R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Any DIY EQ interest?  (Read 52244 times)

bblackwood

Re: Any DIY EQ interest?
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2004, 02:39:37 PM »

Par-Metal is my chassis of choice.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

theo mack

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2004, 09:26:31 PM »

How much $$ are we guessing for parts?
Are we trying to stay under $300/ ch + PS and Case?
Or do you think it will be more.

theo mack
Freelance Audio Guy

Las Vegas, NV.

bblackwood

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2004, 09:48:00 PM »

I honestly have no idea. I don't really care about the cost, but I'd guess that excluding chassis and PSU, $300/ch would probably  be more than enough...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

jfrigo

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2004, 09:53:12 PM »

Terry Demol wrote on Wed, 28 July 2004 20:19

Yes, there are 3 band Banxandall peaking EQ circuits
that work in NF loop of an inverting OPA.
I'll dig one up and send a link tonight.

Terry,

Did you come accross that link? I'd be interested in taking a look if possible. Thanks.

Brad,

What's your preference? Apart from "whatever the group decides," which of those bar graphs contains your vote?

bblackwood

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2004, 10:02:24 PM »

jfrigo wrote on Thu, 05 August 2004 20:53

Brad,

What's your preference? Apart from "whatever the group decides," which of those bar graphs contains your vote?

LCR. There's something in me that's wanted to build a modern 'passive' EQ for years...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Fabio Bauman

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2004, 04:02:25 PM »

Hi Brad, Jaakko, everybody.

I'm new around here, hope to learn some mastering trick from you guys Surprised  As the subject is DIY EQ, I though you might be interested on  my Sontec DIY page. Lots of people are building it right now, I should have news there soon. On meantime, you can find some directions and layouts and schematics and experiences and docs...

http://www.thediypill.phx.com.br/diy_sontec.htm

cheers!
Fabio
cheers,
Fabio

bblackwood

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2004, 05:40:02 PM »

I've looked at that before and have a couple of thoughts:
1 - too complicated for what I'm trying to do here
2 - not sure it will sound like a Sontec without the HS-1000s
3 - I'm not sure I'd even feel right about it as Sontec is still in business (though that would be called debatable by some). I don't think it's kewl to build a clone of something one can actually go out and buy.

Maybe some day, but for now I want to build something simpler and more original (or at least not in production, even in theory).
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

JPRisus

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2004, 11:56:58 AM »

I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but any chance if including a cut band in the midrange? say, 220, 330, 470, 680? I don't know about anyone else, but that would increase this unit's usefullness tenfold IMHO. too complicated? maybe we could make this optional?

BTW, my simple monitor is coming out great, thanks for the help Brad and everyone!
J.P. Sheganoski
Engineer/Mixer
www.RisusProductions.com
Purevolume.com/risusproductions

bobkatz

« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2004, 06:53:11 PM »

I vote for a midrange cut, too. How about something like the old Pultec where you could select boost or cut? And be sure to use a big toggle like one of those old vacuum cleaner switches.  Anyone have Pultec blue paint  Smile
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

JPRisus

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2004, 07:31:39 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Wed, 11 August 2004 18:53

I vote for a midrange cut, too. How about something like the old Pultec where you could select boost or cut? And be sure to use a big toggle like one of those old vacuum cleaner switches.  Anyone have Pultec blue paint  Smile

Don't forget bakelite knobs!

Seriously though, i'd be up for going the extra mile on a mid-cut circuit... that would change this project from a fun DIY novelty item that would get limited use, to something I could use every day in a much more useful manner (something more akin to tracking and mixing. Yeah yeah, this is a mastering forum, i know...). After thinking of the Hz I mentioned earlier, i'm still pretty hell-bent on 220, 330, and 470 for the cut bands (fixed Q, something musical). Aside from that, it would be nice to see a HF boost around 10-12k, which wasn't listed by DC on the other thread/post.

The prospects of this EQ are very exciting!

Brad, you mentioned you already had a PCB source lined up... any chance it's these guys?
pcbexpress.com
They look cool, priced them out for a DIY SSL comp I thought about trying a while back.

BTW, I think I gave props to Hammond chassis recently on here... i'm offically taking that back, not digging it AT ALL. Useable for the time being, but i'll need to find a better 1/2 rack unit in the future for my monitor. On the other hand, Hammonds rule for guitar pedals.
J.P. Sheganoski
Engineer/Mixer
www.RisusProductions.com

hollywood_steve

« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2004, 08:03:50 PM »

BTW, I think I gave props to Hammond chassis recently on here... i'm offically taking that back, not digging it AT ALL

Curious what the problem is?  I have used their 2RU & 3RU chassis without any problems.  What happened?

JPRisus

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2004, 08:52:23 PM »

hollywood_steve wrote on Wed, 11 August 2004 20:03

BTW, I think I gave props to Hammond chassis recently on here... i'm offically taking that back, not digging it AT ALL

Curious what the problem is?  I have used their 2RU & 3RU chassis without any problems.  What happened?

Steve... perhaps my problem was due specifically to their 1/2 rack 1U model, but the front panel design doesn't make it compatible for the engraving that I planned and designed (which followed standard measure and design), it's slightly higher than 1 RU, only some of the edges were finished, a couple of the self-tapping screws ended up stripping themselves on the way in, and the corner brackets (which were not mentioned in the product description or measurements) made it impossible to include the amount of connectors I originally spec'd it for. I've had to cut a few corners that i'm not so happy about, but in the end I do have a killer passive monitor that was a dramatic step up from my previous situation. The enclosure is the only aspect of this project i'm not 100% satisfied with.

FWIW, I went a much more simple approach to my monitor than some of the mastering guys, since i'm working in a tracking/mixing DAW room... Grayhill 6-pos rotary and DPDT center-off toggle, TKD 10k stereo pot (as suggested by John Klett for someone else's desk), 18awg stranded copper wire throughout, unbalanced, all neutrik connectors (RCA, TRS, XLR for options), Kilo aluminum knobs (very similar to Manley's). Will post pics of inside and out once I'm happy with the aesthetics...  front panel is blank right now. Man I love those knobs!!!

Thanks to everyone who helped/suggested/warned or whom I flat-out bothered, 'specially B-rad!
J.P. Sheganoski
Engineer/Mixer
www.RisusProductions.com

dcollins

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2004, 03:30:42 AM »

hollywood_steve wrote on Wed, 11 August 2004 17:03

They are cheap and have bad tolerances.  I like Lansings, and use plenty of LMB's, as well.

DC

bblackwood

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2004, 09:53:33 AM »

JPRisus wrote on Wed, 11 August 2004 18:31

Brad, you mentioned you already had a PCB source lined up... any chance it's these guys?
pcbexpress.com
They look cool, priced them out for a DIY SSL comp I thought about trying a while back.

No, I have a friend who's father owns a PCB manufacturing facility in Europe. They will manufacture to our specs and are very reasonable (if friends can't take advantage of a little nepotism, what god its it?).

I might have said it earlier, but I'm really happy with the options and build quality of the cases from Par-Metal. A little more expensive, but I'm thrilled with the way my console turned out..
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

bblackwood

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2004, 09:56:20 AM »

OK, the consensus seems to be passive filter sections, 'boost' and cut on 2 bands (hi and lo freqs) with a midband cut, 990-style opamp factor.

Again, I'll start crunching numbers ASAP and after everything is checked in Spice, somebody will do the board layout for us...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.