, purchased after the demise of the Soundelux branding, from two different sources and with sequential serial numbers for what that's worth (what were the chances?) and I use it in the V mode a lot on vocals - I was having a hard time finding the right mic for a singer I use a lot and this one holds it own in a way a u87 or a u67 might.  The top end is silky and easy on the ears.
So my request to JJ is to expand on his description of the change of the top end after the mod.
I could stand to have the top end of the sound to be more "pronounced" but I'm not sure I want it "different".  I really like the Haun capsule, and I generally think this is a highly underrated microphone.  It really has that diffused top end, it really sounds good on everyone, and most important, the only classic sounding mic on really bright singers I could find.

I hope Bock doesn't re-introduce it, it has become like a secret weapon around here you can't readily get....

tuchel

mdbeh

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 04:18:51 PM »

ratite wrote on Thu, 09 July 2009 08:31

JJ,will the update be offered to other current owners of Soundelux iFET7's?Any idea of cost?

I just wanted to add my interest to this.  My stock iFET7 is already a very useful mic, but I'd love a chance to take it to the next level.
Brian Harper
Chicago, IL

J.J. Blair

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 08:40:10 PM »

I don't know how to further expand on it.  I am not able to A/B it against the previous version, so I am going from memory.  I don't recall the top end being that different in the first version.  I recall most of the difference being in the mids and lows.  

In comparison to the i mode, the V mode now sounds sparkling, and much more present.  There is a noticeable boost in the high mids and highs.  I don't know how else to describe it.  
studio info

Deuce 225

Neumann U47 FET i - P48 ?
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 09:47:55 PM »

Does anyone know how the Neumann U47 FET i - P48 differs from a Neumann U47 FET ? Also does anyone have any experience with the U47 FET i - P48 ? Especially for mic'ing bass drums ?
Best,

Tim Cochran

Chris Moore

Re: Neumann U47 FET i - P48 ?
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 12:55:01 PM »

Deuce 225 wrote on Tue, 21 July 2009 21:47

Does anyone know how the Neumann U47 FET i - P48 differs from a Neumann U47 FET ? Also does anyone have any experience with the U47 FET i - P48 ? Especially for mic'ing bass drums ?

The only difference is that the FET i has an XLR connector. Sonically they are otherwise identical. It's one of my favorite bass drum mics, also good for bass amp, percussion, and a few other things.
Chris Moore

J.J. Blair

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »

On all Neumanns, the designation "i" stood for "international," and indicated an XLR, as C17 just stated.  AKG usd the designation "e" for "export," to differentiate between mics with a Tuchel connector and XLR, like the C-451E, for example.  
studio info

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.