R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Back In Black'  (Read 25094 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: 'Back In Black'
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 05:00:53 PM »

I read an interview in one of the guitar mags with Angus a couple years ago.  He stated that in the studio they used Marshal 2x12 combos.  I seem to recall JMP45, but I could be wrong about the model.  Definitely a combo, though.  

The record does not sound like a 4x12, to me.  It does not have that standing wave that I hear on a closed back cabinet.  And it certainly does not sound like  JCM800.  The distortion is too natural and farty to be a JCM.  

The amazing thing about these records is I always feel like I can hear the mahogany in Angus' guitar.  If you've played enough old Gibson SGs and LP juniors and specials, as I have, you become very familiar with the resonance and overtone of these guitars.  It's totally in the wood.  It's so light and porous.  As a finish carpenter, I've done my whole home in mahogany, and it really has such a completely different feel and resonance from the other woods typically used in guitar making. It also absorbs lacquer so much more deeply than other woods, because of its porousness.  

One of my complaints with JCMs has always been that it does not matter if you're playing a Gibson or a Charvel, it's going to sound pretty much the same, because the overdrive of that amp is such a dominant characteristic.  It just eats up so many of the natural overtones of the guitar.  That to me is another big clue that this is not the JCM amp, because I can hear the mahogany.

Feel free to flame away at these assertions, but that's the only way to describe what I'm hearing.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »

Found the post about the AC/DC gear list:

I went through some old files here, and didn't yet locate anything from "Back In Black," but I did find what gear AC/DC brought with them here for tracking during 1985-86, produced by George Young.

Here is an excerpt from the equipment list:

2 Marshall 200 watt heads
23 Marshall 100 watt heads
1 Marshall 50 watt head
3 Marshall 50 watt Combos
1 Marshall 8 x 10" cabinet
10 Marshall 4 x 12" cabinets
2 Ampeg 300 watt Bass heads
1 Crate Amp

7 Gibson SG guitars
1 Epiphone SG guitar
1 Gibson Firebird Gitar
1 Pink ESP Strat guitar
1 Gibson "Custom" guitar
1 Gibson Dove guitar
2 JD Custom Firebird guitars
1 Gretsch Roc Jet guitar
1 Gretsch Firebird guitar [?]
1 Squire P bass
1 Fender P bass
1 Williams Custom bass

1 Sonar drum kit w/2 Sonar snares
2 Gretsch snares

There was also lots of the normal little stuff, leads, etc.

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/9749/0/0/6 490/

leonardo valvassori

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 08:18:19 PM »

Cool gear list.

We have a Marshall 8x10 cab here:--it needs a little love, but boy it's got shall we say 'a lot' of everything.

As an aside, we also have a one of those rarely seen Marshall slant 4x12 same size as the 8x10 that sounds deadly:--projects wonderfully and has a tighter lowend then a regular 4x12. With a 'Paul and a Plexi a very dry Paul Kossof kind of tone.

I too love mahogany:--my T-Bird is all mahogany and my Wal basses have mahogany cores.

I just love amps and instruments. More than recording gear.
Leonardo Valvassori

trock

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 10:31:25 PM »

Hey Terry

Was Chris Blackwell around when BIB was recorded? just wondering if he came by to visit or might have been around then? and i know it was mutt and Tony but who was the house engineer at the time?

Have you ever come across any pics of the sessions?

I know Mutt doesn't do interviews but have you ever been able to discuss the session with AC/DC with him?

thanks!

marcel

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 11:42:08 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sat, 11 July 2009 15:24

23 Marshall 100 watt heads

Really?  You'd think a guy could narrow it down a little...
Best, Marcel

J.J. Blair

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 06:42:23 PM »

For that list, I think they just showed up with their whole deal.  Malcolm plays those 200W heads on stage.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

trock

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »

the pink strat always throws me

MagnetoSound

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 07:49:40 AM »

Someone is missing from this thread. Anyone in Winnipeg know the score?

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

wwittman

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »

I know Mutt said he went through some absurd number (I seem to remember 85) of Marshall heads looking for the "right one" for Pyromania

I'm not nearly that obsessive (or patient!) but I know from my own experience that we had to have 6 or 8 heads sent from the factory in Milton Keynes to us in London for the second Outfield record, just trying to find two that sounded close to ALIKE, let alone extraordinary.

So 85 different ones doesn't surprise me in some ways.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

marcel

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 09:58:53 PM »

MagnetoSound wrote on Mon, 13 July 2009 04:49

Yeah, absurdly long posts or not, I've been wondering about that guy.

Maybe he's busy auditioning Marshall heads...

Anybody know?
Best, Marcel

cgc

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 10:53:23 PM »

That one Crate amp made all the difference.  The Marshall's are just for show, behind the scenes there is one 1x12 practice amp delivering those killer tones.

jetbase

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2009, 11:05:17 PM »

cgc wrote on Thu, 16 July 2009 12:53

That one Crate amp made all the difference.  The Marshall's are just for show, behind the scenes there is one 1x12 practice amp delivering those killer tones.

Maybe it was actually an amp crate. They had to get all those amps there somehow!
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

Strummer

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2009, 01:13:47 AM »

marcel wrote on Wed, 15 July 2009 21:58

Anybody know?

No posts or visits since May. He was seriously discouraged, looking at his member page isn't cheery.

I hope he's okay.

rankus

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2009, 01:56:02 PM »

Strummer wrote on Wed, 15 July 2009 22:13

marcel wrote on Wed, 15 July 2009 21:58

Anybody know?

No posts or visits since May. He was seriously discouraged, looking at his member page isn't cheery.

I hope he's okay.

Me too

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

J.J. Blair

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2009, 03:49:39 PM »

While I hope nothing is wrong, I can't say I'm holding my breath until he comes back.  Both he and another combative poster have left this summer, and I'm enjoying myself a little more around here.
studio info

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.