R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Egnater Rebel 20 head and 1x12 cab  (Read 6366 times)

JGauthier

Egnater Rebel 20 head and 1x12 cab
« on: June 17, 2009, 03:16:20 AM »

So the heated Blues Deluxe debate must wait cause its Rebel 20 time!

I tracked a band who used the Rebel on the recording. It was metal in the vein of Maiden and I was amazed at what we got out of that little amp.

So I did a little research and couldn't find anything too bad so I picked one up today. $599 head and $250 cab.

First let get this out of the way since its totally worthless otherwise- it looks Bitchin. And specifically use "bitchin" cause only someone who would say that really cares how it looks. But they would be right- it does look bitchin.

Im going to make this quick-

Pros-
Cheap
Fun distortion, no need for a pedal
clean functional package
decent out of the box tone
The knobs work at 1 and at 10- now thats awesome. Its worth turning them ALL THE WAY UP OR DOWN!

Cons-
Crappy top end (but this is fixable- see next con)
SHIT TUBES- they sound terrible. I almost returned it because of that contemporary fizzy top end especially OD. Which is less contemporary taste and more kids growing up with shit groove tubes and getting used to not sounding good...
*** this was fixed 100% by putting a matched pair of RCA 60s greyplates in V1 and V2.
Construction slighlty fishy- grill on back had no washers and chipped paint around ALL the screws. I removed the chassis to replace the tubes and there was some light glue coming up from the bottom where the covering was attached. The wiring on the other hand lood good so these are more cosmetic issues.

Grey areas-
Tube mix knob- I LOVE it but it isn't as drastic as some would like.
Watt mix knob- again I LOVE it but not drastic. Which is also due to the fact that most people have NO IDEA how wattage works and 2 watts is NOT 1/10th of 20 watts...

OVERALL-

Im keeping it. Replacing the tubes made it go from OK to AWESOME- no joke. It has ice pick in the vein of the blues deluxe but not as bad AND replacing the tubes did NOT do for the blues deluxe what it does for the Egnater. I was amazed at the difference...

Its loud enough for clubs but thats pushing it - I would get a different amp or at least a different or 2nd cab. I got it for recording and screwing around so I wouldn't be turning my Princetons on everyday anymore. It blends awesome with the Princetons cause its a thinner contemporary tone - airs out the top.

I would absolutely recommend it if you replace the tubes. Even with the slight build issues I had, Im still keeping it. I would say its one hell of a little amp!

EDIT/ADD-

So I played until 3am last night. Had clients at 9:30 am and Im back on it again but this time Im trying my effects collection. Im going MXR dynacomp (original)to a Lovepedal COT 50 gold to a boss dm-2. Its freakin low volume Plexi HEAVEN! Im really impressed!

Ive run the cot50 gold for YEARS and the fenders always killed a lot of its "Plexiness" but in a VERY cool way- so I didn't care. I loved it! But now Im hearing what Sean intended for this pedal and its awesome!

But again realize, I was looking for a slightly thinner toned amp.

Damn... The original 65 Fender reverb unit I bought got here just NOW! Life is good!

Mike P

Re: Egnater Rebel 20 head and 1x12 cab
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 05:11:07 PM »

I'm very curious about this amp.  Could you post clips, specifically the "Plexi" sounding clips?

Thanks in advance!

JGauthier

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 08:46:49 PM »

If I track anything I can post, I will, but I wont set up just to post. The Egnater is more for daily use to save my nicer amps for tracking, as in I dont track it (other than content I cant post). But I haven't done any metal where I would choose it over the others for me as a player.

This amp is really different sounding, even if using it without pushing it too hard. Very contemporary ie thin but in a very cool way.

Ive been playing my new GVCG Tele through it for days and I still really like it. I still prefer the Princetons but the contemporary tone of the rebel is growing on me. Mostly clean (gain at 9pm). MXR dynacomp to Boss DM-2 to 65 Reverb Unit to Rebel. COT50 Gold for OD.

BTW Theres nothing plexi about the Rebel... Thats a pedal Im referring to. I prefer my gain from pedals over the stock tube gain even with the tube change. Its fun but not what I look for. I like lovepedal for OD- cot 50, plexi 100/800, eternity are his big 3. The thin quality of the amp allowed the pedal to sound more true, than the mid range of the Fenders overpowering it tweed style.

JELTONE

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 11:41:59 AM »

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and wanted to enter with a question maybe someone could help with.

What is the best way (pedal) or any other method (besides rolling back on the guitar volume) to go from the natural higer gain of the amp to a clean sound?  In essence I love the clean tone and the overdriven tone of the amp itself and I want to be able to go from clean to high gain and to have a fuzz incorporated as well.

Thanks for any responses

JGauthier

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:27:23 PM »

Hey glad you are here, but this is the wrong forum for your question. Look around the different sections/forums and see where might fit best.

And FYI, incase anyone is wondering...

Absolutely LOVE this little amp especially with pedals or in stereo with a Princeton. I recorded my favorite track ever with the Egnater and a Princeton...

brianpcooney

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 12:46:59 PM »

Hey, J...just out of curiosity:  what tubes came with your head?  Mine are JJ's and they sound just fine.  I haven't noticed any of the top end issues you mention.  

And just to add, I really dig this amp.  The more I play with it the more I like it.  You're right that the tube and watt knobs are cool and that they are subtle at best.  But I do find myself keeping the watt wide open at 20 and the tube choice on the 84s.  The more I play it on the 6V6 side the more I find it lacking character.  

I've plugged it into my old Marshall 4x12 and it sounds great and BIG!  But so far I've been really pleased with plugging it into my Motherload and recording line out into my Daking pre.  Best results so far with using the Motherload and I think that has something to do with the low wattage of the amp.  

JGauthier

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 03:51:42 AM »

Mine were JJs as well PLUS they were the new JJs where they make sure they dont suck before they put them in.

If you dont hear the fizzzzzzzz, you haven't heard overdrive on a vintage fender tweed- any of the models!

Even with the NOS tubes, the overdrive is still that contemporary fizzy type, just without the absolute suck top end. Im not surprised you got one you like, but mines next to some vintage amps and Ive used 3 different rebel 20s- all fiizzzzzzzzzzzzz... I prefer mine with the NOS tubes by far.

BUT- I like it! I bought it BECAUSE its thin and fizzy relatively! Its a better loudspeaker than head distortion machine but I push the gain a little.

Its also louder than you possibly imagine when you crank it up!

I set the watts at 9 oclock (just above 2) and usually use it lower volume. Otherwise its at 20.

And agreed, I dont use 6V6 at all- especially considering what 6V6s I have here and at work.

Its already made it to record and numerous industrials so I still give it a thumbs up.

And I dont think it sounds bad- just toooooooo contemporary. Like an MP3 amp! But I use that to my advantage. BTW I use a tonebone British with it and it just KILLS! The last guys I played with, the drummer asked me to turn down! But I went loud on purpose cause he always askes the other guitarist to turn up.... Again amazing for a little amp and mini cab!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.