R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can anyone help me? im a bit confused  (Read 1610 times)

Voodoo

can anyone help me? im a bit confused
« on: June 25, 2009, 10:58:02 AM »

Hi i am new to this forum. i was wandering if somone could clear some things up for me i was looking to possibly start a small studio mostly for tracking drums.

i was thinking of getting a toft atb 16 or a Trident 8T and was thinking about using logic. (any thoughts yes, no?)

what seems to be confusing me are pre amps and ADAT.

i know i need ADAT I/Os but im not entirely sure how to connect them to the desk or computer.

also the mic pre amps i am not sure of at all for connecting them.

so what i am basically asking is how to i get the mixing desk and computer to be friends?

P.S sorry if this is the wrong place to post this

thanks

Mike

mixwell

Re: can anyone help me? im a bit confused
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 11:38:16 AM »

Hi Mike, You're not in the wrong place! The FW and ADAT/SPDIF board for the ATB is vaporware, and not a real product yet. Not sure if that's the vein of your question. You need AD/DA converters with the proper interfacing method of choice, to get in and out of the computer. If you have ADAT converters, you can use the RME HDPSe RayDAT PCIe Card to interface them with your host computer. This is just one option.

Interfacing these boxes is dependent on what converters you choose, as well as computer choice and "operational preference". There are a myriad of ways to interface AD/DA converters with a computer. If you have a 16 Channel ATB, with 16 Mic amps and 16 Monitor Returns, you would get 16 channels of AD/DA, connected to your computer however they need to be connected, AES, ADAT, FW whatever, and then you send the 16 Direct out's of the microphone preamp's into the AD converter. You then use the 16 Channels of DA converters to monitor the result though the monitor section of the console. During mix time, you can hit "IP flip" which flips the monitor path into the "channel" path and puts the returns on the big faders for mixing.

Voodoo

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:57:14 AM »

Thanks for clearing that up for me

mike

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 04:29:39 PM »

Hi Mike,  There are really so many ways to do it,  You will have to decide on the tinterfacing/cabling after you know exactly what you will be interfacing.

The computer has some "ins and outs"  analog that you buy in a box or rack form-  and Make sure you get what is working good for your particulat interface-   They can  have the "ADAT" type of optical abilities  or it can be simply a number of analog connections  to send out of the computer into the console  and maybe back in to the computer..

I am not sure why you would need the ADAT type of box.

The you have cables  that go from your mic into your mic pre(or console)  
and from there into the Input side of your convertor box  this enables you to record into the computer.

I hope this was not to remdial for you  I hope it helps

The good news  is that the people ho can sell you the stuff can be very helpful in putting together a whole system  with all of the proper connections-

good luck  -j
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.