R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any DIY EQ interest?  (Read 52033 times)

Noah Mintz

Re: Any DIY EQ interest?
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2008, 02:31:34 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Wed, 09 April 2008 13:47

Ok, this is cool - I had two guys volunteer to bang on the design a bit and also support those who need it during the build process, so I met with my tech today and we went over the basics. to keep this simple (and keep it as affordable as possible), we decided to skip the inductors, so it's shelf only, will allow for boost and cut at variable frequencies. Will have a solid state buffer and makeup amp, so interfacing won't be an issue. This should result in a very clean and transparent EQ that's good for overall shaping.

Obviously if you want something more complex, it's up to you, but this will be the basic design. We can have a mod thread if people want to...

More to come...

Sorry if this is a repeat comment because I don't have time to read the entire thread, but...

the idea of an 'open source' DIY EQ seems like a great idea. Good EQ design is not a simple thing and I can see it as greatly beneficial to have a bunch of minds/ideas on a hardware design.  
Noah Mintz Mastering at Lacquer Channel http://www.lacquerchannel.com

bblackwood

« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2008, 02:38:09 PM »

David Glasser wrote on Wed, 09 April 2008 12:57

See if you can configure it so the gain stage can be a 2520/990/Forsell form factor.

Yep, that's included - thanks!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Jeff Baggett

« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2008, 08:18:36 AM »

any progress on this?
Jeff Baggett
Franklin Mastering
615-491-6000

bblackwood

« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2008, 09:51:08 AM »

Jeff Baggett wrote on Wed, 27 August 2008 07:18

any progress on this?

No, my tech has been buried and hasn't had the chance to do anything with it.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

OLDTUBEY

« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2009, 01:45:00 AM »

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I'm interested in participating! Yes, I know this is sort of late and is in response to a post submitted in 2004:)..... I have a little bit of experience with the building of both passive and active EQ's as well as other high end audio from the ground up. 'Been doing it since about 1974. The last company I worked with off and on since about '92 made some very good equipment. Their EQ's were considered by many to be the very best in the world and definitely regarded as the industry standard. Unfortunately my 'Boss' man as I call him Cool started losing his mind several months ago and then one day just stopped communicating. There must be some sort of curse on that old school. Now I think that he/they may have dropped off the face of the Earth suddenly and left me holdin one of the bags:).....I was also a procurement agent for them for a number of years.....got about 30,000 pounds of the stuff in the basement....along with a whole bunch of extraordinarily hard to find three legged semiconductors.... that go into some little modules... I refer to them as the 'Motorola Diamonds'.... The 'Boss' keeps his dwindling inventory of em locked up in a Safe I think......have a few schematics too:)..... But I'm not gonna be around much longer.I was thinking that maybe I should sell this stuff while I'm still alive and give the money to a children's research hospital or something.
But I'd really like to make sure that they've actually closed down, outta business and aren't just hiding from me, before I go and let the cat outta the bag. Otherwise they might come gunnin for me. Anybody know anything? Any ideas?

Kind Regards,

Gruntboy Alf from hillbilly heaven

dcollins

« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2009, 06:31:53 AM »

OLDTUBEY wrote on Wed, 28 January 2009 22:45

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I'm interested in participating! Yes, I know this is sort of late and is in response to a post submitted in 2004:)..... I have a little bit of experience with the building of both passive and active EQ's as well as other high end audio from the ground up. 'Been doing it since about 1974. The last company I worked with off and on since about '92 made some very good equipment. Their EQ's were considered by many to be the very best in the world and definitely regarded as the industry standard. Unfortunately my 'Boss' man as I call him Cool started losing his mind several months ago and then one day just stopped communicating. There must be some sort of curse on that old school. Now I think that he/they may have dropped off the face of the Earth suddenly and left me holdin one of the bags:).....I was also a procurement agent for them for a number of years.....got about 30,000 pounds of the stuff in the basement....along with a whole bunch of extraordinarily hard to find three legged semiconductors.... that go into some little modules... I refer to them as the 'Motorola Diamonds'.... The 'Boss' keeps his dwindling inventory of em locked up in a Safe I think......have a few schematics too:)..... But I'm not gonna be around much longer.I was thinking that maybe I should sell this stuff while I'm still alive and give the money to a children's research hospital or something.
But I'd really like to make sure that they've actually closed down, outta business and aren't just hiding from me, before I go and let the cat outta the bag. Otherwise they might come gunnin for me. Anybody know anything? Any ideas?

Kind Regards,

Gruntboy Alf from hillbilly heaven

I think it's a terrific first post.

DC

Matt_G

« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2009, 08:42:58 AM »

Especially considering that he registered in September 2008 & it's taken him almost 6 months to do this first post. So I guess we're talking about a British EQ? Would be nice to know what company you used to work for Smile
Matthew Gray Mastering

Brisbane Australia

Ben F

« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2009, 05:54:35 PM »

OLDTUBEY wrote on Thu, 29 January 2009 17:15

The last company I worked with off and on since about '92 made some very good equipment. Their EQ's were considered by many to be the very best in the world and definitely regarded as the industry standard. Unfortunately my 'Boss' man as I call him Cool started losing his mind several months ago and then one day just stopped communicating. There must be some sort of curse on that old school. Now I think that he/they may have dropped off the face of the Earth suddenly and left me holdin one of the bags:).....

Hey man, was that company Sontec by any chance?

Steffen

« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2009, 07:16:09 AM »

I just came over this thread lately and got inspired  Embarassed
4 bands, boost only, broad fixed bandwidth, covering the entire frequency range (and above, the upper band goes up to 27k to add air).
the absolutely cool thing about it is, since we work with switches here, all taps can be made from the same restorstring so it acts like a pot with 4 wipers. it can´t get more minmalistic I think   Very Happy

here are a few shots:

http://www.diygallery.de/forum/EQP4/EPQ4A.jpg

http://www.diygallery.de/forum/EQP4/EPQ4B.jpg

matched filterboards and resistorladder

http://www.diygallery.de/forum/EQP4/filterboards.jpg

Elmas  Cool

http://www.diygallery.de/forum/EQP4/elmas.jpg

http://www.diygallery.de/forum/EQP4/EPQ4inside.jpg
http://www.diygallery.de/forum/DIYgallery.gif
www.diygallery.de
Steffen Mueller

Gold

« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2009, 07:28:57 AM »

Very nice! The single resistor string for all bands is clever. The styling is excellent as always.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

bblackwood

« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2009, 08:14:42 AM »

Steffen wrote on Mon, 30 March 2009 06:16

I just came over this thread lately and got inspired

Wow, Steffen - amazing as usual!
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Steffen

« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2009, 09:29:02 AM »

thanx guys!

btw...an interesting observation (hope this isn´t old news)

I already suspected (real) parallel passive to be much different in therms of band interaction
from the "usual" aktive (summing) eqs. last friday I used my new toy for a few trax
and I was amazed with how much boost you can get away without messing it all up.
if you feather a little it keeps sounding natural even with 3dB/band boost or more.

so I did some measurements (which actually proved what I suspected)

an active eq and my parallel passive one band set to 500Hz/10dB boost ,another
band to 2kHz/10dB boost. active Qs matched to the passive so it looks
quite similar when the bands are soloed. but the fun starts when both
band are activated. the passive still looks like 2 10dB boosts (the center frequencies seem to
shift a little due to the interaction) but the active looks like a big broad 15dB boost
at around 1K

index.php/fa/11797/0/

def a different kind of eq ....but I absolutely love it after one day of use Smile

btw: I have no chance to compare but I´d expect the manley MP or the gyraf in between these
two extremes of interaction. if somebody is interested to evaluate let me know..

www.diygallery.de
Steffen Mueller

Andrew Hamilton

« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2009, 10:14:34 AM »

Steffen wrote on Mon, 30 March 2009 09:29

thanx guys!

btw...an interesting observation (hope this isn´t old news)

Wow.  How about 1/3 dB steps?  Gorgeous build.  

index.php/fa/11797/0/

O.K., but the 2k and 500 Hz colors are backwards, right?  Rolling Eyes

[sorry.  The graph really is gorgeous.  When I first read the post I hadn't followed all the leader and thought your new toy was an AP or dScope, rather than the eq.  What is that graph generated with?]

I´d expect the manley MP or the gyraf in between these
two extremes of interaction. if somebody is interested to evaluate let me know..

The Manley can be a little narrow or very wide, but I think the most telling part of its "parallel reality" is what the manual mentions - that when two switches are set to the same general frequency, the respective power of each is less than when either switch is soloed (as it were), so that extreme-looking settings aren't necessarily all that extreme.  Plus, one is encouraged to combine a boost with a nearby cut in order to achieve custom transforms that cure [anomalies of] both space (f) and time (
www.serifsound.com
premastering for CD and DVD-A.  Featuring FTP load in and delivery as well as analog tape transfers.

Steffen

« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »

Quote:

Wow. How about 1/3 dB steps? Gorgeous build.

thanx Andrew, the 1/2 steps feel just right...but I miss a 5th band centered@1k
it was ment to be "helper eq" but it´s turning out to be the primary workhorse haha Smile

Quote:

O.K., but the 2k and 500 Hz colors are backwards, right?

ups, yeah you are right..typo
the plots are made with fuzzmeasure  
http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/FuzzMeasure/

btw...the rise at 40k seem to come from  parasitic capacitance in the lomid inductor

ah, and good idea..have to check what happens with 2 band more narrow or equal frequency.
www.diygallery.de
Steffen Mueller

Viitalahde

« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2009, 11:12:53 AM »

Nice work Steff. Reminds me of my new EQ that I use every day. Dual mono in construction, +/-3dB, three bands, six frequencies per band. I have a proper front panel sitting right here, I only need to install it. Then I'll dare to take pics of it. I've been using mine for some 3-4 months now, and it has came invaluable in shaping the tone without really adding anything.

But I say the sound is in the caps, and in this case paper in oil rules for the filters. Mundorf Supreme for the output. 7193+6SN7 in the amp, and a regulated 300v B+. I used polypropylene motor run caps in the PSU, they're cheap, good and will never wear out. Bloody huge, though.

Mine also has the filters in parallel, and you most certainly can bend the sound without hurting it. Something very nice happens when I cut from 350Hz and 75Hz at the same time, for example. Very broad bands that interact.

My new EQ is so nice in cutting things that I use it more often like that. It does not punch a hole in anything, things just open up where I want them to.

Jaakko Viitalähde
Virtalähde Mastering, Kuhmoinen/Finland
http://www.virtalahde.com
   http://www.facebook.com/pages/Helsinki-Finland/Virtalahde-Ma stering/278311633180
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.