R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG C451B  (Read 8830 times)

Jan Folkson

Re: AKG C451B
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2004, 07:06:24 PM »

I've got a pair of the 'new' 451s and usually use them with an Avalon 2022.  Used mostly on acoustic guitar, percussion and drum overheads, they provide a beautiful sound, not harsh in the least.
- Jan Folkson
http://www.janfolkson.com

Noiseless pickups?  What's the point?

judah

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2004, 03:23:00 AM »

bobkatz wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 20:37

judah wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 02:29

Yeah, sorry, you got me.  Smile
BTW, I switched to SM900 and SM911 for quite a while now and have yet to find a fully satisfying calibration. I'm still getting too much noise. I know it's analog, I'm very young but tape noise it's no problem to me. But the level I'm getting is defintely too high. I remember you were speakin' higly on teh Basf/Emtec stuff during the good 'ol days at RAP. What calibration do you use? And yeah, right now I'm 355nWb/m with the SM900. Mostly at 30IPS.

R.

Too much noise?  What kind of music?
Two track?  1/4" or 1/2"?  Or Multitrack?  

BK[/quote]

Hi Bob,
yeah it's a multitrack situation. Tascam ATR80. The machine is in fine condition, cleaned up every morning. I'm having some problem because I'm running it unbalanced. My desk is a D&R 4000 that has a rather strange configuration. It can accept both +4 and -10 on the same 1/4" tape return and tape out. Anyway, there must be something in my calibration that prevents the machine to sound at her best.
BTW, I'm usually working with no more than 16 tracks even if I have 24. ANd when I'm saying there's too much noise, I mean that is very audible even with just one track. Very audible.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

bobkatz

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 03:11:24 PM »

judah wrote on Fri, 26 November 2004 03:23

Hi Bob,
yeah it's a multitrack situation. Tascam ATR80. The machine is in fine condition, cleaned up every morning.

Hi, Judah. Is this a 2" machine? I didn't know Tascam made any wide format machines. If it's less than 2" for 24 track you will need noise reduction.

But regardless, you wrote...

Quote:

BTW, I'm usually working with no more than 16 tracks even if I have 24. ANd when I'm saying there's too much noise, I mean that is very audible even with just one track. Very audible.

R.

If it's a 1" machine without noise reduction, the noise on one track should be "audible" but not very audible. If it's 2" 24 track at 30 IPS, the noise on one track should be even less, but still audible at normal gains. Unless you're doing very hard rock and saturating, I always found 24 track even at 30 IPS to be iffy in terms of noise. But that was in the days of grand master at +3 over 250 nW/M. Now with GP 9 if you push it a little more you can get a better SNR (I would never go above +6 over 250 if using a VU meter).

Anyway, if you really have a 2" machine and the noise is bothersome on one track, I suggest you try John Klett's forum for some step-by-step maintenance approaches. Have you demagnetized the heads and guides properly with an Annis brand demagnetizer?  (Accept no substitutes, Annis is the only brand to consider).

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

judah

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2004, 04:43:51 AM »

bobkatz wrote on Sat, 27 November 2004 21:11

judah wrote on Fri, 26 November 2004 03:23

Hi Bob,
yeah it's a multitrack situation. Tascam ATR80. The machine is in fine condition, cleaned up every morning.

Hi, Judah. Is this a 2" machine? I didn't know Tascam made any wide format machines. If it's less than 2" for 24 track you will need noise reduction.

But regardless, you wrote...

Quote:

R.

If it's a 1" machine without noise reduction, the noise on one track should be "audible" but not very audible. If it's 2" 24 track at 30 IPS, the noise on one track should be even less, but still audible at normal gains. Unless you're doing very hard rock and saturating, I always found 24 track even at 30 IPS to be iffy in terms of noise. But that was in the days of grand master at +3 over 250 nW/M. Now with GP 9 if you push it a little more you can get a better SNR (I would never go above +6 over 250 if using a VU meter).

Anyway, if you really have a 2" machine and the noise is bothersome on one track, I suggest you try John Klett's forum for some step-by-step maintenance approaches. Have you demagnetized the heads and guides properly with an Annis brand demagnetizer?  (Accept no substitutes, Annis is the only brand to consider).

BK

Hi Bob,
thanks for your input. In fact it's the only 2" Tascam ever produced. It's a nice machine, very easy on manteinance, but the calibration process is not very friendly. I'm using SM900 lately and with about 2dB of overbias, calibrated at 355nWb/m is lamost impossible to bring the recording level to zero. Some tracks do some others don't. And that
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.