R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Ahmadinejad  (Read 9221 times)

Daniel Farris

Ahmadinejad
« on: June 14, 2009, 11:19:13 AM »

Okay folks, I realize that the last eight years have left some of us in America with the impression that "anti-intellectualism equals patriotism," but it stretches credibility to claim that after three plus years, you still can't pronounce Ahmadinejad.

I get it. You think that if you say Ahma-blah-blah-blah, or some other cute willful mispronunciation of it, it will show your disrespect for Iran and, therefore, your patriotism.

It doesn't. It just makes you look willfully ignorant.

I inherited this pet peeve from a friend of mine who just goes crazy when people intentionally mispronounce someone's name as a sign of disrespect.

Like when someone says, "J. Michael Fox... or whatever his name is," as if we'll think you have a crush on him if you say it correctly.

See willful ignorance like "democrat party" and "Sodom Hussein" and whatever this week's popular mispronunciation is for Sotomayor.

This stuff is different from idiocy like "nukular" because it's intentional, and it drives me absolutely NUTS.

If you don't respect someone, that's fine. But pronouncing someone's name the way they pronounce it isn't about respecting them, it's about respecting yourself.

I have no love at all for Ahmadinejad, but I pronounce his name correctly, because I have just a shred of self-respect.

DF

Tomas Danko

Re: Ahmadinejad
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:41:29 AM »

Daniel Farris wrote on Sun, 14 June 2009 16:19

Okay folks, I realize that the last eight years have left some of us in America with the impression that "anti-intellectualism equals patriotism," but it stretches credibility to claim that after three plus years, you still can't pronounce Ahmadinejad.

I get it. You think that if you say Ahma-blah-blah-blah, or some other cute willful mispronunciation of it, it will show your disrespect for Iran and, therefore, your patriotism.

It doesn't. It just makes you look willfully ignorant.

You mean like, using the word Alsihad for Pro Tools?  Cool
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Barry Hufker

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 11:50:33 AM »

You'll be saying his name quite often for a little while longer

then not so much...

Daniel Farris

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 11:50:36 AM »

Tomas Danko wrote on Sun, 14 June 2009 08:41

You mean like, using the word Alsihad for Pro Tools?  Cool

Well, maybe. But that's really a nickname, I suppose.

For whatever reason, that doesn't bother me in the same way... and I'm a ProTools user. Maybe because ProTools isn't a person.

I sometimes use insulting nicknames for places, like Home Despot and bLowes. Or Blood Bath and Beyond.

I think that's different. But maybe it isn't.

EDIT: I'll tell you why that stuff is different. It's because in none of the above mentioned cases is anyone disingenuously trying to convey ignorance about what the thing is actually called.

DF

MagnetoSound

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:52:28 PM »

I thought this was going to be a thread about election rigging ...

'Ah'm-a-diddled-ya'

Razz

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Taproot

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 01:13:47 PM »

All right everybody. Let's gather 'round. Daniel.......whatever his name is, needs a group hug.  Razz

Stuff like that gets old, but "I'm a dinner jacket" has actually gotten an out loud chuckle out of me.  Laughing
Jeffrey Reed
Taproot Audio Design
Oxford, Mississippi
www.taprootaudiodesign.com
www.myspace.com/taprootaudio

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks the Mexican border pays rent!" -Foghorn Leghorn

Daniel Farris

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »

Taproot wrote on Sun, 14 June 2009 10:13

Stuff like that gets old, but "I'm a dinner jacket" has actually gotten an out loud chuckle out of me.  Laughing

Actually, that is funny. I had never heard that.

Let me be clear. What bothers me is when the person saying it is actually trying to convince you that they don't really know how it's pronounced. Usually because they think people will think them haughty or snooty because they say it correctly.

Pretending.

Playing dumb. Drives me nuts.

I'm a dinner jacket, not so much. That's pretty funny.

DF

Barry Hufker

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »

For the record Daniel, I agree with you.  The Bush years made it unacceptable to sound as if one had received an education.  Maybe the Obama years will reverse that.

DarinK

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »

"I'm a dinner jacket" is the phrase Katie Couric said she used to learn/remember how to correctly pronounce Ahmadinejad.

Yeah, the purposeful "accidental" pronunciation of names is as annoying as someone using the "whatshisname - oh yeah..." ploy when they obviously know exactly about whom they are speaking.

Strummer

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 07:02:31 PM »

I agree with Daniel, it's stupid to act stupid. I can't pronounce many of these names without working, but to just make something up and go with it is lazy and disrespectful.

I wrote a song a couple of years ago, I was sort of saying the same thing:

Foreign names sound in the news
Fodder for the fools
Gathered around the water coolers
And sitting on barstools

I do have to say though that when Garrison Keillor said he was broadcasting from "Reallyreallybahd" in a routine I laughed.

jetbase

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 08:14:13 PM »

I'll never forget seeing a televised face to face interview (I'm sure it was an Australian reporter, but I could be wrong) with Sadam Hussein via an interpreter. At one point Sadam Hussein referred to George Bush as 'Mr Bush'. The interpreter relayed the sentence but referred to him simply as 'Bush'. Sadam, realising what the interpreter had said, stopped him mid-sentence & rebuked him, telling him to tell the interviewer that he never said 'Bush', he had said 'Mr Bush'.
That really taught me something about respect, even for your enemies.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

PRobb

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 10:34:20 PM »

Daniel Farris wrote on Sun, 14 June 2009 13:23

Taproot wrote on Sun, 14 June 2009 10:13

Actually, that is funny. I had never heard that.

Let me be clear. What bothers me is when the person saying it is actually trying to convince you that they don't really know how it's pronounced. Usually because they think people will think them haughty or snooty because they say it correctly.

Pretending.

Playing dumb. Drives me nuts.

Agreed. And it goes deeper. Intelligence has somehow become suspect. If you know how to say his name, you are suspected of knowing a little too much, and possibly being a sympathizer.
Quote:

I'm a dinner jacket, not so much. That's pretty funny.

DF

That's funny, I was going to post that if someone hadn't beaten me to it.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Barry Hufker

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 11:12:55 PM »

"Ach, I'm in a jihad" would be a closer pronunciation I would think.

NelsonL

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 02:42:57 AM »

I was actually supposed to be in Iran this week, but have been delayed due to a miscommunication about our visas. Probably for the best, and the actual plan was to arrive after the election ended which-- until things settle down, isn't really over yet.

A very old friend of mine is there now, reporting on the situation-- hope he's OK.

I would agree that willful ignorance in jest is kind of funny at times, but not in the public sphere with regards to matters of State, and especially not when the person in question's willful ignorance is so politically inflammatory.

Some of my pal's recent work on the subject-- haven't heard from him in several days now, but I think he's got his hands full at the moment:

http://www.slate.com/id/2220521/

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/10/opinion/10iht-edrezian.htm l

Daniel Farris

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 03:59:58 AM »

jetbase wrote on Sun, 14 June 2009 17:14

I'll never forget seeing a televised face to face interview (I'm sure it was an Australian reporter, but I could be wrong) with Sadam Hussein via an interpreter. At one point Sadam Hussein referred to George Bush as 'Mr Bush'. The interpreter relayed the sentence but referred to him simply as 'Bush'. Sadam, realising what the interpreter had said, stopped him mid-sentence & rebuked him, telling him to tell the interviewer that he never said 'Bush', he had said 'Mr Bush'.
That really taught me something about respect, even for your enemies.

Even though, at the time of the first war, most Iraqis were calling him "Bosh" which I'm told means "nothing."

DF
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.