R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: VF14: $6000.- "Buy It Now" : Where Will It End? (hint: not at $6,000.-!)  (Read 15914 times)

brett

Re: VF14: $6000.- "Buy It Now" : Where Will It End? (hint: not at $6,000.-!)
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2009, 02:32:19 PM »

Has anyone thought that maybe they will not provide it to a technically proficient person such as JJ or Klaus for the following reasons:

1. it is good

2. it is easy to make

Trade secret! If it is sounding good in the mic and consists of an (existing, available) glass tube with resistors, the chances are someone like yourself could easily start making them as well. And there goes their market advantage...

J.J. Blair

« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2009, 02:42:14 PM »

Please don't do Klaus the disservice of mentioning us in the same sentence.  I'm like Mickey Mouse as the sorcerer's apprentice, in comparison.

But anyway, since the cat is out of the bag, and pics were already posted of what is purported to be a prototype with a 408a, there's no danger of anybody trying to copy it who doesn't already know.

Secondly, T-USA claims that the non-prototype versions use a very rare tube that they have cornered the market on, so others don't have access to the materials to copy it.

Personally, I really don't care if these have a glass tube inside, and potentially will only last a few years, as opposed to the 20+ years you can get out of a real VF14.  I only am interested in whether they sound the same as a VF14, and if it sounds better than using an EF14 with one of the AMI-TAB BV8s that's frequency balanced to work with the EF14.  As far as I can tell, having heard the Wunder CM7, the latter is currently the best option for people who don't want to spend $2,000 on a VF14.

But I am genuinely interested in whether or not they have found a viable solution.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

brett

« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2009, 12:23:30 AM »

I heard the CM7, didn't care for it as a u47. Was a great sounding mic but in an open modern way. Too fast and articulate. Thought the Tele U47 even with an EF14 sounded more like a 47, and the Blue retrofitted mic just sounded terrible to me. Just my 2 cents. Even with an ef14, I'd still rather have a Tele U47 over the other reproductions out there.  

J.J. Blair

« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2009, 12:32:56 AM »

When you say, "The Tele U47 with an EF14," are you speaking of the Tele USA U47?

I don't know which capsule was in the CM7 you heard, but the one my friend owns was A/B'd directly against my Neumann U47, and I thought it was remarkably similar, when using the same capsule.  It's possible the CM7 you heard had a more forward sounding capsule.  "Open and modern" should not be anything electronic with that mic.  That was likely a capsule choice, and if you are familiar with Wunder, you can order a variety of different style M7 capsules, depending on how you want it to sound.  

The Tele USA U47s have a number of issues, that I was unhappy with, that I'm wondering if they ever addressed.  I have not seen one that was shipped in the last year, and I discussed these issues with them, and I know they were interested in making those changes.  But last I saw and heard, I preferred the Wunder, both sonically and technically.  The biggest problem for me, and I don't know if they are still doing it, is T-USA's use of electrolytic caps for the 1
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

brett

« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2009, 12:53:35 AM »

yes Tele USA.  Not sure on the CM7 capsule. Sounded amazing just didn't sound like a 47. Had a lot more top end.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2009, 11:27:08 AM »

Too much top end in that mic would be the capsule, IMO.  And like I said, whoever owned it might have requested a capsule like that.

One thing to take into account is that one of the favorite U47s to rent in town is the Design FX 47.  People go nuts over that one.  It's very airy, and brighter than the average U47.  That's how some people want to hear a U47.  
studio info

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2009, 01:01:53 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 04 August 2009 08:27

(...) one of the favorite U47s to rent in town is the Design FX 47.  People go nuts over that one.  It's very airy, and brighter than the average U47.  That's how some people want to hear a U47.  

But: capsule, circuitry, transformer and tube of that mic are ALL ORIGINAL STOCK!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2009, 06:34:30 PM »

Klaus, is the airiness in that mic due to the capsule, or due to some wizardry of yours?
studio info

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2009, 11:06:43 PM »

A lot of minute measures added up to an audible whole.  But you are right: excellence in a mic is never possible without a capsule that has sex appeal.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 16 queries.