R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ribbon Mics and Drum SPLs  (Read 1757 times)

Chad Sims

Ribbon Mics and Drum SPLs
« on: November 25, 2004, 07:14:58 PM »

I have heard many on this forum mention again and again that they use ribbon mics as overheads to great success.  

What I was wondering is with some of the newer ribbon mics such as the Royers and Coles is this always safe.  These new ribbons are supposed to to be able to handle much higher SPLs than older ribbon mics, but would you use them on any drummer with any kit or only softer playing jazz type drummers.  

Just asking because I mainly record rather heavy rock bands and wanted to know if purchasing a set of these mics would be wise or are the ribbons gonna get blown out in a week.

Dougtune

Re: Ribbon Mics and Drum SPLs
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 01:10:23 AM »

Ribbons can handle high spl's, even the old RCA's.  It's wind that damages them.

judah

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 03:49:42 AM »

Chad Sims wrote on Fri, 26 November 2004 01:14

I have heard many on this forum mention again and again that they use ribbon mics as overheads to great success.  

What I was wondering is with some of the newer ribbon mics such as the Royers and Coles is this always safe.  These new ribbons are supposed to to be able to handle much higher SPLs than older ribbon mics, but would you use them on any drummer with any kit or only softer playing jazz type drummers.  

Just asking because I mainly record rather heavy rock bands and wanted to know if purchasing a set of these mics would be wise or are the ribbons gonna get blown out in a week.

Knowing that Royer would repair my beloved R121 if the ribbin breaks the first time I used mine INSIDE a kick drum few days after I got my hand on it. With a foam filer and a pop filter in front if it. No problem. It took a stupid singer to blow it off. "Hey! Is this thing on?" Then a huge blast of air noise came thru the speakers. Time for repair.
If you take a look at Royer site there's some picture of a drum set with ribbon mics all around it, on the snare too. Go figure.

index.php/fa/419/0/

Cheers.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 10:59:09 AM »

I do mostly "loud Rawk" kinda drum recordings... and I use ribbons for overheads all the time... usually the Royer SF-12 but I have a couple of prototype "Dickensheid" [I'm sure I spelled that wrong] mics that get used a lot, as well as Coles 4038's and my new favorite the Coles 4040.

I have 3x Royer SF-1's that also get used in all kinds of applications that don't involve a lot of wind.

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 23 queries.