R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix  (Read 2801 times)

Daniel Farris

Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
« on: October 01, 2009, 06:11:30 PM »

In the rush to compress the living shit out of everything, they must have forgotten to make a vocal-up mix.

DF

SingSing

Re: Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 06:21:01 PM »

Daniel Farris wrote on Thu, 01 October 2009 18:11

In the rush to compress the living shit out of everything, they must have forgotten to make a vocal-up mix.

DF

I like how they sculpted the mix around the lead vox while preserving intelligible lyrics. A clever bit of mixing wizardry there IMHO.

It's definitely leaning towards a flatline on some songs, but I think it sounds just fine overall. In fact, golden compared to most other things these days.

All the best,

Stefan
SingSing

starfireIV

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:37:51 PM »

There's definitely not a lot of dynamic range - doesn't sound like a band in a room, for sure. But I love the songs, and like the sounds as well. Doesn't sound harsh to me in the way that a lot of modern super-compressed stuff does. They incorporate loops into songs in interesting ways, rather than building a song around a loop.

It has me rethinking guitar sounds, too. As a dyed-in-the-wool low-wattage vintage amp fanatic, I never go for a high-headroom clean sound, but these guys have clean sounds that make me want to give it a try.

I just saw them at ACL Fest here in Austin. Great set, and the drummer is truly amazing. The singer could benefit from some rock star lessons, though.

-Bill

Daniel Farris

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 02:16:20 PM »

I wouldn't even bother to complain if it weren't a record I liked and actually wanted to listen to. I really do like it... I would pay $50 for an unmastered version of it.

DF

pete andrews

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »

i'm with you on this one daniel
-pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.